Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janito_gw

H. Estrela

janito
15 years ago

Hello. My Hippeastrum Estrela. Regards. Juan.

{{gwi:373646}}

{{gwi:446018}}

Comments (14)

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Fantastic photos, Juan!

I recently purchased two of these to use with hybrization of Johnsonii. I wish to extend those beautiful elongated white stripes, maintain hardiness and 6-8 blooms per scape.

Nice! Thanks!

Ann

• paxfleur
    15 years ago

Hola Juan -- Muchisimas gracias por sharing. :) 'Estrella' looks beautiful!!!! ^^ Does 'Estrella' have any fragrance/smell in your opinion?

Hello Ann -- I hope you had a very happy Christmas! ^^ Could you please post if your Estrela comes true to name? I've always been eyeing the 'Estrela' bulbs on eBay but have been reluctant to buy them because of the possibility of mislabeled bulbs. If it is true to name, I would be very happy to purchase the bulbs as I've heard that 'Estrela' is very pleasantly fragrant. Thanks for all your help. :)

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Indeed, a sweet and special friend informed me of the wonderful frangrance!

My purchase was from ebay and this is only the 3rd purchase ever that I made from ebay. The bulbs were shipped immedately, are very healthy and large with two bud tips showing on each of the two bulbs for $9.95. Shipping was a killer, but unfortunately, the seller didn't have anything else that I don't already have.

I once lived in the city where the seller resides, so I was a little more comforted by that fact. I will definitely post pictures of the blooms when they open.

I am really excited if they do come true...

• mariava7
    15 years ago

I got some Estrellas from that seller too. The one I planted has a scape out now and should be blooming in a few weeks.

I'll email you Pax if it blooms true and if it is really fragrant and attach a pic. I can send you a bulb of it if you want one.

Another new one that will be blooming at the same time as Estrella will be Estella.

• taz56
    15 years ago

Very pretty!
    Susan

• janito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi.
    Hippeastrum estrela smells, but not very much, its a very soft smelling, we have to have a very good sence of smell to can appreciate it. Regards,
    Juan

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Estrella almost looks exactly the same as Baby Star. I wonder what's the difference?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• janito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Mariava7. Here you have a Baby star picture http://www.bulbsociety.org
    {{gwi:446021}}
    and here my Estrela
    {{gwi:446024}}

As you can see in, profil flower of estrela has a trumpet shape, and in the front image of Baby star this one is more opened, Estrela flower isnt as opened in front, she still have a trumpet form and the white line is much thiner than the other, arriving to the petal vertex.
    Regards,
    Juan

• mariava7
    15 years ago

HI Juan! Thanks for posting those pics to compare. The white stripe (starfish)of Estrella is the only difference that I see for now. And the trumpet shape. My Baby Star does not look like "Irinka's" Baby Star. My Baby Star has the same red markings in the eye as Estrella. I guess I shall see in a week or two. One of my Estrellas will be opening it's flowers by then. Estrella is pretty.

• paxfleur
    15 years ago

Ann -- I hope the eBay 'Estrela's come true for you. Please do let us know the end results when the day comes. :)

Juan -- Thank you for commenting on the smell.^^ Would you be kind enough to tell us how many flowers per scape/stem there are? 'Estrela' is beautiful!

Maria -- I'm going to email you right now about the 'Estrela' bulb. :) I really look forward to seeing 'Estella'! =) I tried to obtain it locally but have not had any luck so far. I'm falling in love with the trumpets. :)

Here are a few more pictures of Estrela (not mine). I think what we should be looking for is, as Juan pointed out, the fact that the flowers do not open completely and the trumpet shape and white lining. Another thing we might want to note is flower count per scape. From what I've heard and seen online, there appears to be multiple reports of 'Estrela' having atleast 5 flowers per scape (most reporting 6-7 flowers per scape). This is shown in some pictures I have seen online as well.....

{{gwi:446027}}

{{gwi:446030}}

{{gwi:446033}}

• janito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hello paxfleur, each scape has 6 flowers, the last picture you have put is exactly as mine. Regards.
    Juan

• janito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi. the next pictures shows the trumpet shape of the bloom, the trumpet is 11 cm long and the open bloom has a 10 cm diameter.
    Regards,
    Juan
    and Happy New Year!!

{{gwi:446036}}

{{gwi:446039}}

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Oh, Juan!

Thank you for all those photos. Now, I know more about what to expect when Estrela blooms. I adore the shapes of those blooms!

Pax, I will upload and post pictures to this thead. It's going to be a few weeks, though. The bud tips are unusual and different in color than I am used to seeing.

Maria, Baby Star is one of those that vary greatly depending on the amount of sunlight. Last year, I purchased three in a 3 for 1 sale at Park Seed. I placed them in varying amounts of light and was amazed at the difference.

I have no time to upload them now, but if you wish, I can email you the pictures.

All that variability makes it really tough at times to make sure that you have the real thing, so sometimes you cannot go on appearance of the blooms alone.

Ann

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Lovely photos! I had actually thought Estrela might be a touch more pink, but it could have been just the particular photo I saw... these photos here appear more red.

In any case, thank you for sharing! Wonderful blooms!

Sponsored
More Discussions