Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Donna's officially an "enabler".....

...I'm just saying!!
She knows if the title fits or not...maybe we could take a vote!! (hehehe)
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!
:-)
K

Comments (14)

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Ha, yeah, without question, but you and Maria are certainly helping to get people hooked. Happy New Year!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, and I won't say WHO....someone let me know that "K" had posted more bulbs. Well, of course I had to go look....some of the prices had dropped to $10/bulb and of course all the lovely photos of H. Aulicum that have been posted didn't help.

Is there a 12-step program for this "addiction"?
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Well Guys, actually, someone else alerted me that Komoriya was selling Autumn Rose Lady (in the middle of the night when I was sleeping, how dare they and of course they sold out immediately) so when they listed them in the middle of the afternoon I was right on it with with a little nudge from my friend again otherwise I might have missed them again!!

So I just had to get two of them as I've been waiting for this one for a long time and then I figured I might as well try a nelsonii which I've been looking at for a while and which they have just relisted a whole bunch of. I won't tattle on the prime enabeler of this last batch but I'm just at second place in this last episode of chad. I am very grateful as there was no way I wasn't going to buy Autumn Rose Lady and if I had missed it again I would have been extremely unhappy. And, (after I bought my own of course) I did try to persuade Kristi into buying an Autumn Rose Lady but she procrastinated too long and missed out only to find others to order! They were all gone within an hour!!

For those of you who don't know what Autumn Rose Lady is take a look at Irinka's to die for photos of this gorgeous bulb! She has managed to get hers to bloom twice in the past few years! Her photos are the reason this was at the top of my wish list and there are just a couple others that I haven't seen offered yet.

So a very Happy New Year to ALL of you and the folks at Komoriya are taking a 2 week vacation (with all the bulbs they've sold to us is it any wonder!!!) Now these bulbs won't be arriving until the latter half of the month. Fine with me!

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Rose Lady

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Happy New Year :)

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Happy New Year all!

My vote goes to Donna with Kristi a close second :)

Autumn Lady looks luscious. Luckily for me (from an enabling standpoint) anything with reticulatum in it dies here, so I will just have to enjoy your pictures.
    -J

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jody,
    Why do you suppose Reticulatum doesn't like you?? I had a whole pot die. They've thrived for well over a year, grew huge. The bulbs were the size of hard-boiled eggs, or eggs I guess. I have no clue what happened. I didn't start watering them any more or any less but they just gave up the ghost!

Any tips would be welcome!
    K

Original Author
    10 years ago

PS...Donna's done more "damage" in a shorter time!! Yay!! Way to go Donna!! Actually, she's the "Typhoid Mary" of CHAD!! Hehe!

She knows I luv her, so she knows ii wouldn't pick on her if I didn't like her so much! Besides, she's a tough cookie!

• lenanen
    10 years ago

I'd love to get "contaminated" by our dear D. but I fear all hope is gone, I'm too far far away and there are too many borders to cross...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh....Lena (or is it Leena - please advise);
    I think CHAD must be a good virus...and it knows no boundries. I suspect that the person she is "crediting" with her recent "activity" lives far away as well!!

That's the great thing about this list...you can get CHAD from touching your computer's keyboard just right. If you type F O R U M S G A R D E N W E B...etc...you could be infected.

I suspect you are and you either 1) don't know it yet, or 2) aren't ready to admit it!! If you lived closer, we'd get you to a meeting where you could stand up in front of a room of people just like yourself and say, "My name is Le(e)na, and I have CHAD"!
    ;-)
    Kristi

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Lena,

Denial is one of the first symptoms of CHAD :)

Kristi,
    I think H. reticulatum is gorgeous but each time I try to grow it it stays exactly the same - no growth - no beautiful flowers. So then I move it and then it sulks, so I move it again and then it dies. I have tried it indoors, outdoors, less water, more water with the same results, no growth (for years), sulking, death. Then I noticed that hybrids with reticulatum (tell-tale leaves) eventually succumb to the same process. So, for the sake of this poor species, I have decided to spare them the torment of trying to grow them :)
    -J

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Well, I'm here to report that my one pot of reticulatum so far is doing just fine. I bought them at the same time Kristi did from the same vendor and she got a much bigger pot with twice as many bulbs! When they first arrived I just repotted them without disturbing the roots into a little large clay pot and they sulked for the first 6 or more months. Then this summer they took off! The leaves grew to huge proportions and roots started growing out of the bottom of the pot! It's in the living room getting light filtered sun from two directions and I've been keeping it moderately moist but I don't let it dry out completely. I'm so happy with the leaves that even if it never blooms I will be satisfied. The spot were it resides is where it will stay until either it or I die!

{{gwi:445720}}

{{gwi:445782}}

The 3 largest leaves are 15" long and 2 & 5/8" wide! The bulbs are totally under the soil so I have no idea how large they are. I suppose this spring I will have the frightful task of repotting it...

Thanks for looking...Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 14:44

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Donna,

Amazing and beautiful and if it were mine I would not move it - ever:)
    Mine are grown outside and I think they might like cooler temps. I did try them inside - but they still weren't happy. I am glad to see that beautiful pot of them and can't wait to see them flower.
    -J

Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I kept mine too warm, but HoustonPat has some and his do just fine!
    My pot had 11 bulbs and 4 were the ones that I repotted and they died about 1.5 years later. I still have 7 bulbs and they are doing Ok.
    K

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

That's interesting about Houston Pat because I had suspected that it was high heat and high humidity the bulbs didn't like and maybe the wrong lighting when I brought them in. But if Pat can grow then in Houston, then we should be able to grow them. Hopefully he'll read this and give us some hints.
    -J