Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much I love you; Amaryllis.

Posted by daes80us Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 18:55

So I really am just having an amazing experience with amaryllis. My obsession started a few years ago when I bought my first bulb. At that time I didn't know much about amaryllis/Hippeastrum, except that when it bloomed its flowers were so breathtaking, I instantly feel in love. Wanting to know all about this bulb I turned to the Internet and was quite displeased to read that to get your bulb to bloom again was something that was not so easy, but I thought, what the hell lets give it a try. I placed the pot and all in my closet and low and behold it bloomed! I thought to myself either I'm an an amazing Gardner or this is not so hard? Well each year I fear what if they don't bloom again and each year I end up with beautiful flower scapes, and each year I buy a couple more bulbs. So this year I tried to pollinate two flowers and produced seeds. So now I'm excited to see if I can get some new plants to grow from seed. And today I noticed my very first offset!! So I have come to the conclusion that the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum bulb is a very easy plant to care for and grow and reap amazing benefits each year with beautiful flowers! I have not tried not forcing my plants to bloom so next year I think I'll keep one or two out and just see how they bloom on their own? If anyone has any advice about not forcing or anything else about these amazing plants feel free to comment !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much I love you; Amaryllis.

I don't force mine and they set scapes Feb-April with blooms March - June just north of Houston, TX.
K

o

So u dont with hold water or anything? Just keep watering and growing in light all year round and they will just bloom on their own?

o

Before I ever had a greenhouse, the bulbs I left outside all year bloomed in the spring. I only protected them from frost. This year in the GH I have many that are still actively growing and I expect them to bloom. Scape watch will start in Feb. I can't wait!!
K

o

Well I just pulled mine out of dormancy and watching the scapes slowly start to emerge so I am excited about that! But I live in ohio so I have to bring them in before the frost! I think I left mine out till like the end of September this year!

o

Fun!!! I don't have any place that gets cool enough for dormancy! AC was running at neighbors' house weekend before Christmas as temps outside we're in the 80s! My garage stays pretty warm too. Of course we've had 4 nights in the 20s this week!

So I just look forward to a greenhouse full of blooms March through June.
K

o

Just thought I'd update the pic of the offset. It really is growing rapidly! And the new amaryllis belladonna I bought on the internet has a nice new offset also! How long does it take for the offsets to bloom?

This post was edited by daes80us on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 16:35

o

Just like any other amaryllis, the bulb needs to have 6-8 leaves before it is considered blooming size. You might get a surprise from a smaller bulb, but this is typical.
K

o

Your pots are pretty. My advice is to stick with your current plan and limit yourself to a couple each year or else you end up with a jungle. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here