Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowfingers

Growing from seeds

yellowfingers
11 years ago

Hello
I would likes to say hi to the forums. I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time and got many good advices on growing amaryllis. Today I have a question about seeds. How long should I store them before I can put them in the water for germination process. I harvested them yesterday

Comments (13)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

You'll get a higher rate of germination if you germinate them right after harvesting. The rate goes down the longer you wait. I stored some for over six months and about half still germinated. Are you waiting for anything in particular? Don't know where you live, but if it's going into winter now, if you grow them indoors under lights, they'll be strong enough to go outside in the springtime.
    K

• yellowfingers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not waiting for anything. The thing is those seeds are not fully rippen yet. When the seed pot was growing, my mom came over and she twisted the flower stalk. It still manage to grow a bit more but seem like the stalk is dying and the pod gotten soft so I just harvested them. I live in zone 9 in northern California so Im going to try it today then.

11 years ago

Are they fully formed? What kind of flower was it?
    K

• yellowfingers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some of the seed look good but the rest aren't so I'm trying to save them. It was light right cross with red lion

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

If I recall correctly, you should be able to "candle" the seeds, much like chicken eggs, and see the viable little dark spot in them by holding them up to a light source held behind them... and sometimes, when fully formed, you can actually see the little bumps inside the papery seed sheaths.

I wish I knew where my older pictures were... maybe someone could post a link or photo?

11 years ago

how old are the seeds...meaning how many days did they form in the pod?

• yellowfingers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They were about close to 2 months I think. The day I harvested, some of the seeds have a plumb in the middle but today I touch them again and they are all flat.

• yellowfingers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They were about close to 2 months I think. The day I harvested, some of the seeds have a plumb in the middle but today I touch them again and they are all flat.

11 years ago

Doesn't sound good... I would try and float them to see if they are just dehydrated. If they are viable they will plump back up. Otherwise, if they don't get plump, they don't sound viable.
    K

• yellowfingers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My seeds sprouted. Should I put them in the soils yet or should I wait for them to have leaves? Some of them also sink in the water, will them be ok?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Your seeds are looking good! I wouldn't worry about those that may sink, but keep an eye on them and if any of them start to turn mushy remove them immediately and be sure to change the water ever 4 or 5 days.
    I always let the first leaves grow before planting in soil but some people plant seeds directly in the soil before they sprout. The choice is yours. Good luck with them!
    Here is what my seeds look like before I plant, but again, the choice is yours...

Donna

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Nice work, Donna! Do you keep those under a light, or in a window? I ask about light source because of the leaf color, and how green they are, already!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Jodi, That picture was taken in May of 2012. They germinated as do all my seeds on the coffee table in the middle of the living room. No window light just the light from 7 windows in that particular room.
    Here are the same seedlings today, 7 months later.

{{gwi:449384}}

{{gwi:449385}}

If you can believe it most of those leaves are 13" long!! Unfortunately, this is just a selfing. I also did Exotica x Mocca and Harbor Lights x Mocca and I have about 10 of each of those and they are only half the size of the selfs.

The growing seedlings aren't under lights, just in south facing windows, not too close to the window though I'd guess they get about 2 or 3 hours of morning sun a day.

I will admit though that the selfs are in a room that is several degrees warmer than the room where the others are growing but, these are the only seedlings that are so vigirous..the others in the warmer room are all the same size as the cooler room.

Donna

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions