Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

what can I put on Aulicum?

I have a big basket of huge Aulicum bulbs. The 4th scape is coming along nicely. Currently, there are 3 blooms on the 3rd scape. On scape #2, I dabbed Papilio pollen on one bloom and on a whim, Sprekelia on the other. I have a whole big basket and several pots of Aulicum x Papilio crosses...so you know that one should take!

With all the new bulbs getting ready to bloom, I'll have loads of Dutch hybrids and cybisters available as pollen donors (Chico, Lima, La Paz or Tango, [?] Quito, etc). Has anyone has luck crossing with Aulicum as either seed parent or pollen donor?

Thanks in advance!
K

Comments (16)

• Fred Biasella
    9 years ago

Hi Kristi,

Pictures, pictures we need pictures...please. LOL

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fred...pics of??? Aulicum?

Still waiting for RC bulbs to bloom. I only have Neon, Sweet Lillian, and Melfi blooming. Cyberspace is opening slowly. Jumbo Benfica is slow. Had Exotic Star blooming a few weeks back.
    K

• Fred Biasella
    9 years ago

Yup...I would love to see how you grow yours. Mine is still kinda small and probably won't flower for another season or so.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Big coco mat basket. These were a gift and so far they seem happy; they were hanging in a crepe myrtle until it got cold, then they got moved to the greenhouse.

Feed...what do you think I should try as far as pollen??

K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 16:32

Original Author
    9 years ago

Scape #2 in bloom with 2 blooms...Scape #3 with 3 blooms on far left (wasn't open when I took the photo), and Scape #4 to the right of open scape...growing fast.
    K

• Fred Biasella
    9 years ago

Hi Kristi,

They're beautiful!!! I wondering what offspring sprekelia pollen would produce?? I imagine a very exotic bloom? Thanks for the pictures.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

Original Author
    9 years ago

One step ahead of you...One of two blooms dabbed with Sprekelia, other with H. Exotic Star. Now I have 3 more to play with. Melfi? Cyberspace? La Paz?
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Well, with all those flowers, why not one of each!

They probably won't all take anyway. Last year I put papilio on aulicum and that took but I put aulicum on many others, can't recall what now, but nothing else took, just the very first cross x papilio. I also have 5 seedlings growing well of aulicum x mandoni that I bought from EBay, those flowers might be really scary!

Your basket is very beautiful!!

Donnaâºâº

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like a plan. Then I'll have 2 or 3 more blooms on the 4th scape. There are either 8 or 9 large bulbs, so there may be more scapes. The first scape was opening when I brought it home back in October, the other 3, came along in my care. Of course it was pampered long before I received it....I have huge shoes to fill.

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Hi Kristi,
    Are you growing your H.aulicum in any special mix in that coco mat basket? I ask as I read on web, that it grows epiphytically.. I have one, but it is in regular soil and I am thinking to replace it with pumice and clay pellets..and may be even place it with coconut fibre basket as you said.. Thx.

Radha.

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Hi Kristi,
    Are you growing your H.aulicum in any special mix in that coco mat basket? I ask as I read on web, that it grows epiphytically.. I have one, but it is in regular soil and I am thinking to replace it with pumice and clay pellets..and may be even place it with coconut fibre basket as you said.. Thx.

Radha.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Radha! I believe it was started in orchid mix. Honestly, there's not a lot of substrate in the basket as it's mostly bulbs!
    K

• Fred Biasella
    9 years ago

Hi Kristi,

After looking at your beautiful basket of Aulicum, I was thinking of trying Pat's cedar board technique that he used for his Papilio. Since they're both members of the same sub-group, I think it'll work. I won't do it now, but probably in the spring. Whadda ya think?

Warm Regards,
    Fred

Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it will work. What do you have to lose? I mounted a Papilio using his technique and also started my own basket of Papilio. The basket of Papilio quickly increased to 5-6 bulbs plus the mother bulb. I'd say it's pretty happy.
    K

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Hi Fred and Kristi,
    here is how I have H. aulicum and H. calyptratum..

{{gwi:2123450}}

I planted H. papilio in regular potting mix, so I will wait until the blooming season is over to try and convert.. The other optionn is to get one more and grow it in pumice and clay pellets and compare..

Radha.

• Fred Biasella
    9 years ago

Hi Radha,

Keep us posted, I would be very interested how they do.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

Sponsored