Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Why is there no Exchange or Gallery?

caflowerluver
12 years ago

On other forums that I go to like the Brugmansia, you have side forums for Exchanges or to show off pictures in the Gallery. Why does this forum not have those? How do you do exchanges?

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (8)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Clare,
    If you are looking for something, you ask. If you have something to share/exchange, you offer. Most don't post photos as many have been stolen off this site and appear on either Ebay or vendor sites!

A search of this topic will yield much information! Many of us communicate off list, which is why emails are helpful!
    K

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Clare, it is a good question. I don't know why this forum doesn't have the comparable Exchanges and Conversations discussion areas. I have often wondered that myself. Just yesterday, I headed off to the Conversations area only to be reminded that one does not exist.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the answers. Just curious.
    Clare

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

It might be because these bulbs in particular are very seasonal... and for a part of the year, not much is happening? I don't really know... just guessing...

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

It's probably just as well there isn't an exchange/swap function to this forum..many of you aren't aware of the dangers of TMV (Tobacco Mosaic Virus) that some bulbs have and since it's presence isn't always apparent, it's probably safest just to swap seeds.

Some of us "more seasoned" collectors are really cautious about swapping bulbs unless we have grown them for a few years ourselves and are sure they are healthy. Just my thoughts on the swapping issue...and as Kristi says just ask in a post..no harm doing it that way!

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

I was going to mention the virus issue. Since I don't recognize aptosca as a regular on the list, I didn't want to complicate matters. I won't take bulbs from anyone I don't have a good relationship with and all trades are made in good faith. Just because something didn't have signs in the fall doesn't mean it won't in the spring. SAD...
    K

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will have to look up TMV (Tobacco Mosaic Virus). I am not familar with it. I do know about Rose Mosaic Virus and have lost one or two of my rose bushes to it. And on the Rose Forum people are afraid of getting it so don't do trades. Whenever I do a trade I place the plant or bulb in quarantine until I know it is healthy. That way if it does have something I don't spread it to my other plants. I have learned the hard way. You can buy plants from nurseries and have them infected with something, so nothing is a sure thing. We bought Monterey Cypress trees at a big local nursery that had canker which infected our existing Monterey and Leland trees.

I have grown amaryllis on and off for around 20 years. I thought critters had got most of them since they were in the ground, but maybe it was this virus or the narcissus bulb fly. I think I have seen that fly around my garden in the past. I have been on this board in the past but I come and go, not a regular. I guess I am also very seasonal. LOL
    Clare

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Clare, There is plenty of info right here on this forum about the mosaic virus..just type it in the search box and you will learn just about all you need to know. As for your lost amaryllis over the years my guess it is the NBF. A bulb can last for many years with the virus..passing it to others through insects etc, but the NBF maggot gets them in one shot, eats the entire center of the bulb and literally eats their heart out!! I've lost more bulbs to that nasty maggot than the virus..just like people..you can live with the virus you just have to use extreme care!

Donna