Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I know its not 'Evergreen'..........

Posted by johnsonm08 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 15:54

It starts again-----
It was supposed to be Evergreen, the pic says it all.
The flower is only about 3" across.
The closest I could find on Emaryllis was Zombie, but it doesnt hang down and the color isnt quite the same.
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I know its not 'Evergreen'..........

Mike,

It could be Joker and then again it could be Siren. I have a Siren and I loved mine, it had 5 or 6 flowers per scape and I think I remember it having a fragrance. It didn't bloom last year...
Here is my Zombie, it's second blooming and I know some of you are going to say that's Lady Jane, but believe me it isn't. It only put out 2 flowers the second year and they were huge!

and here is Siren which it may well be or it might be Joker. My Joker has never bloomed..but it could be as it's similar to Siren..

Look up Joker and see what you think. Either way it's very pretty. And if it's got a slight fragrance it's probably Siren. Just my opinion of course...

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 16:42

o

Now that I looked at your picture again my money goes for Siren..!! I know you wanted Evergreen, but Siren is a beauty so you got yourself a really good mislabel!!
Where did you get it?

Donna

o

Thanks Donna --it does look like Siren how big were the flowers on yours? I guess i was looking at "mini" flower varieties. No fragrance yet.
I got it at a local nursery, but the label was well attached....

o

Mike, I had to do a search as I thought I had posted her pictures when she first bloomed the year before last and I finally found it and I had said at the time that the blooms were 4 & 7/8 inches. How's that for a measurement. Perhaps you bulb is stressed. Mine also had 5 or 6 flowers on the first stalk. The only other choice would be Joker but I do think it's a dead ringer for Siren. The fragrance comes later on some of these, after the flowers have been out for a few days...

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 20:09

o

Donna, your bloom doesn't look like the mini double Zombie from Hadeco. I though they were called Zombie because it droops it's head. Zombie is known for multiple blooms on 1 scape; mine usually have 4-6. It's a soft pink/orange and white. Lade Jane on the other hand is known for huge blooms and is more orange...more vibrant color. I have a couple Lady Janes and the look exactly like your bloom... My zombies look very different / much smaller blooms.
K

o

No, I know they do look alike but I guarantee that that is the same Zombie bulb the second year. The first year she drooped like expected and the next year she looked like this! If I remember correctly Alana also had some great looking blooms on her Zombie..Alana where are you??

Here is Zombie the first year and I wasn't pleased at all..

and the second year..

and Lady Jane..I do agree that they look similar but.....

and a different Lady Jane another year...

From MORE FORUM PICTURES 2012

I know they are VERY similar. I'm going to see if I can find Alana's pictures of Zombie..

Donna

o

Here is one of Alana's links to her Zombie There are a few other pictures of Zombies in the archives..Josh posted one too but I can only fit one link in the box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alana's Zombie

o

With comparison photos, you're right... Definitely different!! Lighting makes the difference too. My Zombie photos are posted on the forum as I have both hybrids. Sorry to be a doubter...but when you said the blooms were huge it didn't jibe with what I know about Zombie.

K

o

If they weren't my bulbs, I'd be doubting too! Unfortunately, I didn't measure my superior Zombie flowers, they probably were still smaller than Lady Jane..

o

Hehehe....super Zombies!! Scary!
:-)

o

Here is my Joker that is blooming right now and that appears to be what you have.

o

Mike, where did you get your "not an Evergreen"?
K

o

Please check and see if your Joker has any fragrance..wait a few days after the flower is out fully. I'm still wondering if perhaps Joker & Siren aren't the same??

o

K-I got it locally, I'm not sure who the grower was.
I think E.com implies that they are the same...I like the name Siren better so I think i will label it that way.
Thanks
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here