Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's wrong with my bulb

Posted by yellowfingers 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 19:10

Hi,

Today I decide to take my bulbs out of the pot for dormant and I found out that my bulb has a rotten spot on it. I peel that area off but there seem to be a rotten layer inside that is rotting too. I'm not sure what to do. Also are these red dot around my bulb is the dreaded blotch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's wrong with my bulb

Remember that they also get red when they get bruised and they turn red very fast!

Why not return the bulb to the pot, but plant it very high so that the bulb is basically sitting on the surface (held tight by all those beautiful roots). Rot is encouraged by being too moist and with the bulb up top, you can keep it dry. The outer layer should turn brown shortly.
K

o

How should I care for it after I put it back in the pot. I left them out for a few hours and the root now seem a bit dry. Should I water it at all yet? All the root were fine. None of them rot or anything. Thanks

This post was edited by yellowfingers on Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 21:35

o

I would clean the dirt off the neck. Give it some water and let it rest. I wouldn't expect the roots to rot unless you left it totally drenched in water.

Just care for it and it will reward you. You have cut the leaves off, so read the FAQ message (do NOT reply to it) and that should give you good info about care and reblooming. You have been doing ok for it to have grown so well!!
K

o

Please take Kristi's advice.

But I wish to reassure you that I have had bulbs in worse state than what you have here, but with careful planting and watering, they survived for me :).

Xuan

o

Thank you xuan. By the way, how is your amaryllis. I was in Vietnam last June visiting my brother. He also has one amaryllis in front of his house but he told me it never bloom for him. Can amaryllis bloom naturally in Vietnam?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here