Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

I Got a New Bulb!

jodik_gw
12 years ago

I was actually able to obtain a new bulb today while shopping for supplies! It's not a special variety, or one I haven't grown before... it's very common... but I'm just so happy to finally have a new bulb to enjoy! I had to share the news! :-)

It's a Red Lion, and at $4.99, the price was right. I was surprised to find that the majority of bulbs at this particular display were very large and healthy looking. I chose a nice big bulb with one scape tip showing, and some nice live roots. It was purchased at Meijer's.

I will toss the cocopeat disk and the plastic pot that has no drainage holes, and I'll plant it in a good gritty mix using a large clay pot.

As soon as it blooms, I'll share photos... I know it's nothing special to see a Red Lion... but color and live growth in the middle of winter are nice, no matter how common they are. :-)

Comments (21)

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

I just got lucky at Lowe's yesterday. Some one told me that Lowe's have amaryllis on sale. I ran as past as I can and first Lowe's I got 20 boxes and second Lowe's I got another 15 boxes. Original price at $8.98 for $2 each box.
    I keep 10 together and shave the rest with my friends.
    {{gwi:450587}}

Still in the trunk of my car 35 boxes
    {{gwi:450590}}

{{gwi:450593}}

{{gwi:450595}}

{{gwi:450597}}

• SummerPerson
    12 years ago

That was definitely a bargain that would be hard to pass up.

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

Thats a real bargain and when i see the pic of the Minerva, what is no Minerva, i think, You will have some surprises more! Who knows, what is inside? I think these are all surpriseboxes. Good luck with them!

• haxuan
    12 years ago

You guys are so lucky to have Lowes :(

Xuan

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Awesome blossom, extra awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: 'The Office' clip

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

If those are ceramic pots with no drainage....be careful, as you are encouraging rot!! Also, these are the same kits (same grower) that supplied the bulbs infested with virus last year. Not to be a wet blanket, but to offer warnings!

The Minerva on the box looks like Gilmar to me!

Kristi

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Thank you every body. Yes, Kristi, those are ceremic pots without drainage hole. I use them until after the bloom and will put them in the garden for next year bloom.
    I follow instructions and it works year after year.
    Marie

• haweha
    12 years ago

I would not mind if the "Minerva" turned out to be [Brasbonitas]"Gilmar"- which the respective picture shows.

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

Fun! I got myself a White Christmas one yesterday at the grocery store. They only had the usual 4 bulbs but they looked big and healthy. They used to have some neat other colors but they have a new manager and these are the same boxes you see most everywhere, but still fresh. Enjoy that Red Lion (Or what ever it turns out to be! and hope with me that mine is a single white of most any healthy variety!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do hope you get the single white you're after, and as for my new Red Lion, I'm not even particular about what it turns out to be... as long as it blooms and remains healthy, I'll be satisfied! :-)

Often, it seems, the best deals to be had are at the big box stores... and they don't seem very interested in trying new or different varieties to see how well their customers react. I think they'd sell more bulbs if they offered something slightly different every year... unless you can plant them in groups or drifts outside in your garden, how many of one kind does a grower really want or need?!

• beetle_2007
    12 years ago

Hi Jody:)
    I think Red Lion is a Lovely flower, Its so bright and cheery , and is Perfect for Christmas! Hope it Flourishes for you:)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Jodi,

Red Lion was one of my first bulbs several years ago, it has since gone to that great bulb heaven in the sky, but I have some pictures from my first bloom and it was really lovely. Nothing nicer for Christmas than red, even though I know many find Red Lion mundane these days..Good Luck, whatever it turns out to be. These days when you buy a bulb with label, all you're sure you've got until it blooms is a bulb and a label!!

Donna

12 years ago

Doesn't matter if it's Red Lion, Apple Blossom, or Minerva...all the old standards are beautifu!

{{gwi:372102}}

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Everyone! I chose this Red Lion because the bulb was huge and healthy, and within my price range! But I, too, like all the old standards... it doesn't matter how common... seeing any big, beautiful bloom in winter is always a boost to the spirit! :-)

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

The 10 bulbs I bought about 2 weeks ago, one already start to bloom and 2-3 more going to bloom soon. Hope by Christmas or New Year.
    {{gwi:450599}}

{{gwi:450601}}

{{gwi:450603}}

{{gwi:450605}}

{{gwi:450607}}

{{gwi:450608}}

{{gwi:450609}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

You're going to have lots of flowers blooming for sure..wonder what that tall one is....

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

My White Christmas has a nice big fat bud coming out of it and I think the 2nd bud is starting upwards! I also have a Snow. (..something) coming along behind it so should have single and double whites by Christmas!

Jodi I sold two bouquets today with Amaryllis...Will try to get the pics up here tomorrow for you.

• chazparas
    12 years ago

Just stopping in with a long overdue hello and howdy do? After settling into our new home and my new nursing job two years ago now, Chase and I are relocating to San Jose CA! The gypsy in my blood is very happy! I'm in MA still organizing the move and handling the real estate joy, Chase is already there since the beginning of august and loving it. I'm stuck in MA until our home here sells.
    Update on plants...most cannot come with me, very sad about that :( but its a chance to start anew I guess. The majority of my hippy bulbs did not do well and are about the size of a golf ball, they just did not like the home we moved into two years ago! I'm probably going to trim, clean up and ship them to myself. Other than that I'm only going to take a few of my older plants with me, and I'll have to get certificates to cross into CA with them.
    Hope everyone is doing great and I'm hoping to fall off the hippy wagon and start fresh again out west. Hopefully I'll be able to grow them out doors year round?
    Peace to all,
    Chaz

12 years ago

Hey Chaz...welcome back to the list, even if it is for a short visit! You are a gypsy...I just knew it! CA is very picky about the agriculture going into their state, but when I moved from CA, I found the AZ was sort of picky too! I packed a lot of my plants into wardrobe boxes and moved them right on through to TN! No problem...going to CA...big issue!!

You won't be more than a couple hours from Blanca!! I'll be in Sacramento for a conference in Oct, and plan to take a week off. Maybe we can meet up in Napa or???

Will catch up with off list!
    K

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

ltran, I'm envious of your massive haul! I like all the ceramic cache pots too... the weight would help keep the plants from tipping over. I stopped by my local Home Depot tonight to see if they had any deals on amaryllis... they only had the standard $6 kits and they weren't on sale. I bought an Apple Blossom for a coworker who is retiring (she loves pink).

Chaz, San Jose should be a good area for growing hippies outside. The weather throughout the Bay Area tends to be pretty moderate... extreme cold and extreme heat are somewhat rare (one of the reasons the Bay Area is a really lovely place to live... unfortunately the rents and home prices are NOT lovely).

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

My Christmas Story just bloomed a double flower that looks a darker shaded Appleblossom. I have no idea what it is, but it is beautiful. Our Lowes had them marked down half price, I picked up 13 more bulbs, so far 3 have bloomed doubles. I cannot believe I have so many bulbs. Last year, at this time I only had about 4 bulbs, now I have over 85 mother bulbs. They marked them down the day after Christmas last year. Last years bulbs are not blooming yet, only the ones I bought this year. I think, most of us will be suprized with what we got this year. The doubles are all coming from the $5.99 boxes from Lowes. Barbra

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions