Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolsox

Noob!

coolsox
11 years ago

Hi all,

It's been many years since I've grown Hippeastrum. I was bought a couple of bulbs in kit form and I remember to this day the they where Apple Blossom and Red Lion. I enjoyed them, but once the show was over they where tossed in the rubbish due to a lack of available windowsill space!

This weekend, my interest in these plants was revived. The Christmas markets near me where closing down. One stall was for a Dutch firm selling bulbs and there star attraction was a mountain of Hippeastrum bulbs. Everything was on clearance so they where selling them 6 bulbs for ã5.
Th bulbs are much larger than those I've had in my previous kits and I was able to select my own so all are fat and healthy. I selected the following:

Charisma
picotee
Papillio
Blossom Peacock
Red Peacock
Naughty Lady

I would like to plant them one at a time to extend the show. I've found plenty of planting instructions online, but what is the best way to store the unplanted bulbs? I intend to plant one bulb every 2 weeks so want to keep them as fresh as possible until then.

Also, I would like to keep a few going until next year but there is so much contradicting advice on dormancy. Can anyone point me to a care sheet with the correct info?

Sorry to ramble so much in my first post! thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions