Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenny_bln

Hans-Werner Bitte Melde Dich Help with grow lights

kenny_bln
18 years ago

I need with grow lights for my Amaryllis seedlings . If I was back in the states I could use the shop lights from Home Depo , Lowes ect. but hier in germany I can only find lights with single bulbs and no reflectors, do you or anyone in germany have any sugestions , You know how the winters here are , no sun for days or at least here in Berlin

danke

Kenny

Comments (7)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Kenny,
    If you don't get a good answer here, try the Growing Under Lights forum. The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Under Lights

• tuanh
    18 years ago

you can use aluminium foil to make a deflector, improvide! good luck to you Mr. Hans

• haweha
    18 years ago

The cheapest solution in Germany is these low-budget kits for 36 Watts /120 cm length tubes which are sold in DIY superstores ("Baumarkt"). for 6.40 Â actually. Needless to say that these kits do NOT include a reflector.

Although a lot of light escapes and serves as a general room-brightener *g* I did not care for that because I installed them at a sufficient area related power consumption of approx. 200 watts / m2. This provides enough light on the seedling production area below to induce a good growing behaviour and rapid bulb mass gain.

That was 9 bulbs 36 watts each for 1.5 m2 eq 216 watts /m2

{{gwi:374726}}href>
    (clickable th_)

I replaced the cheap type 20 "daylight" bulbs (these are included in these kits and they are insufficient for plant assimilation lightening purposes) with the 36 watt L-Fluora (5-band spectrum)from Osram. But with the same success you can use the 21/840 eq. "cool white" (three-band spectrum).

The monthly expenses for this equipment is

9 x 0.0425 x 16 x 365/12 x 0.15 Â = 27.9 Â

SO I thought this is a reasonable price and as I bustle - until now - with only ONE of these technical arrangements I found it NOT so neccessary to equip it with reflectors in order to save energy by removing - let's say 3 of the nine lamps while generating the same light amount from the remaining 6 bulbs WITH reflectors for the seedling production bench.

Hans-Werner

• kenny_bln
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry I has taken me so answer and hank you all for you help

kenny

• soultan
    16 years ago

Someone please help me to be sure of myself. When you use grow-lights, you don't use them during the night, right? One point of the Mulholland Scenic Commission was that using grow-lights during the night would disrupt the wild birds. Am I right that if you use grow-light in your green house (who would want to use grow-lights in green houses in California?), then you only use it during the day, since plants need rest period at night just as any other living creatures need it, right?
    So this board of stupid scientist-wannabes actually reason with me not even knowing what they are talking about, right? If I were ever using grow-lights in my green house enclosure for my amarylli, then I would only use it during daytime when the sunlight is not schorcing enough, right?
    Thank you for answering. If there is a scientific essay of it, I'd like you to share it with me, so I could take it to the next meeting for the Commission to humiliate them.

• haweha
    16 years ago

12 h/day is just sufficient. 14 h is generally reommended You can apply 18h/day also, but this is not necessary. I give 16h/day - indoors where no significant amount of natural light from the windows does reach my plantage.
    In greenhouses, you can use artificial lighting for prolonging the daily assimilation period. Simply switch on for 4 h between let's say 6 to 10 pm.
    You will have to apply the full day length (see above) of artificial light if you grow in multiple etages since the plants would otherweise stand in rather darkness all the day...

• soultan
    16 years ago

The point is that I don't want to use grow lights, but the Commission is telling me that what IF I do. So I just want to answer them with a prepared answer, that grow lights are not used during the night to disrupt wild birds.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions