Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum 'Neon Pink' *WARNING* Sunglasses Needed!

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys :)

"Neon Pink" is an absolutely incredible fluorescent performer, no collection is complete without this beauty!

{{gwi:403348}}

{{gwi:449795}}

Comments (15)

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Isn't it wonderful! I wish I had half a dozen of them! I sure hope my last years one survived and will bloom again for me! I did order one new one from RC.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Noni,

I absolutely love it :) One of my vary favorites!

I heard this is pretty much sterile, has anyone had any luck breeding this one?

Josh

• paul_
    13 years ago

That's quite nice!

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

Joshy,
    Your Neon Is gorgeous I had to restrain myself from buying another this year. The only thing to make this beauty fantastic would be better results with seeds. I have not had any luck with Neon as the pod parent or as the pollen parent. But I have heard that others have had some success ask on LP.

AJ

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

AJ :)

To know there is hope to cross makes me extremely happy! I've been crossing it with dips, tets and a possible triploid "Sweet Lillian". We will see what happens!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

I know! Right? It's amazing. The total blooms in a scape, the color, the perfect form. The only thing missing is to be able to make seeds! I bought two of these bulbs last year in the Yahoo co-op - they were a nice (average) size, but when I lifted them in the fall they had literally doubled in size. With a ton of little bulblets all around to boot. I'm hoping that all the bulblets survive in the spring and continue to grow. Theory is that this might be a triploid and hence sterile. I don't believe anyone successfully crossed it or pollinated it. (Great picture, btw, Josh ;-)

Alana

• hotsummer
    13 years ago

I bought "Neon" from RC that looks the same, only not that fluorescent, just pink. It has 6 small flowers on one flower stock and 8! on another. I pollinated 6 of them and it doesn't look like they are taking. What a waste of Maguire's pollen if it's steril!
    If I remember correctly, Blanka had some successful crosses with her Neon Rose.
    Does anyone know if "Neon", "Neon Pink", and "Neon Rose" are the same flower?
    Helen

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Greetings to all you lovers of pink!

Helen, you have a good memory. Although Neon Rose has been pod sterile under my husbandry, I successfully used its pollen on several tets and viable seed was produced. Sooo, keep on trying. It will happen.

And yes, I think that Neon Rose, Neon, and Neon Pink are synonyms. However, she will always be Neon Rose to me, as this was her first moniker.

Cheers,

Blanca

• hotsummer
    13 years ago

Thank you, Blanca.

I'll keep on trying.

So sorry for misspelling...
    Helen

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blanca,

How old are your crosses? I would love to see the progeny of "Neon Rose" :)

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Blanca, I didn't realize you got any seeds from a Neon (Rose) cross! That's exciting news. Not sure where I've been ;-) What did you cross it with that took? Every single thing I tried resulted in failure last season.

Alana

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Hi sweet Alana,

You were probably off cooking up those famous chicken sandwiches!

These crosses were made when opportunities presented themselves and were among many other attempts that failed.

*If memory serves, the freshness of the pollen appeared to be a factor.

Baby Star x Neon Rose
    Carina x Neon Rose
    Exotica (very few viable seeds)
    Limona x Neon Rose (only one viable seed, not robust)
    Green Dragon x Neon Rose

Josh,

They are very young, and it will be years before these crosses bloom. I do not use supplemental lighting. My seedlings are noticably slower in growth than those of others hippi friends (e.g., Kristi, Del, and Alana). They also slip into dormancy occasionally and the weak do not survive long-term. However, I am satisfied with healthy seedlings that show slow and steady growth.

Gotta say that I was absolutely amazed at the root system development and bulb size of some of Kristi's young seedlings last year. As documented on this forum, hippis really do grow quickly in places like Texas, Florida, and Vietnam. And some bulbs (like a few of Alana's) are reported to have "weed genes."

Best, Blanca

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Ha! Thanks Blanca. That will give me some hope, and also direction, for this year's attempts at Neon cross seeds. I had written it off as a producer of any offspring based on my complete prior lack of success. Though I still am even more impressed with the bulb after lifting it this fall and seeing how huge it had grown over the summer. (And let's hope you get to sample a chicken sandwich at Laguna Seca ;-)

• organicstarbuck
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!

• cindeea
    13 years ago

The NEON'S so bright I GOTTA wear shades!!

Lovely, Josh.

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Fairfax County