Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ah well, but for the best laid plans ........

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 18:53

While I know it is always a crap shoot timing wise, I was hoping to have the "Oskar" I picked up at Lowes last month in bloom over Christmas-New Years. Considering I didn't pot the bugger up until the 2nd week of November or so, I figured it might be a tight race to have it bloom before the holidays passed. (At potting time there was yet no sign of any type of growth.) Well now it looks like it will be done blooming before Christmas even gets here. About a week after potting it up a scape began to poke up and as of today, the spike is about a foot tall. I don't really see it holding off flowering until the holidays.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ah well, but for the best laid plans ........

LOL Paul, you got to admit, Amaryllis do tend to do their own celebrating some times! How about a Photo? Maybe she will develop a second, or even third scape!

o

• Posted by ryan820 z5b Denver, Colorado (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 19:25

Hippeastrums are the flowers who, when they finally wake up and bloom, wonder's what everyone's problem is.

;oD

You realize this means you need another bulb, right?

DR.

o

So, I've planted some months ago and still NOTHING and some have bloomed, faded, set seeds and have 6 or so healthy leaves! It's very hit or miss with Hippeastrum but the flowers are incredibly worth it ;)

Denver Ryan is right, sounds like you need to hit up the local Lowe's for a few more ;)

o

Sounds like you'd better buy a couple and stagger them...my Oskar bloomed early, all through..so pick another red, maybe Red Lion or Minerva...Good luck getting your blooms for Christmas...and it doesn't have to be red you know, they're all beautiful...

Donna

o

Listen to you guys...you are enabling this poor guy! Encouraging him to spend his hard earned $$$ on Amaryllis of every size and color in hopes he gets them to flower at the stroke of midnight Christmas Eve......jingle......jingle......jingle...Just hear those sleigh bells jingling-...ring-ting tingling too.......

o

• Posted by ryan820 z5b Denver, Colorado (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 22:39

Cindee did you expect anything less? Co-dependent behavior ain't any fun alone!

LOL!

o

I feel yur pain Paul,

I wanted my Gervase at least to come out for the holidays but
mine look like they wont do much til February, if then.

I do want more but am going to wait til spring and hope I can join a Maguire's order .....

o

It's quite unhappy to not have the blooms you wanted for the holidays.

In my case, I can delay blooming by wrapping my bulb (scape and all) in newspaper and placing it in the fridge until I think it's time. It worked for me, but of course, the flowers wouldn't be as spectacular as they would bloom normally. But well, I guess I couldn't have the cake and it eat too, right?

Xuan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here