Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

My Neon has eight (8) blossoms on one scape. Is that the norm for Neon?

Carol

Comments (38)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I think it is!! Mine was very stressed last year and I think I had maybe.. 6..when you can, please post pictures!

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Carol,

Eight is the amount I had on all my 'Neon' bulbs. It's a giver. I'm sure this is progeny from H. reticulatum var. striatifolium that can carry 8 blooms per stalk!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info! The scape is about a yard-stick long, too. I don't know if I'll get photos... houseguests arrive tomorrow... I shouldn't even be on GardenWeb right now...

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

CAROL :)

But we want to see pictures!!!

I did well hiding all my pots for Christmas... Good thing I have a "Grow Room" haha. The house I recently bought has 4 bedrooms so I dedicated one to my plants. I used lots of artificial lighting, I have it climate controlled with heaters, coolers, humidifies and such. My plants do quite well but they do much, much better outside in the summer. When things are blooming my family things they're the most beautiful plants in the world. When they're not in bloom their opinions quickly change!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Joshy - I want a separate room! I have all of the outdoors, but it is not enough. You are fortunate to have a hiding place for your hobby/passion.

I grabbed some quick photos of Neon earlier today. Knew it would be too late if I waited for the weekend. I will upload and post in a few days. For someone like me who almost never purchases bulbs, Neon was a really wonderful choice.

Carol

• parodise
    10 years ago

Here are some pics of my recently purchased Neon. The bulb put out two stalks, one currently in bloom - 6 flowers on this one, The other is pushing its way up.

• parodise
    10 years ago

Another of the flower in brighter daylight

• parodise
    10 years ago

And , finally, here's the whole plant

• parodise
    10 years ago

Dear fellow growers, what do you make of the flower color? Would you say this is typical Neon? The reason I'm asking is because the flowers I see in the pic on the package are much more pink-saturated and there's much less white in the color scheme. Mine could have come out lighter because of poor light it has been receiving - we haven't seen sun in weeks, and my ineptitude with the camera... Still, it seems much lighter than the flowers in the picture I bought the plant with.
    Thanks!
    Lena

10 years ago

Hi Lena,

Your Neon is the same as mine. Here are some pictures from several different years in the past and as you can see they do have the same amount of white as yours does.

Any pictures that you see on the packages are to my mind not to be trusted not to have been color enhanced.

Six flowers is normal and like Evergreen they can have up to 8!! Yours is very beautiful and it looks like you have a very healthy bulb!

Donna

{{gwi:447208}}
    {{gwi:447209}}

{{gwi:447210}}

this was taken in 2011

{{gwi:447211}}

• parodise
    10 years ago

Donna,
    thanks a lot for posting pics - you did put my mind at ease, yours looks exactly like mine - not that i was disappointed with mine or anything, just curious. I guess you are also right about not trusting the color saturation of flowers in the package pics - will always have to keep that in mind.
    The bulb is really healthy and beautiful and I hope I can enjoy this plant fro many years to come.
    Lena

• Edie
    10 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize Neon was so tall! I've read that "Neon," "Neon Rose," "Neon Eon," and "Eon" are all the same plant, is this correct?

Both of you take good pictures, I can see how gorgeous this hippi is. I received one as a gift this month. Mine is labeled "Neon Rose." The bulb is small but is sending up two scapes. Can't wait to see how mine turns out.

• parodise
    10 years ago

Edie,
    I'm not sure if the scape got so tall because it's supposed to be so or because in its final stage of growth we had rather dreary weather and it became a bit elongated. Anyway, it looks absolutely healthy and sturdy.
    Donna, was yours as tall?
    The cardboard package of the bulb read Amaryllis Galaxy 'Neon'. It is a Dutch bulb, size 30/32 cm. Cost 7.99 euro.
    I guess i have seen a number of times Neon and Neon Rose used interchangeably.
    Please, post pictures when your bulb blooms!
    Lena

10 years ago

If I remember correctly mine were quite tall perhaps not as tall as yours Lena but I had expected it to be shorter. I didn't keep a picture of the whole plant which I guess I should do in the future for all varieties.

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Here's mine from a couple of years ago...
    K {{gwi:406855}}

• parodise
    10 years ago

Kristi,
    thanks for sharing! Yours is a beauty! Nice bunch of Neon pics we got here! How many flowers on the scape did you have back then? How about last year? How has it been doing since?
    Lena

10 years ago

Looks like I got 4 blooms. Just moved the pots into the greenhouse, so it spent the last 8 months growing. I got blooms last year from it as well. I may have seen a couple offsets. I'm not totally obsessive but I inventory them as the go into the GH, note offsets when I cut the necks and then monitor blooms. Unfortunately, my dog has gotten into the GH the past 2 years and shredded the list of bloomers, with dates, number of scapes and blooms per scape. I am convinced that Laka is very jealous of the amount of attention that the bulbs and the greenhouse get. She will sit in the chair just outside the greenhouse and glare at me as I'm working inside it!
    K

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

This is my first year with Neon, and I am very happy with it. My first scape had 7 flowers and I am waiting on the second scape. The first was only 37 cm tall (15 in) so I was hoping that this would be typical. I guess it isn't.

• parodise
    10 years ago

Macroclemys, have you kept the plant in a lot of direct sunlight? I guess the scapes on mine got so long because we had a very dark and rainy spell when they were growing. Nevertheless, both scapes are rather thick and sturdy. I'm also waiting for the second scape to bloom - should be a matter of a day or two. Wonder, how many flowers the second one will have.

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Lena,
    It receives maybe a hour or two of sun per day. It seems more likely that mine is stressed. According to the grower, the stem length should be about 55 cm. (http://nlvangeest.nl/wp/en/midi-2/)
    Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: van Geest

• parodise
    10 years ago

Bill,
    I have just measured my Neon's first scape (the one you can see in the picture in this thread) - you won't believe it, but its over 65 cm, the other currently measures close to 65, might still grow more... If yours is stressed, mine is definitely high on something...
    Lena

• parodise
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, BTW, that's a great site with lots of useful and succinct info plus superb pictures!

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

If you like that, here are a couple of sites from other breeders that provide photos and measurements of their products:
    http://www.penningfreesia.nl/en/hippeastrum/assortment/

http://www.nieuwkerk-amaryllis.com/6/

http://www.hadecobulbs.com/

• parodise
    10 years ago

Thanks a bunch! They are all in favs now!

• parodise
    9 years ago

My hippeastrum Neon, whose pictures I posted on this thread earlier, has bloomed for me again! Perfect straight scape, 8 flowers! One flower is a bit wilted, unfortunately, as I caught it this way after I came back from a long vacation. Just wanted to share my joy and ask a question: this second blooming - is it a result of the previous growing season ( hence kudos to the seller) or I can attribute it to my own care and good (?) growing conditions? I bought this bulb in October last year.

Lena

• parodise
    9 years ago

Here's view from above:

9 years ago

Looks nice and healthy!!
    It's nearly 100F outside each day here, so I don't think I'll be seeing any blooms for several months.
    K

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

A very lovely Neon... unusual to see blooms this time of year... or, it would be for me, anyway! My bulbs normally bloom in spring.

Very nice... thanks for sharing!

• parodise
    9 years ago

All my three bulbs purchased last fall bloomed second time - one in July, and the other two now. So, all in all, during this growing season my Christmas Gift produced 3 scapes, another 3 appeared on a dark red Hippi and Neon had 2.
    Kristi, do your bulbs go dormant at such high temps?
    Lena

9 years ago

Nope they thrive in the heat! The leaves grow 4 feet or longer! In the autumn I cut them back to about 8 inches and they go dormant from there. They bloom again in the spring. Sometimes I get blooms in the autumn. I check them when I trim them and get the occasional surprise.

Lena, what are your daytime high temperatures right now?
    Kristi

9 years ago

Go down the linked thread to see my hippis enjoying their summer home!
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: hippi (fertilizers) and summer pasture

• parodise
    9 years ago

Kristi,
    you have a real hippi plantation there - love it! Found the thread itself also very interesting, thanks!

We enjoyed some hot days - in high 80s - hot by our standards - in July, now it has cooled off a bit so we are in high 60s - low 70s, with enough sunshine but also quite a bit of rain.

Would you say because my Neon has just bloomed the second time (first was late October'13) I shouldn't expect any flowers this winter/spring?

Lena

9 years ago

Lena, I wouldn't be surprised by blooms in the spring. Some bulbs gift you twice a year or more! My Blossom Peacock blooms m s twice a year.
    Kristi

• parodise
    9 years ago

Oh, such good news, I'll feed it and give it max sun and TLC!

• parodise
    9 years ago

Guess what?! This same Neon bulb is pushing yet another scape!!! I only hope it doesn't emaciate itself.

Lena

9 years ago

Lena,
    Whatever you did worked!
    Kristi

• Edie
    9 years ago

Lena, I think your bulb looks plump and healthy and you have nothing to fear. The way that one layer is splitting in the photo suggests your bulb is growing. I don't know how long it takes to form a flower bud within the bulb, but that fan of leaves is definitely the product of your TLC. Be proud. And enjoy the flowers.

Meanwhile, my Neon has dropped all but one leaf. I thought it wanted a rest, but there's a scape coming. :-)

• parodise
    9 years ago

Edie, thanks for the comments! I never realized that the splitting top layer of the bulb was a sign of growth, which now seems to be a pretty obvious fact. Glad yours is getting ready to put on a show! Please post pictures!
    Just wanted to post one last update on my Neon this year. The scape in the picture posted on Oct. 8 did fully develop and bloom, although I only had 6 flowers on this one. They bloomed one after another and the last 2 opened after I'd taken the plant in and were rather pale. Amazingly, it bloomed despite rather low night temps (falling all the way to 3-5 deg. C) and day temps in the range of 8-15 deg. C. The shot was taken on Oct. 26.
    I took it in in mid November and pinched off last wilted flower yesterday. The bottom couple of leaves have gone yellow and I took the bulb into my plants' winter quarters were the temps are around 3-10 deg. C.
    Hopefully, it will bloom for me in the spring/summer.

Lena

Sponsored
More Discussions