Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Northern Evergreen

jodik_gw
15 years ago

Here's my northern, jungle grown rendition of Evergreen, The Hippeastrum...

{{gwi:445514}}

{{gwi:445515}}

{{gwi:445517}}

{{gwi:445519}}

{{gwi:445522}}

This is a Silver Squill... beautiful mottled leaves, and I think it might be coming into flower...

{{gwi:445524}}

The jungle is so full that I'm beginning to double stack pots...

{{gwi:445526}}

Thanks for looking! I hope you enjoyed another peek into my northern grown, indoor jungle!

The Best of the Holidays to you all!

And, Happy Gardening!

Comments (9)

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

Nice little Ledebouria......these are grown almost exclusively for the leaves as the flowers on virtually all the species are hardly worth mentioning, but the leaves can be beautiful :o) Dan

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

Its so very GREEN!! Awesome Jodi!!

• frank27603
    15 years ago

How pretty, Jodi! Those green blooms sure are fancy! Gosh, look at all that pollen too! What creations are you thinking up to cross it with? You certainly have to get creative when running out of space, and you have done it! I love it!

That is a cute little Silver Sqill? I am not familiar with it, but the leaves remind me of a Toad Lily sorta. Hope it does bloom even if it isn't as big and impressive as a hippi bloom...hehe!

Thanks for sharing!

-Frank

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, you guys!

The Silver Squill was sent to me by Kitty... she gave me the Latin name, and I looked it up... while the flowers are small and of little consequence, the leaves and the bulbous growth habit are really cool! The leaves remind me of a Paph. orchid I have, speckled and very interesting! It's a neat little plant!

The green of this Evergreen is very intense! I turned off one of the shop lights so I could get a properly colored photo. It's really that green! I do love this one... and as for crossing, I may have to save some pollen, because the only other blooms I'll have will be the 2nd scape of Lemon Star. I don't think Carina or Star of Holland will be ready any time soon.

So far, I recommend Evergreen... at least, for it's blooms!

As for the cramped jungle, I really need to tear it all apart and figure out a way to fit everyone comfortably into their alcove! Problem is... it's a huge job that I'm not looking forward to!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are a few update photos of Evergreen... more buds have opened, and if it's possible, she's more beautiful than ever!

{{gwi:445528}}

{{gwi:445530}}

{{gwi:445535}}

{{gwi:445538}}

{{gwi:445541}}

Hope you enjoyed those! Happy Gardening!

• chazparas
    15 years ago

at the greenhouse today there was a pot of the silver squill, must have been 18" across, kind of overgrown but lovely. It's the mother plant they use to propogate their sale plants from. It was setting buds as well, the person working there said the flowers are not all that impressive almost like a liparis orchid simple but nice. However he said when this pot is in full bloom it is quite a site and that I should come back in about 6 weeks with my camera.

Jodi, that Evergreen is just stop-in-your-tracks gorgeous. Would love to see about 4 or 5 of those in bloom in a single pot.

thanks again for posting, love your photos!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Chaz! I can only imagine what an entire potful of the Silver Squill looks like... must be impressive when in bloom all together!

The Evergreen is probably the most interesting Hippeastrum I've grown to date! The shape and color combo is out of this world! I so wish I had some other cybisters in bloom right now... wouldn't that be some interesting cross material?! I can just picture crossing this with La Paz, for instance, or Sumatra... or how about Evergreen x Sweet Lilian?! Hmmmm... future thoughts....

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Jodi- That Evergreen is awesome! Very dainty and exquisite! I know you are enjoying the show!

Speaking of crossing, I have Sweet Lilian who is getting sweeter every day. She is starting to open now and looks to have 6 blooms on the (wayward) first scape! If you want, I will gladly pop some pollen in the mail to you! I would love to know if there is info on what crosses with what successfully. It would save a lot of trial and error maybe?

-Frank

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Frank! Evergreen is a real looker, that's for sure! I'm not even certain if a cross would work between Evergreen and Sweet Lilian... there are certain hybrids that are Diploid, and others that are Triploid or Tetraploid, or some such thing... that's the only part of all this that I'm not too clear about... which is which, I couldn't say for sure. I think Elizabeth and Maria are compiling lists of which is which and what will cross with what... it's the one area that's a bit fuzzy to me.

Thanks for the offer of pollen... I do appreciate it. Don't worry about it, though... I'm going to self a few blooms, and use Lemon Star for a few... if it works, great. If not, that's ok, too. Since the second scape on Evergreen is a bust, I don't think there's time to mail pollen... I only have one shot at a pollination this bloom cycle. Next cycle, I'll have a lot more to choose from as some of my other Hippis will be blooming, too. The first year is always a test year!

I really need to learn more about the Ploidy of the particular hybrids and cybisters, etc...

Sponsored
More Discussions