Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this Lowes Christmas Gift?

Posted by xineohpinakc 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 4, 09 at 13:35

This was "Christmas Gift" from Lowes. Any ideas what it is?

What is this?.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this Lowes Christmas Gift?

It is in such pitiful condition,that it is really hard to tell. It could be one of several. "Double record" is a possibility.
Del

o

Del, I was thinking 'Harlequin' or possibly 'Rainbow', but it sure ain't 'Christmas Gift'!

Rebecca

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 4, 09 at 20:27

It's definitely not Christmas Gift... possibly Aphrodite, or Double Record perhaps? Those would be my guesses.

With good culture, it should give you a better showing next bloom cycle. Perhaps it will turn out to be a really nice addition to your collection... you never know!

o

Thanks for the comments. The flower was damaged because the scape was pressed against the box. I am not unhappy though as the bulb is enormous (about the size of a softball). I don't have that many because of job loss and all so it is happy times jut to see a new color.

I got into these because my mother bought me a Red Lion as a gift about 3 years ago. Since that time I've just neglected it and it seems to thrive on non attention so I had to try a few more because they seem so easily worked with.

Maybe I'll get the white one later.

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 5, 09 at 9:18

That's how I started, too... with one lone Minerva bulb that I neglected pretty badly! It seemed to thrive on that neglect, blooming every spring!

I think one of the mistakes I've made along the way has been babying my acquired collection too much at times! They do not appreciate "wet feet", and to over water can quickly be the death of them.

So, as you get more involved with hippeastrum bulbs, remember how your initial neglect netted those nice results! Proper care is a good thing... don't get me wrong... but I think it's prudent to keep in mind that they prefer being treated almost like succulents.

o

I think that it's probably an Aphrodite.

o

If the bulb is huge, chances are it will send up another scape and that flower will be better formed. Good luck! Alana

o

Once people realize that hippy's love neglect, it all becomes a lot easier!

Bulbs the size of a softball = fun, with a good potential for another flower scape.

o

Mine finally bloomed and looks the same. I took a pic of the one at Lowe's before mine bloomed, it just had a tiny bit of pink on one petal. The bulbs are nice and big and healthy. There are lots of new roots growing. One still hasn't bloomed. There were no scapes on mine so no idea why the flowers are funky. I'm please though as I really like Aphrodite and she blooms well in my yard.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here