Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnwsgal

Lowe's Vera is Lady Jane

mnwsgal
13 years ago

Photo to come later, couldn't wait to share my excitement.

My Vera opened to reveal Lady Jane. She is on a very short scape (less than 5 inches). There is a second scape growing alongside the first one.

Comments (10)

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Cool Gal...Look forward to pics. Lady J is a beauty, but then so is Vera
    {{gwi:447129}}From Amaryllis

My Vera has also proved to be a great Pollen donor, as well as a full figured bloomer!! Has anyone pollinated with LJ? I didn't figure out how yet. Will try again when it blooms this year.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

I did! I have a whole tray (I'd say about 20) of Exotica x Lady Jane from last winter they're doing fine.I found Exotica to be an excellent pod parent, all of her seedlings are very vigorous. I guess I know what color the Exotica x Lady Jane should be, and I'm hoping for a couple of doubles!

Vera is a beauty, I really loved mine too but I didn't do any pollinating with it last year. Maybe this year....

{{gwi:415683}}

{{gwi:415684}}

I found that my Vera sets lots of bulblets...I gave a few away and kept a few, they are planted and are doing well. My mother bulb of Vera is now resting for a while. Vera was planted in a whiskey barrel with about 8 others and they all seemed to produce bulblets like crazy. Maybe they liked having lots of room for their roots, I always thought it was the complete opposite..they like their roots to be cramped. This year I am going to plant lots of my seedling in whiskey barrels, and plant them low so I can cover them when hurricane season comes. That was the only problem with planting large bulbs in the barrel, late summer we had to dig them all up and replant in large pots, due to the tremendous root systems and what a chore! That particular hurricane was a fizzle for us so it was all for nothing...! Didn't set too well with the digger, who wasn't me!!

Donna

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Desire bloomed and it too is Lady Jane. Also with a very, very short scape. it was one of the boxed bulbs that were $2.98 so a great price for LJ. Lowe's bulbs
    Tally HO!

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Donna, beautiful capture on that first photo! I didn't notice a lot of offsets on mine...I have a prob too...I can't find my Vera. (sigh) I have a lot of lost tags on my plants, I hope she shows herself soon. She is really a prolific bloomer.

And back to Lady J...I unswathed all my amis under the pergola and potting bench staving off the 2 nights of freeze. Lady Jane looks just perky along with her babe. I set her out in the sunshine today. You all get blooms sooner than me. Right now I have just 2 shooting up buds...everyone else will come along Jan, Feb, March...

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Why did I not luck out like everyone else with Lowes? I've only got "Oskar"/"Red Lion", which I love BUT I WANT SOME DIFFERENT ONES like Lady Jane and Donau :(

• cindeea
    13 years ago

LOL Josh...keep buying, buddy, sooner or later you will get lucky!

I have to say that in 4 years of Amaryllis CHAD, buying, I have had only 1 yep ONLY ONE mislabel. It was a fluke too cause it was a buy one get one on Zombie...to my delight I bought one
    {{gwi:447132}}From Amaryllis

and got one
    {{gwi:434667}}From Amaryllis

I felt like I won the lottery!!!

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Hi Cindee!

I received my Harlequin the same way (as a mislabeled Zombie). It was a most welcome error, as Hadeco had not even released Harlequin for sale in the states at that time. Both Z and H rebloom regularly for me.

Like Donna, Exotica was a successful seed parent with Lady Jane as the pollen parent. Other successful LJ pollen recipients were Baby Star and Pamela. Regarding Vera, Green Goddess readily accepted her pollen.

Cheers, Blanca

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Cindee, Your Harliquin is truly lovely, I hope to have one some day..and I can't believe you've only had ONE mislabel, but a great one. Lots of mislabeles are great...that's how I got my Elvas, Exotic Star, Giraffe and the list goes on and on...
    Josh, I think that the various Lowe's had different stock, I only bought 2 this year, an Oskar, and Susan hoping for a Donau and getting another Lady Jane. This was definitely Lady Jane's year, as last year was Susan's. Oh well.....

Donna

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is my Not Vera Lady Jane?

{{gwi:447135}}

No stamen, how often does this happen? There is a second scape.

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting your Vera photos. I will be very pleased if one of the other bulbs turns out to be a Vera.

Sponsored
More Discussions