Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum 'Mocca' -- Creamy Papilio Hybrid

joshy46013
12 years ago

Hi Guys,

This is the beauty named 'Mocca' ;) It's a cut flower variety, it was sold as 'Cappuccino' for some reason? Enjoy!

{{gwi:445834}}

{{gwi:445836}}

Comments (37)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Lovely Josh, What are your plans for pollenation?

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna,

No plans.

This is quite a beautiful plant, it has a pink picotee and it's just gorgeous. This is probably my favorite hybrid I own at the moment, it's not too much and the coloring is incredibly subtle but beautiful! I'm very happy with this purchase. The flowers are quite large too!

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Josh1

I hope that my Moccas look like yours when they bloom.

Cheers,

Blanca

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I took the pic a bit too soon, they're starting to take more of a "Butterfly" shape as they mature!

These were sold as 'Cappuccino' by our beloved Maria! Pascal Berbee grows the same plant for cut flowers and it's named 'Mocca'. 'Fledermaus' is almost identical but with a stronger color?

I'm growing mine in a room where the temps are 65f and my plants are receiving very strong lighting from the windows and the plant lights. They grow slower but the flowers are much more vivid and colorful.

Josh

12 years ago

Josh, Please post pictures when she reaches her Butterfly shape..I find quite often I take pictures too soon (can't stop myself) and then a few days later some flowers get much better when they attain their final shape..(too bad it wasn't the same with people).I'm hoping it ends up looking like Fledermaus..which I absolutely love! The coloring is very similar, and as you say Fledermaus may be a bit darker...

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna,

I will give it another day or two before I take anymore pictures just to make sure I get it at its best.

I'm sure 'Fledermaus' is from the same batch of seedlings, they're almost identical really! The pictures really do not do 'Mocca' justice as it's one of the most beautiful color combinations I've seen. While the plant seems more of a brown in color in reality it seems more pink which is probably an attribute of H. evansiae somewhere in the genetic pool. The green of the flowers is almost translucent like H. papilio in the right lighting.

The scapes are probably about 2 1/2 feet in height like many of the Cybister hybrids. I'm really in awe of this plant, similar to 'Melfi' in coloring it is something you do not find in Hippeastrum often. Why it hasn't been released for cultivation I'm not sure as it's incredibly striking, maybe the growing isn't strong? Maybe because the scapes are so tall is another, I've noticed that amongst cut flower varieties.

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Josh,

Your photos and vivid description inspired me to plant the first of my 'Mocca' bulbs last night. The others will remain in cold storage a bit longer.

By the way, one of the 'Melfi' bulbs I bought from Paul late last winter, is just about ready to rebloom. The scape appeared suddenly, amid healthy green leaves, and has grown to over 22" in two weeks. This was a welcome Holiday surprise! For fun, I might freeze some 'Melfi' pollen and try a 'Mocca' x 'Melfi' cross.

Cyber hugs to all,

Blanca

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Blanca,

My 'Melfi' is just about to bloom as well!!!! How strange they're about the same height too, wowza!!!

Josh

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

Ahhh... she's absolutely stunning!

12 years ago

Josh, Did you take a picture when she got her "Butterfly Wings" I'd love to see just how close she can get to Fledermaus......

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna,

I didn't have time but it's very close to 'Fledermaus'.

Maria did a great job giving it the name 'Cappuccino', that's what it reminds me of!

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna,

The picture on this thread of 'Fledermaus' looks exactly as mine did, exactly!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum from gardenweb

12 years ago

You didn't have time...?

Well, now I'll just have to wait for my own..and if it looks like Fledermaus, I will be a VERY happy camper...
    Thanks....

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna,

I was so incredibly busy :(

It looks exactly like the picture of 'Fledermaus' you posted in the link above tho, it matches to a T!

12 years ago

Ok, You're forgiven..;-) I'll just have to show some patience...like we're always telling everyone else to have...

12 years ago

She's a comin'...get a look at that pink picotee....

{{gwi:445838}}

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, isn't it gorgeous?

12 years ago

This was this morning..gonna be a week or so, and I WILL take pictures when and if she get's her butterfly shape...

12 years ago

{{gwi:445842}}

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

My one needs 4 days more! Am excited! :-)

12 years ago

{{gwi:445844}}

12 years ago

Hi..For all you coffee lovers out there here are my latest pictures of Cappuccino aka Mocca..I think I'm in love again...

{{gwi:445847}}

{{gwi:445851}}

{{gwi:445852}}

{{gwi:445856}}

{{gwi:445859}}

{{gwi:445861}}

sorry for the overload of pictures, I just couldn't stop myself..so Josh, do you think this is Fledermaus..I'm thinking like I think you said, that it has more pigment..a bit more vibrant...I absolutely love it!!!
    I have an Exotica that has just opened and I'm thinking I'll put some of this pollen on Exotica...same color palate more or less, I wouldn't want to change the colors..just some more variations of the same...

Donna

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

she is a real beauty! Congrats Donna and Josh!

• lenanen
    12 years ago

Mouthwatering!

Exciting cross with 'Exotica', I'm all for it, love the colors of both.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna,

Didn't I tell you how beautiful it was?! It is a true stunner that you MUST see in person to appreciate.

I saved pollen for an attempt to back-cross it on to papilio, hopefully it's a diploid, I don't have much hope but..

• aseedisapromise
    12 years ago

I love how your photos show the glisten of the blooms, Donna. That's one of the things I really like about these flowers...

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I need to put this on my want list!!
    ;-)
    K

12 years ago

to all of you.....

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Wow! Beautiful!

I am so far behind on what's new in the world of bulbs... it's been ages since I looked at any new varieties, or anything... I have a lot of catching up to do!

• seaj
    12 years ago

I really love the shape of this flower, as well as everything else about it. And the pictures are really great Josh and Donna!

Jared

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Here's mine.. fledermaus or mocca or capucinno.

Bare in mind the bulb had suffered alot of trauma. My friend put it in his fridge for a couple months in a plastic bag and it was mouldy when i got it. I hacked and cut it before planting. It rotted despite me only watering it once and had a bad case of red scorch, all the buds were burnt and moulding with only one opening. Before it opened i hacked into it again and it didn't get much light.

The scape rotted off and i hacked into it again and it is sending up another scape. I feel like the Freddy Kreuger of Hippi's, slashing away at this poor bulb. lol

It wouldn't open any further once i cut away at it but i think the form would have been nicer if it did. I also removed the pollen from it as i didn't want it staining as i was trying to dry it.

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

It started off at 50cm, down to about 40cm now. By the time i'm done with it, i think it will be zero. lol

10 years ago

Well, Aunt Jemima, that's a crying shame!! I don't hold out much hope for your bulb but with a couple of years In the IC unit you might save it but to see it bloom again...I don't know... I'd buy another bulb if possible and this time your friend shouldn't be around to put it In cold storage.. These bulbs come to us already primed and I personally don't think it does the bulb any good to refrigerate it once again. Just my opinion of course.... Did you buy yours as Fledermaus or Mocca? They may be different varieties but I sort of doubt it...Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 11:10

• orchids_grower_1946
    10 years ago

Dear Jos
    I would like an hippeasrtrum Melfi. Could you tell me where you buy it?
    Orchids-grower

• parodise
    10 years ago

Aunt Jemima, I have a lot of respect for the way you haven't given up on this plant - it is a true survivor! It's clearly struggling but also striving on, against all odds! I hope the poor thing recovers...

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

Hello All,

What a gorgeous hippi!!! A cup of coffee and watching this beauty every morning before going to work would definitely put a smile on my face... :-))) Thank you all for posting pictures of this special girl!!!

Fred

• orchids_grower_1946
    10 years ago

HI JOSHUA
    Your hippeastrum melfi is very butteafull and i would like exactelly the same.
    Where do you buy it.
    Regards
    orchids-grower-1946

Sponsored
Expert Cabinetry Refinishing & Refacing in Loudoun County