Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstropic

Oh Fudge another one

jstropic (10a)
9 years ago

So this is supposed to be Jewel of the Night. Ok members of Oh Fudge what do you think this is?

Starting to think Nagano - J

This post was edited by jstropic on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 20:06

Comments (28)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

With WFF catalog in hand, my thought is H. Monaco. Pg 9. White tips on tepals and coloration on stigma and anthers match.
    K

9 years ago

Jody,
    Nagano is definitely more of a peachy red and the white midribs extend almost to the edge of the tepals, whereas Monaco is paprika red and the white in the throat forms a star.
    K

edited to rotate image

This post was edited by kaboehm on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 14:23

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

I hope this is not typical of all of the Jewel of the Night. I bought three of them and would be very disappointed in them.
    Maida

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, Kristi, the picture of Monaco I pulled up from Google even shows that odd petal growth (right side of picture)!!!! Now I can put a name to her. This calls for a promotion within the Order of Hippeastrum :)

Maida, I would think with ordering three that you stand a good change of getting at least one lol,-- hopefully all three will be correct.

The flower of Monaco is really pretty and I don't have anything like it so, if Maida gets a real Jewel of the Night, I might try again next year. - J

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Hello Jody and Fellow Sleuths,

Could this be the beginning of a record breaking season for mislabels from favored sellers like Royal Colors and White Flower Farm?

IâÂÂm not convinced that this bulb is âÂÂMonaco;â unless Jody reports that she sees red markings in the eyes of the flowers? @ Jody: Do you see any?

@ Maida: Although I only purchased two âÂÂJewel of the Nightâ bulbs, I will be very disappointed if either of them turn out to look like this!

-Blanca

This post was edited by blancawing on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 0:26

9 years ago

Dear Blanca,
    I noticed the red ring as well, but, it was the closest I could find within their offerings that could be explained by a mix-up. Otherwise, they clearly aren't selling what they claim.

Wasn't it 2009 that was so bad for mislabeled bulbs? When I was in Lisse, I was told things were going to get better as the reasoning had to do with a fire and destruction of records. You would think that the big sellers would bloom out some bulbs to confirm what they get, but then...I guess that could delay shipping even longer.

They have an H. Avanti that looks similar in color with a clear throat, but my Avanti was more pinky-red. I'd also say that your white really is a star and in H. Avanti they are stripes nearly to the end of the tepal.

Jody...write in pencil!! It matches H.Monaco except for the red ring in the throat.

The mystery continues...
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 7:49

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blanca, the flower has no red in the eye. Oh well, I'll call this one 'Almost Monaco' :)

I hope that's the end of the mislabels.

9 years ago

TO COMPLICATE THINGS....
    H.Queen of the Nile (from V. Read, plate 3-13).
    Your bloom is fuller....but again, may vary by level of care. This looks like it could be a Maguire's offering, so doubt this is your bulb, but we're getting warmer.

Another option...H. Celebration..matches color, but not bloom shape.

The Order's motto: We won't stop until we're done! (And we're done we we are successful or we just give up).
    K

PS...V. Read places H. Nagano in with the salmon-colored blooms.

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 8:22

9 years ago

Several non-English language sites show this as H. Monaco. Also see link for slightly fuller bloom posted April 2013.

Ok...I'm done because I give up!
    (Smile)
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: H. Monaco

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kristi,

It is definitely not salmon colored, your description of paprika is perfect! The one odd thing it has is that strange extra part of the petal. It has this odd piece on the front and back. I've seen it in some of the Google images of Monaco, but then some of the images show red in the eye and some all white. Hmmm

Blanca, how are your bulbs from RC doing? - J

9 years ago

Jody... My original reply was before having my first cup of coffee. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Did you get this from WFF or RC? It looks like nothing that Royal Colors is offering. Don't know why I picked up the WFF catalog, guess I thought you had gotten it from them. At least they offered some clues...
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

If you Google Monaco images you'll find that some of the pictures don't have the red ring in the eye but most do.

Here is a link that might be useful: images of Monaco

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Donna, that makes things clear as mud!

Kristi, I got this from RC. I think they are the only one offering it this year. That's why I was thinking Nagano as that was the only one close to it that RC offered. But it is definitely not salmon colored. Strange - J

9 years ago

While at work (and bored)....I picked this up again.
    K

• agapanthe64
    9 years ago

this is my Monaco , (that I received as a bonus bulb) with the same odd small petals than your flower , but a dark red circle in the throat.Very flashy

• agapanthe64
    9 years ago

duplicate post -

This post was edited by agapanthe64 on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 16:55

9 years ago

Beatrice,
    Yours appears a pinky red, and maybe it's the angle, but more stripes than a star...this is a mystery for sure. Was yours also from Royal Colors?
    Kristi

• agapanthe64
    9 years ago

Hi Kristi , it was from Van Geest in Nederland , they are still seeling it this winter ,
    their picture : more red , you're right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monaco/Van Geest

9 years ago

I definitely see the red in the throat! But...their anthers are white whereas the others are pink toward the ends (where the pollen sacks are).
    ARGH....does this drive anyone else crazy besides me?!?!
    ;-)
    K

9 years ago

Check out H. Lambada on Emaryllis.com
    MATCH! (?)
    :-)
    K

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Match!!!!!! Its now official and I'm changing the tag to... drum roll..... H Lambada!! Thanks Kristi, your sleuthing has definitely paid off. - J

9 years ago

Case closed!
    K

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Happy New Year Jody and Fellow Sleuths,

This case must be reopened!

Sorry that I couldnâÂÂt post this sooner. IâÂÂve been down for the count with a vicious bug.

Below please see photo of my âÂÂLambadaâ (now deceased due to an unexpected frost and sadly out of production).

As Kristi mentioned 'Queen of the Nile' as a possibility earlier in the thread, I also included a photo of mine. She was bred by Mick and Nellie Maguire in Australia.

Sooo⦠the mystery continues.

Cheers,

Blanca

{{gwi:2123421}}

{{gwi:2123422}}

• mariava7
    9 years ago

I think it is Monaco.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Well, I think it's Monaco too...

Donnaâºâº

9 years ago

That was my first suggestion...but most Monaco have red in the throat, and Jody's bloom is clear. Why do I feel like we are right where we started?
    :-)
    K

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Happy New Year, Maria!

Sleuthing is important if we want to label our plants as accurately as possible.

Could we consider the possibility that JodyâÂÂs flower is a sport or mutation of âÂÂMonacoâÂÂ?

-Blanca

This post was edited by blancawing on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 19:55

9 years ago

Could be; however, H. Lambda was also a match. Considering current availability, Monaco is more likely, but....stranger things have happened.
    K

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions