Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edie_h

I wonder what the % of correct labels from Lowes is?

Edie
13 years ago

One of my pair of "Christmas Story" from the $5.98 Lowes kits just opened its first bloom.

It is definitely not the all-white "Christmas Story." I was suspicious as soon as there was a gap in the cover over the flower buds. What is that part called? Sheath?

Anyway, I saw faint pink streaks on the buds. And then the first bud started to open. I peeked in as the petals parted and saw more pink on the inside. Today the first bloom is wide open. The Pina Colada song came to mind.

"I knew her smile in an instant.

I knew the curve of her face.

It was my own lovely lady.

And we laughed for a moment,

And she said, 'Oh, it's you.'"

I deliberately did not buy "Red Lion" or "Apple Blossom" this year. I wanted to try varieties that were new to me.

I'm quite sure this one's "Apple Blossom." I've grown her before. Maybe the other "Christmas Story" will be white.

Still waiting on "Oskar" and "Susan" as well. "Susan" might make me wait until next year - she's made four large leaves and a second (!) offset, but no buds in sight.

Edie

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes pink and white

Comments (38)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Edie,

I've bought several, 8 have bloomed and only ONE was right so far, it was "Oskar"... SERIOUSLY, one

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

I am doing better by far...
    White Dazzler - yes
    White Dazzler - yes
    Susan - NO it was Lady Jane (bought because I wanted LJ)
    Apple Blossom - NO an orangish red single
    Donau - yes
    Donau - yes
    Oskar - yet to bloom
    Minerva - No.. little orange miniature
    Minerva - bloom not opened yet, but looking promising
    of 9 bulbs, 7 blooms...4 right, 3 not...but 1 was what I wanted....so far >50%...not acceptable, but for Lowe's, it's better than usual!
    K

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

I did buy no bulbs this year!!!!!!!
    Only the special facebook- deal from Royal colors and this arrives this week. All my bulbs are dormant in the basement and in the shops and markets around you can only buy crop! Is that boring!!! Buuhhhh i cry!
    I would like to have some flowers like You!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Frank,

How are the bulbs from your Maguire's order doing..aren't some of them blooming by now?

Donna

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

They are fine and in full leaves! i will force them thru the winter. Next year they get a cool periode in winter for have the same rythm like all the others.
    But all these flowers are gone. :-(
    Thanks for asking Donna!
    But my Yume mitai has a small bud!!!!!! I did explore right now! I did gave the japanese only 2 month dormant time in autumn outside, because we had a long autumn with good temperatures in the 50s. They bring leaves like hell now and a first flower! :-)
    my life is not so boring at all!
    Best regards

• Edie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CHAD alert! :-D

Those of you looking for "Lady Jane" may want to check the Lowes "Christmas Story" boxes as well as the "Susan."

I drove over and opened more boxes today, since one "Christmas Story" turned out to be "Apple Blossom" and the other's keeping me in suspense. The thought process was: since most of the remaining 5.98 kits are blooming in the boxes, maybe I could find one that was blooming white, and then I'd have one pure white for sure.

Nope. I saw several with wilted, dried flowers which looked like the remains of pink and white singles. Two bulbs were each on the last bloom of the scape, displaying double flowers, mostly white with some peachy-pink splashes. Their true identity is anyone's guess. They might be a very different color with some sunlight. One of the doubles had a mushy bulb and the other had almost tied its scape in a knot. Poor things had long curly white leaves too. I found a third in better shape in a "Susan" box, and bought that one.

Edie

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes white double

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Edie, I'm glad you found your Lady Jane - I'm sure you'll enjoy that bulb for years to come. I loved your choice of song for Apple Blossom - gave me a good chuckle. Alana

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Denver=Denver
    Lady Jane=Lady Jane
    Susan=Lady Jane
    Red Lion= red lion
    Waiting to bloom:Vera, Donau, Star of Holland, more Susan, Apple Blossom, Oscar & the others. I always buy one of each because of the mislabeling. I got some at 50% off so paid $2.49 for mislabeled Susan(Lady Jane) and some others. I'm going to see if I can get any more discounted when I go shopping with mom on Friday.
    RC order came last week, I bought 3 of the FB exclusives and a Hurricane. Got 2 potted up and have to go buy some more pots tonight. They still have them available!
    Tally HO!

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Desire = short, double, orangey color with white streaks. Very pretty but not Desire. A bargain for $2.98.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I just bought 41 amaryllis bulbs from Lowes this week. I will post which ones are not true. I bought 6 Prince Carnaval, 4 Vera, 3 Aphrodite, 4 Lady Jane, 3 Denver, 3 Pasadena, 3 Red Lion, 3 Apple Blossom, 3 Minerva, 3 Roma, 2 Danu, 1 Star of Holland, and 3 Susan, I was trying for 3 of each, but could only get what was available. I bought some in San Antonio Texas and some in Corpus Christi Tx, just to let you know they are the same on the outside, but the bulbs are so diffrent between the two locations. The San Antonio blubs, are almost twice the size as the Corpus Christi bulbs. The Corpus Christ bulbs have full roots, and the San Antonio store only has about 1/10 the original roots, I do not know which ones will do better, but I feel I really got a deal at $1.75 each. This will be really interesting to see what I actually got. Barbra

• xineohpinakc
    13 years ago

I was given one as a gift again this year. It was supposed to be Christmas Story but, it was Apple Blossom.

• Edie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Christmas Story #2 is also Apple Blossom. So I won't have to worry which is which in the shared flowerpot.
    I like the scent, though I have to put my nose directly in the blossom and sniff to catch the fragrance.

I think Josh got most of the real Oskars. My Oskar is orange to orange-red with a white eye.

5 mislabels, 0 correct.

-Edie

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Oskar from the little boxes bloomed and it was Oscar.
    Denver = Denver
    Lady Jane, Susan and Desire = Lady Jane
    Red Lion = Red Lion
    Star of Holland = very, very deep red w/ almost black throat.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

My 41 bulbs are starting to put out blooms. Today one of the Susan bulbs bloomed, she was Lady Jane. I sure hope I get at least one true Susan bulb from the bunch. Barbra

• islander_mi
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie but love these gorgeous plants! Today Lowe's had the 9.98 boxed bulbs going for 3.99 so I scarfed up 5. 1-Donau, 1 Prince Carnaval, 1-Lady Jane, 1-Vera, and 1-Denver. This was in Southgate, MI. Some were in nice planters, others in deco velvet ribboned boxes. Also rescued a Red Lion bulb from a Meijer's store for 1.24.
    Running out of window space. Thanks for all the info on this forum. I'm not smart enough to tell them all apart yet but I'm learning. Just wanted to let you know there are some really good priced "orphans" looking for a home right now. Haven't tried Home Depot yet....

Joan

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

so far it's 41 %

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

mrlike2u, what are the names of the bulbs with incorrect labels, and which ones were correct. I hope I don't end up with 20 Lady Janes. Did anyones Susan bloom true? Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I had my 2nd bloom today, Minervia bloomed. It was a solid dark orange bloom, I think it is orange soverign. So far 2 out of 41 were mislabeled. I can't wait to see what else is in my box of chocolates. Barbra

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

That's the spirit Barbra. here it's 50 % of what was labled l00% correctly last year was only 25% accuratly labeled this year, meaning the cat is faster at grabbing the labels than I am.
    To solve the odd cat did the mislabeling behavior I post pics of em here and accuse my hippes of being something else. It ends up a win win the GW members get tourtued as they look at pics of some nice looking scapes and flowers .. I get the right label on the right bulbs (via the common consenses.) The real winner though has to be the cat who gets to hide the labels all over again.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Mrlike2u, I feel all my bulbs are like a box of chocolates. I have all the bulbs planted, and as each one blooms it will be planted in the garden, so I can label them correctly. The only bloom that has been true has been Lady Jane. I tried to buy 3 bulbs of each kind, but on two I was not able to do this. This has really been fun. I go out every morning just to see if anything has bloomed. Its almost like the lotto, just hoping and praying for something special. I am just happy I got them for a really good price, anything is welcome. I only had Red Lion, and one papillo before I got these new bulbs. Barbra

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I am still here lurking and enjoying the photos others post.

My bulbs have been very slow and are just starting to grow some leaves. Lost a scape (dried up) on two bulbs. I have one bulb that has shown the tip of a scape and the tip of a leaf for weeks and hasn't grown any, hopefully it is putting down roots.

2 bloomed 2 misidentified

• Maddy Reynolds
    13 years ago

So far NONE of my bulbs from Lowes are correct. White Christmas was AppleBlossom . Prince Carnaval was Oskar (got plenty of him from last year). One bulb (can't remember how Lowes had it labeled) was a gorgeous white double.... that I would like to post a picture of, but don't know how.

All of the Home Depot and Rite Aid Minervas were Minervas. But many of the buds didn't emerge.

Surprisingly Safeway had a nice Red Lion mislabel... a pinkish red with white stripes in the middle.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

I wrote the names on the pots this year with sharpie! Between cats, dogs, parrots, moving plants, monsoons, hurricanes and everything else tags are useless, they are usually laying in the middle of the garden or on the floor, nowhere near the plant. The ones I've planted in the garden I don't even try to label.
    Tally HO!

• Edie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been labeling the flowerpot itself too. #2 pencil on plain clay pots. No wandering tags, it's less visual clutter, and it's easy to erase and re-label.

And I think I finally have a true-to-label Lowes bulb. "Lady Jane" looks like Lady Jane. Woot!

"Pasadena" isn't, and looks like LJ's identical twin. I think I've got three LJ's, since my one blooming Susan was LJ. Now that I know what they are I can pot the triplets together for next year.

