Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Last Papilio Post...I Hope....

aveo5
12 years ago

Well you have given me so much help,and Donna posted my pics. I hope to post flowers when they appear. I now have all 5 of my Papilios! 2 Green Dragons, and 1 EverGreen,and 2 Red Lions with 2 bloom stalks each,getting VERY tall! I'll ask Donna if she is up to posting pics, as they come into bloom. And what to do with all the other bulbs,other than the Papilios, after blooming.

Well i scooped out a lot of soil from all my bulbs,as advised. So all are now about 90% out of the soil. The very first GOOD Papilio bulb I got, has a 4in long bloom stalk with a big bud 'case'? It just shot up in 2 days! The rest ,including the one that arrived all damaged and ripped and a mess, is actually still alive and growing, no rot showing. Everything is showing 'waking up' from dormantcy. The "Paps', Evergreen, and 'Green Dragon' that arrived with a bloom just starting to peek out.

Ok..My last and final Papilio finally arrived today. It is actually in good shape, now heres my stupid question. It has a tiny tiny tip of a leave starting, its about 18cm around, firm, not rock hard though, BUT it has a bulblet UNDER the first thick white layer. Now heres my question. Should I leave it be, and plant it SHALLOW...or peel off that good thick white layer, and expose the bulblet?

I assume it will pop out of the 'skin' eventually, but should i put a tiny cut over the bulblet to give it a place to come through? Take off the enitre layer, or leave it be and plant it up as is? It has a lot of roots, I am shocked to get a good bulb from this seller. So...what should i do..let nature take its course, cut it a bit, or peel off a perfectly layer to expose it?

Ok..thats it. I have bought all the Papilios and other bulbs I am buying. I am now watching for my bloom stalks, I have that one big one, the tip of one on the second bulb I got, that arrived with the smashed bloom stalk on it, and Donna posted the pics. of it for me. The other bulbs are finally waking up from dormancy...so I have weeks to go, to see any life, but they are all swelling and showing green at the tips, so..I am looking for 'Evergreen' blooms, 'Green Dragon' Blooms, and all my 'Papilios'. And then bug Donna to post the blooms as they come out. Hi Donna:)

So..opinions on what to do to this last bulb, and the bulblet. Thanks guys/gals. Stan

Comments (12)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Aveo!

Glad to hear everything is coming up roses (I mean hippies for you)! As for your bulblet under the layers of skin, my advice would be to just leave it alone. Don't make any slits and don't worry if it ends up under the soil when you plant it. Just plain leave it be! Some bulblets form under the skin as a buldge on the side and some form under the soil attached to the basal plate. Actually, they are all attached to the basas plate, some just emerge from the side and some from the plate/root line. I have a Nymph that has them coming from both directions! It might take a while before you see a small leaf emerging, but don't fret, when it's ready it will show itself. Then you can just let it grow with the mother and worry about it in a couple of years!

I'll be glad to post pictures for you again, but in the meantime, give it a try yourself. It sounds like you're going to have lots of flowers to share, so you might give it a try yourself in the meantime. I'll be glad to help though if you can't!

Donna

• aveo5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is under just 1 layer, and it is a fairly good size. It is bulging right at the side and right above the basal plate. Right whee it should be. Once I plant it tomorrow, it will just be below the soil. I will have it like the others, 3/4ths out of the soil. If I cant post the pics, I will be emailing you:)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Aveo,

I think they grow that way for some kind of protection possibly? I've never noticed my papilio growing offsets this way, hopefully this isn't a mislabel?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Josh, Now that you mention it, I don't ever remember seeing a papilio set it's bulblets any other way than at the basal plate/root line...OhOhhh....

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Yeah, Donna, me either... This isn't significant evidence to determine that this isn't in fact H. papilio as I don't know whether it produces babies this way or NOT but I do not think so.

Aveo, don't fret, plant your bulb and let nature take it's course, if it is in fact mislabeled you will have another variety to enjoy ;)

• aveo5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Where do your Papilio bulblets come from Josh? Mine are always attached to the bottom of the bulb. Where should they be attached Josh? On a leaf? Seriously.

Where else do amaryllis bulblets come other than attached to the side of the bulb at the top of the basal plate? I am sure they are all Papilios, and once they all bloom I will be 1000% sure. But i am 100% sure they are all Paps.

All the bulblets from my big clump pf Papilios that I potted up, I took off 3 bulblets, all were attached to the top of the basal edge. I never knew what it was called. But they are all attached to the bottom of the bulb on the side, thats why they pushed up all the other bulbs, about 80% out of the soil.

Where else do amaryllis put out bulblets from,if not from the bottom?

I will have blooms on the first Papilio bulb in about a week i would say, I'll have to email some pics. to Donna:), the stalk is getting nice and tall, and the 'covering' on the blooms is just starting to open up...so, blooms are coming out! I hope for 4...but 2 will be fine. But honestly...where do amaryllis put out bulblets,if not from the bottom of the bulb,on the sides?

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

There are several types of baby bulbs, some under scales like yours and some that grow from the outside on the basal plate, not all Hippeastrum bulbs produce them BETWEEN the bulb scales like you described. There are also some Hippeastrum bulbs that produce baby bulbs that are NOT attached to the basal plate.

Neither Donna or I have noticed offsets growing on H. papilio in the manner between bulb scales but rather on the outside of the bulb attached to the basal plate and I'm very, very serious.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention, sometimes Hippeastrum are stoloniferous and produce bulbs on the tip of a long structures that resemble a long root. Many times the bulb will grow in midair, only certain bulbs produce babies this way just as some only produce babies in between bulb scales attached to the basal plate and some produce in between the scales while NOT being attached to the basal plate.

There is a FAQ at the top of the list of messages, there is a lot of information there on cultural of Hippeastrum.

• aveo5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have always found new bulblets attached to the bottom of bulbs. From Lily of the Valleys, to Hyacinths, to Amaryllis, they all put out new bulbs from the bottom. Once the layer/scale that the bulblet is under, like on mine, dries up and turns thin and papery, it 'sprouts' out of the soil and there is another bulb growing.
    Sounds like the way my Papilio is doing it, just the way yours does it, it is on the basal plate,under a layer/scale, and once the layer dries out, it will pop through it, sprout and start to grow.

Maybe because it is so big now, it is showing through? Which means maybe it will be a 'great mother bulb:)'. That it will make many bulbs, once it is growing and happy, it will become a bulb making 'machine'.

Maybe the bulblets on some of your amaryllis are smaller and dont show when you have them out of the soil, but they do come from the basal plate/under a layer/scale.

Like that very first Papilio I got that has SO many bulblets removed, and their removal ripped so many layers, it deformed the bottom, and that started me writing here, asking for advise, it is a great 'mother bulb' as Donna said, they took off so many bulblets, wherever it came from, they deformed it. As Donna said, it sounds like it is/was a great mother bulb, putting out so many that they took them off...like 6 of them.

Well that first one is still living, no rot yet! And signs of life on it now, leaves at least, so it might put out a lot more bulblets down the road. Where as all my other Papilios didnt have any bulblets on them. They were all removed. BUT this one is under a live layer/scale, so the grower couldnt remove it, without causing major damage.

The other 3 Papilios didnt have any bulblets showing...when planted. Well...I am just happy to have a baby bulb growing on the mother bulb, and as long as it grows and flowers and then one day this bulblet pops up, I will be happy:).

• johnsonm08
    12 years ago

Just thought I would add this, I'm pretty sure its papilio.
    Mike
    {{gwi:449106}}

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying Aveo, there are multiple ways offsets appear, some between bulb layers, some develop on the OUTSIDE of the bulb on the basal plate, some develop in the middle of a scale and some on stolons. They do not all develop in between bulb layers.

I'm not saying H. papilio DOESN'T develop them in between bulb layers but I have never seen this and neither has Donna. I've only ever seem them develop on the outside of the bulb attached to the basal plate. Like I said, not all offsets start on the inside and work their way out. It completely depends on the clone on how they develop offsets, some may utilize several techniques while some may not produce them at all.

• aveo5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I understand you Josh. I am dense,...but i am not THAT dense. Just showing you,and saying how, MY papilios are sprouting their bulblets...and all my experience with amaryllis, they all put out bulblets from the basal plate or the basal plate and under a scale. Like this last big bulb with the second bulb on it,under the one scale.

I understand what you said. And from the way your horrible Papilio bulb that you got looks in your other post, it looks like someone in Holland went nuts taking off bulblets from the basal plate, and ripped that bulb apart!

And YOU got stuck with it. Like i said..DEMAND a refund and a replacement bulb,....or at least a replacement, ASAP. A BIG bulb, not some tiny little crummy one either.

Sponsored
More Discussions