Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Worsleya procera - Empress of Brasil and Blue Amaryllis

bluebonsai101
13 years ago

So, a little tease here, but not much longer. I got this bulb 4 years and 9 months ago and in Nov. of 2008 it did about the cruelest thing a bulb can do, i.e., it produced a bloom spike with no buds in the sheath.....a total bust. Needless to say, I was devastated and wondered if I had a genetic misfit. I asked on the Worsleya forum and I got several suggestions, but one that I hung on to is that since plants like this can form a bud more than a year in advance it may have aborted when it was dug to be shipped to me.

Well, 2 years and 1 month later I am now very close to seeing a bloom on what is surely one of the holy grails of the Amaryllid world:

{{gwi:448865}}

There are at least 4 buds on this guy and it seems there may be a 5th one in the sheath as well so I am quite excited. I will figure out the focus on my daughters camera in the next few days so that hopefully I can get some better pics as well :o) Dan

Comments (148)

• lestryge
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Now in need of division I think?

• ncrhiaplantlover
    9 years ago

Could you spare a small one? Would love to have it! Be glad to pay for shipping, but have been unemployed since end of June, so can't afford any more than that.

Thanks,
    Carol Parham
    191 Dogwood Lane
    Rutherfordton, NC 28139

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It would be fun to have a Cosh clone just to watch it go crazy producing offsets like yours, but I'll just stick to my slow off-setters :o) I'm sure these now exist in the US as some of the guys in OZ have sent these to the US (this I know for sure).

LeStryge, that is a wonderful pot full of plants! Maybe next summer some time I will try to take a pic of my babies as a family portrait.

Carol, in case you are not aware, importing from overseas requires you to have an import permit (very easy to get) and the sender to have an export permit and proper phytosanitary certificate that is provided by the country of origins equivalent of our USDA which means the plants have to be inspected for bugs before they can be shipped. You can do it illegally, but the penalties can be very stiff if you are unlucky enough to get caught (up to $10,000).

Good growing all, dan

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

The Cosh clone sure is prolific. Does it have gorgeous deep blue flowers as well?
    K

• lestryge
    9 years ago

It was the "Cosh" clone's flowers that I showed here in my original posts above, so you can see that the colour and shape is identical to the rest of the specimens.
    Actually upon taking a second look at those last pictures posted by bluebonsai101, the flowers on Cosh could be a little less "frilly" at the edges perhaps? However he might also have a particular sporty plant that's not the norm.

In any case I would venture to say that Cosh seems a little more "eager" to flower than the rest, but this may be just my own experience.
    I never shift it, ...it remains outside summer and winter and in full rain etc., but the soil is very free draining, ...little more than coarse gravel really.

Carol, I would dearly love to GIVE you a plant as a fellow gardner, (that's how I got my first!), but here in OZ the plant police are VERY vigilant, and of course I don't wish to run foul of them.
    From other posts here it is apparent that some Australian growers will risk sending overseas, but fines and court cases are expensive!

I currently do not hold a plant export licence.
    I believe it's quite complicated to obtain and in any case I am really just a keen amateur gardener like yourself who has become fascinated with this particular plant and the challenges it provides.
    SO sorry!
    Here is another pic. of Cosh.
    All three of the larger stems you can see flowered this year.

This post was edited by LeStryge on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 19:33

• lestryge
    9 years ago

The cosh clone in flower:

• lestryge
    9 years ago

Some others.....I'm now tending to think the "frilly" edges develop as each flower ages, rather than being a specific feature of any one plant.
    Notice here the lower and older bloom is going wavy while the newer flowers are almost straight edged.

This post was edited by LeStryge on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 20:00

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LeStryge, yes the flowers get frilly on the edges as they get a few days old….I think that is when they look best!

Mine only flower once every 2 years, but that might be because they are in 6-8 inch (15-20cm) pots and way too crowded. I will pot them in to 12" (30cm) diameter pots next summer and see if they decide to start flowering every year, but my guess is they just don't flower every year in my conditions which are far from optimal.

Good growing all :o) Dan

• lestryge
    9 years ago

Fear not bonsai101, ...I am in TOTAL awe at the lengths many of you will go to in keeping these in artificially controlled basements, windows and interiors and STILL manage to get them to flower!
    Here where I am it is literally just pot-&-and forget, so the achievement is in my view somewhat less.

Why is it we idiotic gardeners INVARIABLY want to grow what is not suited to our own climatic zone?

Here where all palms, frangipani, hibiscus, orchids, philodendrons, cacti, ...(gardenias I consider akin to weeds!) and so many other hugely desirable tropical and subtropical plants will grow outside unaided with amazing ease, just has me longing for all the lilacs, those glorious peonies, the spring bulbs such as tulips and daffodils, not to mention those romantic old-fashioned roses.
    (Actually we can grow roses here I suppose, but the humid climate means they are very susceptible to the dreaded black spot or they are very short-lived, flowering themselves to death in about two seasons due to getting no winter rest to speak of.)
    I am currently engaged in a never-ending struggle to have some success with a white peony, even going to the ridiculous lengths of giving it artificial "frosts" at night etc but there's just nothing you can do to abate the pervasive heat or the humidity, which they obviously hate.

Take heart any of those here who may envy my apparent success with the much coveted Empress of Brazil.
    I don't think I'm winning this one with the peony, but I'm betting you folk all have banks of the damned things that thrive on your benign neglect.!

This post was edited by LeStryge on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 21:33

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very well put, we all want what is "exotic" for our climates, whether that is a Worsleya or a "boring" peony :o) Dan

• houstonpat
    9 years ago

Howdy y'all. & neighbor Kristi. Having moved this fall I no longer have a green house to overwinter my Worsleya. I've been growing it for about 10 years from seed sent from OZ. Deep pot, granite gravel substrate/good drainage. A few offsets. No blooms. :: Anyway... It is a cold and wet fall. I'm wondering if moving it indoors into a sunny window might be well advised, rather than continuing to grow it outdoors then hauling it into the garage during frost. Anyone have suggestions?

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

Hi houstonpat,
    I am growing my Worsleya in the kitchen window facing south. I water it every day and fertilize it twice a week. I have had it only a month, but it has already grown two new leaves so it must like it. You should have the same success. I am a neighbor of yours in Pearland.
    Maida

9 years ago

Pat and Maida....how big are your plants?
    "Neighbor" Kristi

• houstonpat
    9 years ago

The main bulb is about 2" in diameter, about 15" tall with 3 offsets about 1/2 - 1" dia. The pot is about 8" dia and about 20"tall.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Pat, I can say that my plants seem to grow much faster (leaf production anyway) in the fall when it gets cool and I leave mine outside as long as possible, but that is because I hate fiddling with them inside where it is harder to water, etc. When we are at our hottest in the summer the new leaf production slows down, at least for me in my climate.

When I had mine in front of a window the leaves got way more stretched out (etiolated I guess) than when I keep them really close to T5 bulbs (within 2 inches) so in my experience here in PA with very little sun in the winter (we can be grey for weeks at a time) they do better under high intensity lights.

Looks like lots of growers in TX here :o) Dan

• houstonpat
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Dan.

9 years ago

Dang, the largest of my 2 new additions is putting out it's second new leaf! Do they usually grow at this rate? Guess it's very happy!
    K

• houstonpat
    9 years ago

Good Karma Kristi

9 years ago

Lots of new plant neighbors!!! Plenty of plant-directed love all around. Just came in from another hour in the greenhouse, trying to figure out how to add one more shelf...
    K

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

This is mine.. Little less than a foot, and a tleast 3 inches in diameter. So hoping it will bloom in the next 2-3 years.. I've waited longer for an orchid to bloom..

{{gwi:2123340}}

9 years ago

How are you measuring a foot? The height of the neck?
    K

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Is anyone using these spectacular flowers for cross breeding with other amaryllis?

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Is anyone using these spectacular flowers for cross breeding with other amaryllis?

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Hi, here is the link..
    I am having difficulty with flickr as I am unable to upload the pic I want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Measure..

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago
    9 years ago

Thanks!
    Kristi

• lestryge
    9 years ago

Radhavall, I am curious as to why your plant does not show the characteristic leaning to one side with all the curved leaves falling like a rooster tail?
    Are you turning it around to force it to make such all-round growth?

This is not at all how they appear in the wild, or in fact any of my specimens look. The leaves also look very elongated and thin as well as "dished" to me....certainly unlike any of those in my care.
    Where did you come by this unusual one if I may ask?

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Hi LeStryge,

This is a fairly recent acquisition for me. I got this from a guy who is in South Florida, and is famous for selling these around the globe. Many people who grow Worsleya know him and he grows them in Mexico and gets them to Tropical world nursery in Boynton beach, in Florida. I live 20 mins away from the nursery. I went to his place where he has in his green house in Loxahatchee 15-20 mins further north from Boynton. He has a few at various stages. They are in shaded area, and in no particular direction for sun. I placed it in part sun for now. There are about 3 new leaves after I got them. So I plan to leave it as is and see what happens.. I did ask him the same question you asked and he did'nt seem to mind that at all. I think the leaves are more green and lanky because of the green house issue. Now that it is in part sun , I see the color of the leaves are different , and more of a blue tone to it and look less lanky and more healthy.. What do you think?? Thank you for your time..

{{gwi:2123342}}

{{gwi:2123343}}

{{gwi:2123344}}

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, likely it is just because it is a fairly young plant still and was likely shipped from Mexico not that long ago so it takes time to get reestablished. As the guy from Tropical World has said many times on the Worsleya forum (although, since I have not been on it in at least 3 years now I have no recent info) these plants also do not do as well in the heat and humidity of FLA as they do in the mountains of Mexico so that could also play a role. Sometimes I think we over think these things….these plants are really awfully easy to grow. As I like to say, if I can grow them in Pittsburgh, PA without a GH then honestly they can't be that hard.

Your plant looks fine Radhavail, and I'm sure it will roostertail over then next year under your excellent care :o) Dan

• Fred Biasella
    9 years ago

Hi thonotorose,

Sadly I don't think Hippeastrum and Worsleya are genetically compatible even though they are related via the South American amaryllis clade. I could be wrong, but I think it was attempted in the past but did not yield any seeds.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Hi Dan,
    Thank you.. I heard South Florida heat may be a little too much for it. So, I plan to place it in part sun, and hopefully the microclimate it will be in, will keep it a few degrees cooler..Hopefully in 2-3 years, I'll post a pic.

• houstonpat
    9 years ago

Radhavall, the Houston heat is, no doubt, a factor in the difficulty of sizing up my Worsleyas to blooming size. I have mine placed to get early morning sun then dappled shade. This year I will pay closer attention to fertilizer in the growth.

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Hi Pat,
    That is what I plan to do.. I am also thinking of pot in pot method of evaporative cooling if needed, for the really hot months, as I do not want to move the plant to different areas in the garden. I have done this method for Dendrobium Victoria reginae, which prefers cool and wet conditions. And so far it has done well for me. I am hopeful..

• lestryge
    9 years ago

I think you all may be overly concerned about the heat issue.
    My very best specimen faces directly north, ...(here in the Southern Hemisphere that's right into the sun) and is backed right up against a brick wall and on paving that actually increases the heat by reflection and retention overnight.
    I doubt that your situations could be any hotter...or more humid in summer.
    Temps of over 40 C., (104 F) being not unheard of here.
    I never move it or shade it and it never burns or wilts, and thrives and flowers every year.
    I think plants are far more likely to succumb to your cold and continuous wet than any heat issues.
    radhavall I was interested in the somewhat uncharacteristic aspects of your plant.
    Coming from what you would think would be an ethical source I'm sure it is what it purports to be, but wondered if it might be some sort of a slightly different sub-species found in Mexico. None of my seedlings seems to be like your particular one shown.
    Your leaves are much longer, thinner, not arc-ed, and all sit horizontally with their flat surfaces directly upward, like a Hippeastrum or an Agapanthus, where as mine all sit vertically with the leave surface in the vertical position, from very early on.
    Yet the length of quite typical stem would suggest yours is somewhat older than a seedling.
    Interesting!

• K thomp
    8 years ago

HELLO lestryge, growing Worslya in Victoria Australia and interested in swap possible please contact my daughter k8yk8thompson@gmail.com thank you Meryl

• annmaree2525
    8 years ago

Hi I can swap a rare pink crinum bulb or seed pod for a Amaryllis worsleya seedling. If anyone's willing in Australia.? Thanks annmaree2525@gmail.com

• Di Tran
    8 years ago

Lestryge, I am also in Australia (Melbourne) and would love to purchase one of your offsets.

my email if you or anybody else has one to sell:

ditran0@gmail.com

tia

Di

• Fred Biasella
    8 years ago

Hi All,

I have tried in the past to see if someone has a worsleya for sale but no bites. I'm still very interested and would love to get my paws on one (once the weather warms a bit). Please let me know.

Warm Regards,

Fred

8 years ago

Fred, message me....I can hook you up with a potential seller!

• Fred Biasella
    8 years ago

Hi Kristi,

Whadda ya mean message you? I think the cold may have frozen my noodles or I'm dense. I'm going with option two. ;-)

Fred

8 years ago

click on my name above and it will take you to my page. On the profile photo, to the right, you should see a big white rectangle that says "MESSAGE".

• arygaviero
    8 years ago

Hello i would love to get my hands on this plant , can you please send me the email of who has any for sale or seeds, please i been traying foe months to buy it , but is imposible and on ebay i dont feel safe buying this are expensive .
    Please write to my email for information how to buy one . Thank you

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It looks like I have 3 seed pods on one of my plants and perhaps 1 or 2 on my other plant so with any luck they will mature and in 4 months or so I will have seed for sale - I will let people on here know if I actually get seed in June :o) Dan

• merkity
    8 years ago

Yay!

• jimmckenney
    6 years ago

Great photos, Dan. When I saw "Dan in Pittsburgh", I guessed that you are the Dan in Pittsburgh from whom I bought Worsleya seeds in 2007. Here's a photo of a plant grown from those seeds. The year before last it finally began to show a rooster tail, and so my hopes are high. Sure hope it has the great color yours shows.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm really glad to see the seeds did well for you. My large ones are blooming again right now (will try to post pics of them again) so hopefully I will have seed again in 5 months, but you never know if they will produce any. Hopefully you will have flowers soon :o) Dan

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Oh dear, ten years later and still waiting on a bloom. I'm not sure I'm that patient, but I applaud you guys who are. Worsleya look great :0

• rredbbeard
    6 years ago

I've got to go find a few more seeds....

Dan, what medium do you use for that big plant? I have mine in 95% growstone, wondering if I should be adding a little more organic material?

--Rick in CT

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Rick, Mine are in 100% volcanic cinder (maybe 1/4" size). For whatever reason, they seem to like the climate here in Pittsburgh and since we get so much rain they may like that as well - who knows. I fertilize mine with bloom-booster every 2 weeks on average - full strength. I'd love to see yours bloom - as I recall, you had some big bulbs! Good luck :o) Dan