It's been fun watching the bulbs develop and guessing what they all are.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

it is pretty exciting to see what blooms out. I'm most excited about the ruffly Apple Blossom. And all the Lady Janes, which are going to fill a pot.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Just went outside to uncover the amaryllis nursery, the sun is now shinning. I noticed that the 3 bulbs planted together that should be Red Lion, are 3 diffrent colors. The first bulb has a dark red stalk, and bloom. The other has a green stalk with a stripped red and green bloom, and the third is a very green stalk, with same color of bloom. You can really see the diffrence looking at them planted in the same pot, all were marked Red Lion. Barbra

13 years ago

Barbra, Can you post some pictures, sounds interesting....

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Donna, I will take a picture of it with my husbands iphone when he gets home today. Can you tell me where to go to get instructions on how to post the picture to the form? I never noticed it before, they are so diffrent. The red on red doesn't even have any leaves, just the stalk and bud. These are some of the bulbs from Lowes. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Donna, my son is here, and he said he can take a picture of the bulbs and email the picture to you, I am sending you a email to get the address. Barbra

13 years ago

Oh Barbra, We just got home and I checked my email and there was a picture of 3 bulbs in a pot and no explanation and I didn't recognize the name so I deleted it thinking a spammer had gotten into my email....WAS THAT YOU? If it was, I'm sorry, and you can resend it, with a note, but it was just a picture of 3 bulbs in a pot, no flowers... I will be glad to post any pictures for you any time, just explain in the email....Sorry if that was you....

Donna

13 years ago

Here is Barbra's (honeybunny 2) picture of 3 Red Lions in one pot doing fine.. looking good Barbra..

{{gwi:447892}}

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Sorry Donna, I mistyped they are 3 diffrent stalks and buds, they are not in bloom yet. I did not know how to send a message with the picture. My son left and deleted the pictures, so I could not send again. My husband took a picture with his phone, but it was almost dark outside, so its not as clear as the first one. I hope you can see the diffrence in the stalk and buds. I will have him take another picture when they bloom, and send to you. I will email you first that they are coming. I can't wait to see what this box of chocolates brings. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I saw the picture you cannot see the bulb that is solid green, its on the right. In the picture it looks like it has pink tones, but it doesn't. I think it will be a solid white amaryllis. I think the one to the left will be a lady jane, and one in the back will be a solid red. Can't wait to see what blooms from these 3 Red Lions. Barbra

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Barbra,

The things coming up are scapes, they hold the blooms inside the outer covering, you can't actually see the blooms yet. Soon the sheath will break open and the blooms will begin to form. Sadly you can't tell the coloring of the bloom from the outer parts of the scape. In a way I wish you could that way you'd know a whole lot sooner if you got a mislabel! lol I'm really excited for your pictures Barbra!

Josh

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I got home last night and here is what has bloomed from my Lowes specials. 2 of the 3 aphrodite have bloomed and both are aphrodite( just beautiful). Of the 3 minerva 2 have bloomed one is a orange soverign, and the other was apple blossom. Of the 3 Apple Blossoms, 1 has bloomed it was Apple Blossom. Of the 3 Vera, one has bloomed and it was Vera, of the 3 Lady Jane, one has bloomed and it was Lady Jane, of the 6 susan, 1 has bloomed and it was Lady Jane, of the 6 Prince Carnivals, 1 has bloomed , I have no idea what it is. The stem is very tall over 20 inches it towers over the other plants. It is dark red, with a small white throat, and the outside is dark red w/white streaks. My husband took a picture of it, while I was at the coast. Looks like a few will bloom this week, I will post the results as I get them. Nothing is blooming at the coast, I have them in the ground with mulch, it was 30 degrees for almost 5 days. The leaves took a hit, but it looks like they are coming back since the weather is back int he high 60's. Yesterday afternoon we spent the day at the beach, and it was just full of cars, from Minn, Ill, Iowa, Mich, and Canada. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Today in bloom is Appleblossom, that is actually an Appleblossom. I have a Prince Carnival that is blooming what looks to be Rilona, much lighter orange than Orange Soverign. 2 Roma, both blooming Orange Soverign. Denver, is blooming a beautiful white with just a kiss of pale pink(I have looked for hours online and cannot find its name) Of the three that are labeled Red Lion, that Donna posted for me, one is blooming Red Lion. The other two look completely diffrent. I think all 3 bulbs will bloom this week, I plan to send Donna a picture so she can post it to the previous thread. Barbra

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

My Appleblossom which opened fully yesterday is definitely an Appleblossom. Few of my others have scapes, mostly leaves. Some of the plants had a scape which withered away. A couple have scapes just showing.

Since November four out of 13 plants have bloomed, only this one has been accurately labeled, 25% of those that have bloomed.

• tiarella
    13 years ago

Though a bit off topic; my friend, Maggie bought 3 black double hellebores and paid a hefty price for them. Anticipating their bloom, she was counting on having some seedlings to sell eventually. To her shock, they all bloomed single reds and when she called to have them replaced; they are no longer available and she has to take a dollar refund and hope to find them elsewhere. Bummer!!!!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz