Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimnpa

emaryllis.com updates. Opal Star, what is it really?

I've noticed that emaryllis.com has been updating their database and photos with some new hippeastrum varieties.

I am baffled by one new entry in particular. H. "Seductress", a.k.a, "Beauty Bells", a.k.a "Cherry Crush" is listed as H. Opal Star. Does anyone know the correct nomenclature for this variety?

Jim

Comments (9)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Bill is very knowledgeable, I'm sure he is correct.

Here is a picture from the growers website of their registered "Opal Star".

http://www.saad-assaf.co.il/catalog.php?id=23

I spoke to the grower about a release of "Ruby Star" and "Opal Star", Saad told me that a few companies are already selling them.

Josh

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Revision,

It was Sil'it Lazare I spoke with, he informed me that "California Bulb Company" is currently selling "Opal Star", could it be that Easy To Grow *which is also a Californian company* is selling them under the wrong names? I happened to speak to ETG, I was informed that they were going to try and secure "Opal Star" and "Ruby Star" for next years growing season? On top of that, I just bought "Mystery Maiden" from ETG which was a mislabel from the growers in Israel, *saad-assaf*, I wonder what they were anticipating this one to be?

Pheeewwwww,
    Did you get all that?

• jimnpa (zone6a PA USA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh,
    I just did a little sleuthing and found that the mailing address of California Bulb Co. and ETG are one and the same. So, that answers the question. "Cherry Crush" is really "Opal Star"! But, why are they selling the correctly named "Shining Bells" as "Shining Bells" and not using the correct name for "Opal Star"?? I've had so many mis-labled bulbs from sooooo many vendors this year. Don't think I could bear to deal with another "Mystery" bulb. Let us know what "Mystery Maiden" turns out to be.

Jim

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

I too saw Mystery Maiden and thought about it but decided enough was enough. I'd let someone else buy it, flower it, and post it!! That would be you Josh...So if this year's Cherry Crush is really Opal Star, what was last year's Seductress, mine by the way didn't bloom last year so I'll have to wait a bit longer to see just what I did get. I'm hoping I get the same as Maria got....And, I looked at the Israeli Website and didn't see any doubles. I'll check again to see if I just missed the place to click, but they offer Siren on ETGB, and one that looks just like it selling on Ebay as Israeli 'Princess', and there is a double white one also, the name escapes me at the moment. I'm wondering why they seem to be having so much trouble with these names...as the flowers are very pretty...I absolutely loved Siren, a Joker look alike...

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Jim,

"Mystery Maiden" is "Mystery Maiden", it's the name of the cultivar, I guess ETG "tries" out their bulbs now, this is how they found out it wasn't what they originally ordered.

I've actually had no mislabels from mail order companies this year, everything I've bought has been correctly labeled other than bulbs from the Big Box Stores, every single one of those have been mislabeled!

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Maiden

• haweha
    13 years ago

Both, "Opal Star" and "Ruby Star" are the most beautiful productions that they just came to my attention through this Topic. THANK YOU for creating awareness!!!They are hippeastrogene BANGERS with perfect shape. Their beauty competes with my spotted Favorite "Excotic Star" but their shape is more elegant CARAMBA!

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna,

Seductress and Cherry Crush are actually "Opal Star", ETG must have switched the names up somehow, I was informed by the grower in Israel that ETG is selling "Opal Star", who knows why they've decidedly changed the name...

Also, "Mystery Maiden" is only offered this season as it was a mix up, if you want it I'd order it now as it wont be available again next year. "Mystery Maiden" is a unreleased hybrid developed by Saad-Assaf that was sent by mistake.

"Red Peacock" is the only double they have listed on their site, I wonder is "Siren" is grown in the Netherlands?

Josh

13 years ago

Guys, I just took another look at 'Ruby Star' and what a gorgeous flower...I wouldn't mind having that Star Ruby either, surrounded by diamonds........I think the one that we all have is Opal Star, very lovely also, Hopefully ETGB's will offer 'Ruby Star' next year, but under what name will it be sold ...Ruby Bells....Seductress Ruby.....and so on... and so on..............

Donna

13 years ago

What about Princess..?

Here is a link that might be useful: Princess