From ("Chico" x "Giraffe") x ("Chico" x H.papilio)#15

All flowers will be self pollinated...

{{gwi:2123184}}

{{gwi:2123185}}

Comments (23)

• haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These Second-Generation Cybisters (F2 in respect to "Chico") are all from March 2011. So they are 3,75 years old!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Thanks! Waiting for blooms seems to take forever!
    K

haweha thanked kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More rebellious Curls :)

{{gwi:2123186}}

• haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The following picture shows what is - or better "was" - the Mother. I neglected some of my collection, then, and they were all consumed by "the Mite".
    I have a strange kind of noneradicable vermin here, which always strikes when the crop is exposed to coldness, either outdoors, in fall, or during storage in my basement during winter. Now, I do not dry-and-cold-store my Cybisters any more. Instead, I let them grow under light during winter, transfer them outdoors in May, and bring them in as late as possible, and after several weeks they will bloom, and then produce a bunch of new leaves...

"Chico" x "Giraffe"
    {{gwi:2123187}}

The "Father" (pollen donor) is being shown in my other discussion. Here is yet, another picture of it:

("Chico" x H.papilio)#15
    {{gwi:415337}}

This post was edited by haweha on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 19:03

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Hans-Werner,

The curly flowers produced by your "Chico" x "Giraffe") x ("Chico" x H.papilio)#15 are fantastically beautiful!

Cheers,

Blanca

haweha thanked blancawing
  • jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

Your #15 in incredible both in color and form. Lovely!!! - J

haweha thanked jstropic (10a)
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, and please, be so kind to cross your fingers with intensity, that this seedling IS self fertile.

One sibling of it; I already showed it elsewhere is:

{{gwi:443687}}

• haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Jstropic,
    THIS specimen #15, of all things, I mean Hippeastrums, never produced a single offset. I do not have a record what year I sowed the seeds (from 6 seed pods of "Chico" after pollination from H.papilio) but these F1 must be approximately 10 years old now.
    More importantly, #15 to #18 had been smaller bulbs, and I had "almost" disposed of them, then, after planting #1 to #14 into a Balcony box, but then I changed my mind and replanted the "4 second choice" in a separate box.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Hans-Werner,

I am stunned by the beauty of those flowers with the swirly petals, they are simply the loveliest I've ever seen!!

Most all of your creations are better than most of what's out there and available to us and I keep hoping that you might decide to commercialize a few of what you consider your finest.

Your name and work should be recognizable to all hippeastrum lovers around the world for your superb cybisters instead of just those of us who belong to certain forums.

We would all love to be able to grow some of your beauties in our own homes.

Donnaâºâº

haweha thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Donna!

It is fair to assume that the commercial breeders with more area for them create breathtaking new hybrids all the time, but they have to consider properties which qualify for "marketable", in other words the quality is determined upon a sum of quality-points from judgement in respect to a LISTING of quality criteria, and "beauty" is just ONE criterium. I suspect, that "longevity of the inflorescence" and "number of scapes per bulb" and "thickness/mechanical stability of the scape" have a crucial influence.

• agapanthe64
    9 years ago

Hans -Werner , it's just like Donna said it would be fantastic propagating your creations, they are unique and so original.

I am always amazed by the wonderfull hybrids you create , those curly ones are my favourite , thank you for sharing with us all thoses beauties .

haweha thanked agapanthe64
  • jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

How wonderful for all of us that you did not dispose of #15. Now we wait to see the results of the self pollination. - J.

haweha thanked jstropic (10a)
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I had self-pollinated the flowers from the first scape, and they wilted almost on the spot. I think it is a good idea to pollinate 2 flowers of said "#15" from this pretty specimen, in other words to back-cross to the parent which is fortunately in bloom right now.

One curliflower from the 2nd scape:
    {{gwi:2123188}}

• haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

" #15 "

{{gwi:2123189}}

{{gwi:2123190}}

This post was edited by haweha on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 9:53

• mariava7
    9 years ago

I love these curly twirly petals! Bravo!!!

haweha thanked mariava7
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another sibling of ("Chico" x "Giraffe") x ("Chico" x H.papilio)#
    The ballon effect was strong in this one; some segments did not and will not separate:
    {{gwi:2123191}}

• lenanen
    9 years ago

This one might be my favourite anyway. Those curls seem to weigh... adorable and a bit funny looking flower... love it.

haweha thanked lenanen
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fortunately these special seedlings with a lot of H.Cybister in them do not consume much space...

{{gwi:2123192}}

• Carl
    9 years ago

Hans-Werner, let me also say how impressed I am with your latest creations. I'm not the biggest cybister-fan, but yours are extraordinarily beautiful!

Ich zieh meinen Hut - chapeau!

haweha thanked Carl
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your kind remarks.
    There is still 2 other siblings in the queue - yet to open, I mean, and then the show of "Cybisters with Giraffe in them" will be over.

• haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not curled but folded:

{{gwi:2123193}}

• Edie
    9 years ago

Wow, Hans-Werner, I love your curly hybrid! Are you going to name it? Thank you for sharing these glorious highlights of your work.

haweha thanked Edie