Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daes80us

Questions about amaryllis!

daes80us
11 years ago

So I am not exactly new to growing, I have been growing a couple each year for about 4 years and I'm up to 11 plants this year and I have had excellent results with my endeavors but I do have a couple questions. I am a indoor pot grower because I am in ohio and gets freezing outside just so u know my situation. Question 1. So I know it says when u water not to get it into the neck of the bulb, my question is about summer when I have it outside do I have to worry about the rain getting inside the bulb and rotting the bulb? 2. The next question is about the picture I posted, this flower just opened today and I don't see a stigma or pollen sacs? This is my first double or big bloom and I want to pollinate this flower?

Comments (11)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Hi,
    When a plant is growing outside you don't have to worry about water getting down into the neck of the bulb from rain or hand watering. When they have a full compliment of leaves the neck is tight enough to just shed the water. But when you have a new bulb with just a scape or newly emerging leaves then you should be careful. If a plant is inside and you're hand watering it should be easy to avoid this area and just water the soil. I would say that later on when the bulb has several full grown leaves (in a pot) that at this point if you happened to get water on the base of the neck that it would just shed off and wouldn't be a problem.

As for your double, you won't be able to pollinate it. Some doubles will give some pollen that can use on a single. Without the female parts there isn't anything you can do as it's not capable of setting a seedpod.
    Your flower is very pretty, what variety is it? I can't see any pollen from your photo but look very carefully as sometimes you can fine the smallest bits attached to the tepals..sometime hidden fairly well. Some doubles have absolutely no pollen and some are loaded.

If you are lucky enough to fine a dab of pollen, you can swipe it with a Q-tip and store it in a tiny plastic baggie and save it for several months in the fridge until you have a single flower that you'd like to pollinate.

Let us know how you make out..

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Outside you don't need to worry about rain as some will drain off and the other bit will evaporate! You can provide some cover and don't put the pots directly in the path of rain running off the roof.

Don't count on pollinating your double bloom as they typically don't have stigmas. Some doubles have pollen anthers or sometimes there is pollen along the edge of a couple petals. Your best bet is to gather pollen and put it on a single bloom... And hope for some doubles. Looks like Aphrodite to me.
    K

11 years ago

Guess our replies crossed in the cloud!!
    K

11 years ago

Great minds think alike don't they ;-)

11 years ago

Scary!!

• daes80us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank u so much for ur replys! I haven't looked at this post since I posted it because I thought I would get an email letting me know when someone replied to the post? But that does make sence about the water, I won't be so scared this summer when it rains! And yes I do believe it is aphroditie, and I did notice some pollen on this flower but did not save it because thought I would be pollinating these blooms:-( but we always have next year! I really live amaryllis and am excited to learn more about crossing them and getting some new variety! I just crossed a belladonna with a red one and got some nice seeds and hoping they will grow but after reading I see red is dominate and most likely all will be red?

• nopets
    11 years ago

This is the one I have been bugging you guys with green scapes for 67 posts, I thought maybe you would like to see what it is doing so far.

11 years ago

Nopets,

It's looking good and it's looking red!! My suggestion to you might be to post the pictures of the blooming flowers on your original thread, people might miss your flower on someone else's thread and you wouldn't want that would you, nor would we! You might want to re-post this picture on the old thread too. In the future, when people look at these old threads and if posts and pictures are all over the place then they loose the gist of what you're trying to accomplish. Especially when you anguished so much over the growing pains of your bulb you wouldn't want anyone to miss your final triumph!!!

Donna

• bkrepfle
    11 years ago

My fiance and I have an Amaryllis that we were given for Christmas. It has grown considerably and we had not tied it up. One of the stems with a bloom apparently became too long and before we had a chance to tie it up it broke at the base of the stem, at the top of the bulb. It was shortly thereafter tied up. This break almost went clear through, with a thin film of outer stem holding it together. I am wondering if this will graft back together or if we can expect this flowering sprout to die. Thank you in advance for any imput you can provide.

11 years ago

It depends on how far along the scape was. Had the flowers emerged from the bud (like the picture of the red flower directly above)? My best guess without seeing how much of the stem is actually severed that you might want to just cut it and put it in water and hope it will grow enough to bloom for you. The stem won't grow back together and once it's been opened up it won't be able to draw water so I'd cut it and hope for the best..(just my opinion of course without seeing the actual damage)...Donna

Just one more thing; If you do cut the stem turn it upside down and fill the hollow stem with water before submerging it in a vase. The stem needs to be full of water to draw water up to the flower bud...

11 years ago

And change the water about every 3 days!!
    K