14 years ago

{{gwi:446596}}

{{gwi:446598}}

Here is one of my Gervase

{{gwi:446599}}

Comments (18)

• Carl
    14 years ago

I think it's Hippeastrum vittatum, congrats!

Here is a link that might be useful: H. vittatum @ bulbsociety

• clancy1985
    14 years ago

Lovely photos, kinghaven. I have some bulbs that are similar to your top two, though the striping and veining is a little different. I've always hoped to be able to find a name for at least one of my oldies! I get very confused with vittatum as web searches return so many different coloured blooms. Are there lots of variations on vittatum, BK?

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Third photo looks like Gervase.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I'm not the best at guessing names, but I agree that the third photo looks like Gervase. The first two... Vittatum, perhaps?

Gorgeous blooms, Becky!

• Carl
    14 years ago

@Clancy: Seems like it ... I was pretty sure that the vittatum is always white with red stripes and a green throat that ends in a blood-red ring. But I also found lots of different pictures. Some with red blooms with white starks but those could be mislabelled x johnsoniis or something like that?

• clancy1985
    14 years ago

Thanks, BK. Well, I might presume that I have vittatum then. I have a couple of others that I'm also unsure of - do members here mind trying to ID?

Gervase has got some lovely striping and tones, it's very elegant.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Of course we don't mind trying to help identify different varieties or species! Some are really challenging!

Post your photos, ask for an id, and we'll see what we can come up with!

• Carl
    14 years ago

I'd like to give another one a try. But! I have to say, I'm not 100% sure on the vittatum, so as long as no expert here certifies it, it's still in doubt.

• clancy1985
    14 years ago

Thank you, Jodik, I'll get some photos together - I'd love to be more sure about the 'oldies' I have, most of which came from my mum's place.

I might even put up what I think is vittatum, BK, as I mentioned, it is similar to kinghaven's beautiful blooms. It's always good to learn!

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Some of the old fashioned mixed varieties may be difficult to positively identify, but even if we can't pin a variety name on them, we may be able to guess at ancestry! You never know, though... someone may have the same type of flower, and may know some of the history!

• lora_in
    14 years ago

Hi Kinghaven
    I have a near twin to your mystery flower,purchased as vittatum.
    {{gwi:377860}}

It's showing strong color due to chilly temps. It is,by far, the most fragrant hippy I've ever grown. Lora

• sonador
    14 years ago

In a word WOW.....simply beautiful. Another for the dream list.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Gorgeous, Lora! The color and pattern are striking!

I see your tags... pollinating, I presume? I imagine it will make some very beautiful offspring!

• clancy1985
    14 years ago

The colour in those is stunning, Lora, beautiful saturation in it. May I ask what the little beauty is just coming in at the bottom of the frame?

These are photos of two that I think might be vittatum. Now that I'm studying them, the patterns are slightly different to each other. I've never noticed a fragrance from these, though being outside might make a difference. They're also seem to have quite a bit of curl to the petals as they mature. They're definitely strong growers and liked their own pollen - the resulting seed pod was just huge! They didn't like papilio pollen, though that could well have been my technique!

{{gwi:446600}}

{{gwi:446602}}

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

The second photo almost looks like Clown, or Candy Cane, or what I've seen called Red & Whites... Vittatum is almost assuredly an ancestor. I would hesitate a guess that it's probably a Vittatum hybrid.

• lora_in
    14 years ago

Kinghaven, can you tell us if your flower is fragrant?

Sonadar, there are offsets potted up for spring trading.

Jodi, that photo is from a year or two ago, I was trying to figure out their fertility. They are 4n and cross readily with the big modern hybrids.
    A note about color-in hippies- the 3 main colors are seperate. They are pink, red and orange. Orange is very dominate! So, if you cross a red with a white, you get red with a white pattern or a faded red, not pink.
    The color of the veining in the vittatum mystery photos is a dark magenta that translates to pink when it spreads out on the petal. These are the ancestors of the likes of Appleblossom, Susan and Vera.

Clancy,the little guy at the bottom is Striped Panther. I don't know if it's still available, it hit the retail market a few years ago and quickly left it.It has a lovely, fruity fragrance.
    Your flowers look very much like Kinghaven's and mine, all 3 have the elongated "fingers" on the stigma that don't appear in the pure species. My best guess is that these are early hybrids, natural or deliberate I can't tell.
    As for pollinating with papilio, that will take some patience and a lot of attempts. Your beauties are probably 4n and papilio is 2n. You may be able to get 1 fertile seed out of 1000.It would be well worth it to try, I bet the result would be amazing. Lora

• clancy1985
    14 years ago

Lora, you're wonderful - there's a big hug heading your way. Thank you so much for that information, I'll now label these Vittatum hybrid as Jodik suggests. It's interesting too, about the elongated 'fingers' on the stigma. It's great trying to learn more.

• salpal
    14 years ago

These Vittatum hybrids are just wonderful. So some have fragrance and some do not?

I'll never understand why they took striped panther off the market- it appeals to me every time I see it!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions