Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Tissue culturer needed

Can anyone contact me offlist with the name/contact info of someone that can propagate a bulb via tissue culture...and eliminate any potential virus?

Thanks,

Kristi

Comments (18)

• npublici
    12 years ago

http://hometissueculture.org/ is an excellent organization,having a presence on yahoo groups. It has quite a few members with the capability.I had a house fire which precludes me from tissue culturing right now.
    Del

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Kristi,

Make sure they have the abilities to eliminate virus as well, I think there might be a little something extra they need to do but I'm not sure. This may be untrue but it's better to ask than be sorry!

Josh

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

So sorry to hear about your house fire, Del... been through such things, myself.
    I hope the tissue in question can be cultured virus free, Kristi...

• npublici
    12 years ago

Other than heat treatment in the lab,most often the most recent growth is further propagated,sometimes repeatedly,in order to eliminate virus.That is done because the virus does not replicate as rapidly as the host plant tissue,so is not in new growth.It would not be known if it were successful until testing for virus is done on sufficient tissue to perform the tests.A somewhat long process,but sometimes necessesary.If none of the tissue culture group do it,they probably would know someone who does.
    Thanks to all of you for your kindness.
    I can see quite well in my left eye,with 20/25 vision.I now can't read half inch high letters with the right.In about a month that lens will be replaced.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Since tissue culture is an entirely sterile operation and if you start off with a pre-tested virus free bulb, wouldn't that ensure that the bulbs are clean? And, might you end up with thousands from one application as is the case with rhododendron and kalmias..just curious. :-)
    Donna

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Good to hear the eyes are coming along well, Del... hope lens number two goes smoothly. :-)

Tissue culture isn't something I know anything about. I know a little more about natural reproduction, though whatever it takes to save something for future generations to enjoy has to be good. I wish Kristi the best with it. :-)

• klavier
    11 years ago

Ever find what you need?
    Cheers,
    Werner J Stiegler

• klavier
    11 years ago

Ever find what you need?
    Cheers,
    Werner J Stiegler

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Werner,
    No, I had written to one person who may have been able to help, but the never replied back.
    Kristi

• klavier
    11 years ago

Ever find what you need?
    Cheers,
    Werner J Stiegler

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Werner,
    No...I have not yet found an interested party who can propagate this bulb and had no response to this message. It may have virus, so I would need to be sure that the virus is killed in the propagation.

Do you have that capability?
    Kind regards,
    Kristi

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear Kristi
    I have already MASTER the tissue culture technology,
    I have the capability to help you propagate the bulbs
    via tissue culture and eliminate any potential virus.
    However, since there is no perfect testing equipments,
    I cannot guarantee the course after bulb with no virus,
    I can only do what I can to complete virus-free work.
    You can contact me, give me an E-mail.
    Best wishsîards for you!
    Tiger
    BTW:Please note that you must enable this feature on your Preferences page by checking off 'Allow other users to send you email'.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Tigerfox,
    Thanks for the information; however...I really need to make sure that the clones have no virus. I suspect that the bulb may be virused, but it is not showing signs. Other bulbs that were in the same pot (the were all offsets of a mother bulb) have come up with the virus last year (apparent by leaf markings). I will search until I can find what I think I need. I have bigger bulbs that are definitely virused and some TC facilities (I've heard) claim that they can eradicate the virus during the propagation of bulbs.
    Kristi

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear Kristi
    Because I'm a amateur, no professional instruments and equipment��
    Sorry,I can't ensure the clones have no virus.
    Cheers
    Tiger

• amaryllisstudygroup
    11 years ago

Hi Tiger Fox;
    Which parts do you clone from??? Root tip? Leaf cells?
    Petal cells? ....
    EWWarren

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear EWWarren
    I'd prefer choose Root tip and Petal cells.

Cheers and Happy Gardening
    Tiger

• amaryllisstudygroup
    11 years ago

Hi Kristi.
    Please email me at amstgrp@yahoo.com concerning propagating your bulb. Bill EWWARREN

Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill,
    I have replied to your forum post. Please check your email!
    Thanks,
    Kristi

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions