Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum papilio -- White Form

joshy46013
12 years ago

Hi Guys,

I have a friend that grows a white form of papilio as opposed to the normal chartreuse flowers. He is sending me seed of this beautiful variety, does anyone else grow this? It's quite uncommon, I have never seen it for sale.

It still has the papilio characteristics like the burgundy veining but instead of a green backdrop it's white. In my opinion it lets the veining really pop.

Josh

Comments (26)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hmmmm I'd have to see a picture..sounds a bit anemic to me, I really like the way the green kicks against the burgundy...

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

While I do like the green background I think the white is really nice too, it's different. The flowers aren't as translucent as the normal flowers and they're much bigger too.

H. papilio according to Len Doran is a natural hybrid which now breeds with itself within species limits. I think this is why there is incredible amounts of variation BUT we never see it because we have the same commercial clones that everyone grows.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What is also strange is that green coloring is usually caused by the absence of color leaving only the chlorophyll to create the coloring it has. This is probably why it seems translucent as the texture of the tepals are different than leaves.

With there being forms of H. papilio that are white means there are traits in some clones that do have coloring in the petals.. I wonder if this is something to do with the pollinators?

I think the green offers an interesting look but the white offers something more elegant.

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

I would love to see photos of one of these in bloom!

12 years ago

I just came upon this website and it appears that they have your white papilio in their species montage..to me anyway..take a look. A great website and just click the translate button if your Italian isn't up to snuff...

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Hippeastrum website

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna,

I don't see any H. papilio pictures, I only see 'Exotic Star'?

12 years ago

Josh,

These are with my "screen capture" feature that I just stumbled on my accident!! Some are green and some look white to me see what you think...

{{gwi:447415}}

{{gwi:447417}}

{{gwi:447419}}

{{gwi:447420}}

{{gwi:447422}}

When viewing on the website directly the pictures are of course larger, but some of them look sort of white to me...

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna,

I waited to see it, wow, that took a long time!!!

Those pictures are from a friend of mine, his name is Ken and he does grow the white form of papilio. Good Eye Donna!

• haweha
    12 years ago

I too, possess the white form. It is a question of taking picture; it is a matter of overexposure regarding the weak green color component of the flower VOILA:
    {{gwi:447424}}

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hans,

No, there is a white form of this species that possess no green WITHOUT a doctored photo.

• dancacti
    12 years ago

Hey Josh, Ron Redding has a form of white papilio which he has given me an offset of. He posted the pictures to the IBS midway through last year. You can also find them on his facebook page.
    The 'whiteness' of the papilio looks a lot more convincing than compared to any of the pics featured so far in this thread.

Dan H

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Friend Dan :)

Yes, Ron grows an AMAZING form of this plant. I can't wait to see when yours blooms.

I guess you can attest to how this plant is genuinely white and not some poorly taken picture.

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

I'm resurrecting this thread to see what became of these projects. Can anyone post pictures of their plants in bloom, especially the white papilio? How did the selfed seeds do? My own papilios did well this past year, and I hope for first flowers in a few months.

Thanks,

Rick in CT

• berkeleysgr8
    8 years ago

I wish I could add to this discussion! I'm really wanting to grow ANY form of papilio. Unfortunately my bulbs and the ones I gave to my mother did not survive. Time to try again!

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

I have plenty of papilio. Glad to share.

Maida

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

I have a large clump of the common papilio and I bought a bulb from Komoriya to see if their strain was any different. I also have the green variety from the Doran Collection and a seedling of River of Gold 1 X River of Gold 2. These can be seen on Mauro's web site. Don't know what to expect. I like the diversity in the blooms.

Maida

• berkeleysgr8
    8 years ago

Maida, if you're willing to go to the trouble, I'd be happy to pay shipping for some papilio. It looks like you don't have private messaging set up. This site is more confusing than the old one!

I hope at some point you post photos of all of the varieties. It would be great to compare the various forms. Sounds like it will be a while before the River of Gold seedling will be in bloom.

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

I can be reached at raymond_schuck@hotmail.com. Be glad to send you some bulbs.

Maida

• berkeleysgr8
    8 years ago

Thanks so much! I've emailed you.

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

Thanks. I got it. I will work on the order tomorrow and get it out to you.

Maida

• berkeleysgr8
    8 years ago

You've gotta love forum members... so generous! Thank you Maida!

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

Let me know when the package arrives and if you are pleased with the bulbs. We really don'r own the bulbs, we are just care takers of God's beauty.

• berkeleysgr8
    8 years ago

I will let you know when they arrive. No doubt, I will be pleased with the bulbs. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to send them!

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

No trouble. That's what forum friends do.

• berkeleysgr8
    8 years ago

The bulbs arrived today. The largest papilio with a small offset was mounted (similar to houstonpat's mounting: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1729913/mounting-h-papilio?n=13). It doesn't look nearly so nice because I only had green garden tape available to use in lieu of fishing line. The two smaller papilios and the Doran collection bulb are in hydroponic baskets lined on the outside with sphagnum and filled with a couple handfuls of potting mix. The hydroponic baskets should provide good airflow. If they don't seem to like that set up, I'll move them to a course mix in a terracotta pot. The puniceum cross will get planted tomorrow. Thank you so much Ray!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz