Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

2015...Another year for mislabels???

mariava7
9 years ago

Two out of six new bulbs that I planted are mislabeled already. I wonder what's coming up with the rest that are still to be planted?

Any of you got these from your RC bulbs?

{{gwi:2123136}}

{{gwi:2123137}}

Comments (24)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Hi Maria! Happy New Year!!
    What were these labeled as?
    Kristi

• mariava7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy New Year too Kristi! Both of these were labeled as Kahlua Kristi. So unusual huh?

This post was edited by mariava7 on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 15:05

• mariava7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Cyberspace bloomed true. Am not impressed with it's drooping flowers. Tutti Frutti on the other hand is getting me very curious with it's very dark red flowers. I think this is the first time I have seen this color on cybister type ones. I hope it's not a mislabeled one again.

9 years ago

My Cyberspace is trying to open. It just seems stuck.
    K

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

pressing magic button ⦠cyberspace begins to unfold for kay

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

Definitely another year for mislabels. So far, worse than last year so far for me.

This one was supposed to be Daphne from RC but is a huge, beautiful Tosca instead. When I say huge, 9 inches across.

{{gwi:2123138}}

Next is supposed to be San Remo but instead it is Temptation.

{{gwi:2123139}}

Next is Magic Green but instead, I think it is Emerald Dawn but I'm not sure since it is a new one. Can anyone verify? Funny but I just received an Emerald Dawn this week in the mail. Had I known, I wouldn't have had to order it.

{{gwi:2123140}}

Next, this was supposed to be Graffiti. Anyone know what it is? The closest I could find is Jade Serpent but I have never seen that offered before. It is on the small side but very pretty. I think I will give up on Graffiti. This was my 5th try.

{{gwi:2123141}}

I don't know what this is...supposed to be Carnival. Help with ID please.

{{gwi:2123142}}

And finally...Vegas. This one is amazing. It is also a huge flower...nearly 9 inches across. Again, ID please.

{{gwi:2123143}}

To get an idea of the size, here it is with Temptation

{{gwi:2123144}}

Any help with these identifications or corrections on my guesses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much! Nancy

• brooklynbonnie
    9 years ago

Mitsukiwi - I am in love with that Tosca! I can't find anything for sale online that looks like that. They all look much less intense or there is hardly any white, or there is no noticeable picotee edge. I wish I could have an exact copy of yours somehow. It's beautiful!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Nancy, I too am in awe of your Tosca!! When mine bloomed last season it was OK but yours is just beautiful and your Temptation is gorgeous also!!

Perhaps your "Grafitti" is a Green Dragon. Here was mine (it has since perished) and if you recognize it from EBay it IS my picture!!

Donnaâºâº

9 years ago

My WFF La Paz is another Lima.

I can't give these away fast enough....anyone heard from Devon? One that had his name on it last year looked like it was going to rot. Meanwhile...I've got a good assortment for him for his flowerbeds after the rebuild. And a big Lima. If anyone is in touch with him...please have him email me. I don't know if he is getting my messages and need to confirm his mailing address, etc.
    Thanks!
    K

• mariava7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wow! That sure is a lot of mislabels Nancy. Miniature green is Jade Serpent. Double red could be Hadeco's Ragtime.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Never thought RC was that great a co. Never. Maybe the owner (s) wants to run a good biz but not sure if he/she surrounds himself with competent staff. I have gotten virused bulbs despite of their claims, did not get the varieties I ordered and they're overpriced, period. Read my review in GWD where I give details on just how little I think of RC. I'm also aware of the couple of customers who sold out for a couple of free bulbs, pity! You know who you are....

• mariava7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In my almost 10 years of purchasing Hippeastrum bulbs, I still have to see a bulb company/grower who can deliver 100% true blooming bulbs and can guarantee that their bulbs are rot free, mites free and virus free. For me, an $80 - $100 bulb is overpriced and consider an $18 - $20 bulb acceptable most specially if they are new released ones.
    People/gardeners/customers are different. Some are happy and satisfied with replacement or free bulbs inspite of the disappoinment...I respect them for being so and applaud them for being content with what they have. Some are not and I feel sorry for them and can understand how they feel likewise ( I used to be like that).

After purchasing hundreds of bulbs all these years, I have accepted that problems like this is just part my journey..a learning experience. Life is too short and I have chosen not to add negativity in my life due to some bulbs. I am grateful for these bulb companies for their business and giving me the chance to acquire these bulbs. I used to sell bulbs and believe me it is not easy and one does not make a lot of profit like what others think. I am grateful that I am still able to work and afford to purchase these bulbs. I am grateful that I still get to open my eyes every single day and see the beauty of the flowers from these bulbs...mislabeled/sick or not.

I started this topic not to "crucify" any bulb company but to compare gardener's mislabeled results if ever. As you all can see...they are all beautiful no matter what. They are all Mother Nature's gifts.

Happy Hippie growing everyone! Wishing you all a new year filled with peace, love, good health and beautiful flowers!
    {{gwi:2123145}}

• haweha
    9 years ago

Daphne IS Daphne,
    and I am envious now!!!

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

Not being perfect myself, I try to judge a company, not by whether they make a mistake, but rather how they resolve mistakes. There are companies that I won't order from, regardless of their tempting ads because I have lost respect and trust for them based upon their treatment of me, their customer. Then there are companies, like RC and ETGB that have shown that their customers are important to them and have always tried to resolve any problems - and there have been very few.

In regards to pricing, its basic economics of supply and demand - supply low, demand high = price high, that's how companies stay in business :) Also, I look at the total cost when purchasing bulbs (bulb + shipping) and have found that RC has been cheaper than domestically purchased bulbs - sometimes. Then some bulbs are only offered by RC and I have to decide how much I want that bulb :)

At this time, I would personally recommend both RC and ETGB for both the quality of their bulbs and the quality of their customer service. If that changes I will definitely let this forum know. - J

9 years ago

Bossy,

I'm not sure what you mean by "selling out" for a couple of free bulbs? I ordered 25 bulbs and RC sent 3-4 "gratis" bulbs with my shipment. They didn't have to send extras and it has no impact on whether or not I will place another order this season, or multiple orders next year. When there was a bulb missing from my order, they promptly sent it, in spite of providing a few "free" extras. I have one bulb that arrived in questionable condition. If they can't replace it, they will provide a credit.

With well over 200 registered Hippeastrum hybrids in my collection, I am always on the lookout for new offerings. I can always count on RC to be offering something new that isn't widely available. Their customer service has been very good; better than most. Other distributors will just say, "Enjoy your H. Lima" that was supposed to be H. La Paz. RC will do their best to make it right.

I have bought bulbs from many growers and distributors. Distributors sell bulbs in "good faith" that they are properly labeled. There is one distributor out there right now, that I have spoken to by phone, selling a bulb that has been out of production for years. When I called to question the authenticity of their offering, they admitted that the bulbs came marked as "Rosy Star", but they did not remove the other hybrid's photo and to this day are selling it as a "rare" bulb.

I am a small business owner myself, and I do my best to make my customers happy. The best thing I can say is this, if you don't like a company, don't do business with them. But realize that there are plenty of people who are very happy with the quality, price, variety, and customer service of the company that you are so critical of. Other companies would do well to strive to attain their level of international customer loyalty.

Your favorite supplier may not be mine. Again, that's the beauty of this "hobby"; there are enough sources that if you aren't happy with one, you never have to deal with them again. There isn't any company out there that is perfect.

Respectfully,
    Kristi

• brooklynbonnie
    9 years ago

The Daphne/Tosca had me looking up both Daphne and Tosca and I still couldn't find an example online that was that ... "wow" inducing. :) I love the deep boldness of the dark center, the solidness of the red as it spreads, and the amount of white showing. The Daphne's I've found on websites seem to have no white, or a less bold/brilliant deep red. It's frustrating as I would love to get one, but don't want to spend money only to be disappointed, now that I've seen what is possible! LOL! And here I thought I was not interested in anymore bulbs...

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Maria,

Melfi, Cyberspace and ?? that couldn't possibly be Kahlua could it?? Very beautiful picture!!

Donnaâºâº

• mariava7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Donna...That one had an "H004" attached label in the brown RC bag. It bloomed like this...a Kahlua finally in the 3rd mislabeled bulb. I'm quite happy with these RC mislabels. Haha!

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, Dec 30, 14 at 0:07

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

Hey All,

I agree on the Tosca. It was stunning with the depth of color. I took so many pictures of it but I just couldn't do it justice with my camera. There is no comparison to the other Toscas I bought last year. This is one mislabel I am thrilled with for sure. (sorry haweha lol) Bonnie, this bulb was from RC and they are offering Tosca on their site if you want to take a chance. Maybe all of theirs are the same and mine was just pulled from the wrong bin?

Thanks for the ID on the huge Ragtime Maria. I think that may be it. Also I agree with you on the Jade Serpent. My Green Dragon looks like yours Donna (so sorry yours has perished). The Jade Serpent has a totally different look...more like a papilio shape.

Hopefully someone can come up with IDs for the other mislabels I have pictured. Does anyone else have an Emerald Dawn to compare?

Maria, your flowers are lovely. I love your H004 mislabel. lol

I appreciate the help here so much. Thanks!

Nancy

• haweha
    9 years ago

Hmmm...
    So why did you say "it was supposed to be Daphne" in the first place
    Did Royal Colors not in fact advertize "Daphne" THEN, as indicated below?
    Which has no bearing on the fact that they offer "Tosca" NOW.
    "Daphne" has more rounded segments
    "Tosca" has more pointed segments.
    Dear friends, be so kind and accept it, that the argument from "Color" is void,
    the color saturation in all all those hybrids like "Showmaster", "Flamenco Queen", "Tosca" and "Daphne" is extremely dependent on the conditions during forcing

Here is a link that might be useful: expired advertisement from Royal Colors

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

The reason I said it was "supposed" to be a Daphne is because that was what was on the bag it was in. However, when it bloomed, it did not even come close to resembling the picture that RC had posted on their site. I always save a copy of the picture that is advertised to compare. I know coloring and shading can be off somewhat, but this one is so extremely different, I immediately thought of Tosca. Now that you have pointed out the shape of the petal segments, I can see the difference. Perhaps when it blooms next, it will be the red RC shows rather than the deep, deep rich purple red with the nearly black center and all the white as it is now. :( In any case, it is beautiful and now one of my favorites!

Nancy

• mariava7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love my free bulb. And it's not mislabeled! Wooohooo!
    "Tutti Frutti" must be the darkest red cybister type I have seen so far. Dark purple red in the RHS color chart.

{{gwi:2123146}}

9 years ago

With great hopes of getting a real H. La Paz (the one I was given last spring by a nursery owner was virused) I ordered TWO from 2 different sellers! The first turned out to be H. Lima and, this morning tan pedicels are peeking out at me from the bud of the 2nd bulb...H. Tango. Well, I did order an H. Tango, so maybe that one will be H. La Paz. HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!
    ;-)
    K