Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsonm08

Virus Question

johnsonm08
12 years ago

I have an Apple Blossom that I got from one of the BB's, and now guess after everyone's comments that its probably virused. The question is --it will come into bloom at the same time as my papilio will pollen transmit the virus to the papilio, or if i go the other way would the seed be virused?

Comments (14)

• npublici
    12 years ago

If your Papilio does not already have the mosaic virus,it is unlikely to be able to transmit the virus to Apple Blossom.No one I know has ever seen mosaic virus on Papilio.No one I know has ever gotten viable seeds using Apple blossom as the female parent. To my knowledge no extensive study has been done proving that Papilio does not get virused,or transmit it without having symptoms its self,however some of the worlds foremost Amaryllid authouities say it is resistant to mosaic virus.In Hippeastrum the mosaic virus has not been known to transmit to the seed of an infected female parent.When you pollinate a female with pollen from a known virused plant you are putting virused pollen on the female plant.As to whether Papilio will get the virus,try it and find out.
    Del

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I don't think that Apple Blossom and papilio are compatible(different ploidy) but it never hurts to try. If you suspect a plant to be virused I would use it as the seed parent. I would never knowingly put pollen from a virused plant on a healthy plant let alone a papilio. By the way, the general consensus is that papilio is not susceptible to virus but I still would advise against it. The seeds should be virus free either way though. Both Apple Blossom and papilio are very picky about their partners, but maybe you could get some pollen from someone else for your papilio. Putting your pap pollen on Apple Blossom (if it worked) might yield you only a few viable seeds, what what beauties they would be!! Try it! I have about 8 growing seedlings of Benfica x papilio and those are different ploidy so anything is possible...

As another approach read the thread titled Papilio from Ebay down on the first page and see how I mixed several pollens together to put on papilio..and it worked for me!

Why do you suspect that your Apple Blossom is virused? Have you seen the mottled greens in the leaves already (?) or are you just assuming it will be virused. It's very possible that is just fine. Unfortunately the virus usually shows up several months later when the bulb is out in the hot summer sun and the bulb gets stressed..it doesn't always show up immediately. Keeps you guessing.
    Well good luck with whatever you try and remember, you can store pollen in the refrigerator for a few months without freezing it so, if something else comes along you can store it for later use. Hope I've helped you a little, maybe somebody else will add their thoughts...

Donna

12 years ago

Del,

Under the "Which Bulbs are Sterile" post please see my picture of my Apple Blossom which yielded a viable seedpods last year #there were two.. only one was good# and the seedlings are growing just fine..over a year now..If you think the pictured bulb isn't an Apple Blossom, what DO you think it is? I have two AP bulbs..both the same bought different years and both are fragrant...never before have I been successful with a viable pod on either Apple Blossom..but last year, Lady Jane did do the trick!! It really did!

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Here's a new thought...as I'm looking at the Apple Blossom blooming in my greenhouse window...I read somewhere recently that the mosaic pattern can show up on the scape. So...what do I think I see tonight on the scape of a beautiful Apple Blossom?? ^&%$^%^&%%#@## pattern!!

So, while our leaves of the virused plants looked great early last season before the heat really hit...the pattern might show up on the scapes! This AB came from HD...dangnabit!
    K

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know for sure it has virus, it was the super cheap bulb from Lowes, so I figured better safe than sorry....
    Is there anything special involved in storing the pollen from my papilio? I got several new ones, Black Pearl, San Remo, and Pink Nymph, as well as the La Paz and Spotty that I have had for years. I might try them with the papilio pollen.

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, and Elvas too...

12 years ago

All I do with my pollen is let it dry for a couple of days in a plastic cup then store in one of those mini zip lock bags that you can buy at craft stores and put in the fridge. It will keep for several months. I usually do this with most all of my pollens..sometimes I never use them at all but at least I have a choice when and if the mood strikes.

Kristi, If you have the time, could we see a picture of your scape..I've not seen that even in my suspected virused plants (at least I haven't noticed it) And the leaves haven't come up yet on this Apple Blossom? What do you think they're going to look like? Now matter how careful we are we can still get &%)#+#&$3!!

12 years ago

What does your Spotty look like..seems I remember some folks searching for that one..not me, but who was it?

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If you scroll down 2 weeks or so the thread is there and a link to a pic is in the original post. Josh was looking for it. I expect it to flower in Feb or March -- I will get a pic up when it does.
    Mike

• npublici
    12 years ago

Donna, I can't see well enough to decide anything visually right now.I am going in for the first lens replacement Dec 7th.
    I don't doubt your success though. I know of many exceptions to the rules in genetics.I've enjoyed a couple myself.I have had seedlings which looked a lot like AB.Without chromosome Id you could not know for sure.I've noticed its fragrance at times too.I've occaissionaly noticed mosaic in scapes.I've had twisted, stunted scapes with some markings of the disease.
    Del

12 years ago

Del, I wish you the best of luck with your eye surgery! Then you can check out my Apple Blossom!
    Donna

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I, too, wish you the best, Del... my thoughts are with you for a positive outcome to your surgery.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Good luck Del! Those IOL implants are amazing! You'll wonder why you waited so long! Please report your successful outcome soon!
    HUGS!
    Kristi

12 years ago

Del, You are probably having your surgery right now!! Good Luck!!

Donna

Sponsored
More Discussions