Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum 'Charisma'

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys :)

"Charisma" has a much smaller flower that I imagined!

{{gwi:451093}}

{{gwi:451096}}

Comments (22)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Charisma is a beauty as is yours, one of my favorites...just beautiful!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Josh, that's beautiful. I don't have one of these but thought from the pictures I've seen that it had a larger bloom. I'm surprised to hear it's not. Charismatic none the less though.

Alana

• shodack78
    13 years ago

I'm in love with this one!!

• ryan820
    13 years ago

I just got this bulb from a great friend of mine. Its pushing two scape. Excellent blooms, Josh. How big are they? Good capturing them, too.

Alana I didn't know you didn't have one! I had it in my head that you did. We shall have to remedy this. ;oD

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Ryan, no Charisma for me. (That sounds better than saying I don't have Charimsa ;-) There are just too many bulbs and too little space. I really need to buy a new house with a sun room just for plants. There's only so much you can do with a dining room.

Alana

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana,

You must find more space :)

Ryan,

Mine are about 4 inches across at most :) They're quite small but so beautiful! Does anyone have an idea of the ploidy of "Charisma"?

• quail
    13 years ago

Sounds cute :) What color is it? Is it fragrant? Thanks!
    Michelle

• ryan820
    13 years ago

"Ryan,

Mine are about 4 inches across at most :) They're quite small but so beautiful! Does anyone have an idea of the ploidy of "Charisma"?"

Wow... that is pretty small. I'll let you know what mine come up with. Hoping they're bigger but either way, its a great-looking bloom.

So how many bulbs are you up to now? Has your sig other resigned to the fact the bulbs are taking over? LOL

DR

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Charisma and its progeny

Charisma is a good mother. All her descendent have the specks and the red margin
    MOTHER
    {{gwi:388348}}
    DAUGHTERS
    {{gwi:380427}}
    {{gwi:398624}}
    {{gwi:380429}}
    {{gwi:3536}}
    {{gwi:428733}}
    These are a few of the lot
    Arif

• cindeea
    13 years ago

ha ha Alana-Alas, I LOST my Charisma! Must be an age thing. Anyway, it is one of my favs. Mine was sick to begin with I think. Poorly formed flowers, then rot...Josh yours is Beautiful! Great photos.

Arif, I love your crosses(always) Are these 'daughters' just from Selfing? Look at the variety, they are all so unique. Love the freckles.

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Now Cindee, I don't believe that for a second ;-)

Arif, great Charisma offspring. I know you've given up recording the parentage, but could the last one be Lady Jane?

Alana

13 years ago

Arif,

They are all beautiful, Zari must be your favorite since you named it..! Strangely enough, last year when my Charisma was blooming, (3 scapes and numerous flowers) I was unable to get my Charisma to set any seeds at all, and was only successful on one cross of Amsterdam X Charisma, of which I have a half dozen seedling slowly growing. All in all, my Charisma wasn't very prolific either way. Wonder what I was doing wrong.. I tried several crosses,.. didn't document it, so I've forgotten, but will certainly try again this year after seeing your beauties...

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna,

How big are your flowers? I can't believe mine are so small, maybe it's because they don't have roots yet?

Ryan,

My bulbs and I are currently looking for a new home ;) *i'm at atleast 100*

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Donna,
    Yes, after my wife

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Arif,

Your crosses are phenomenal, I especially love the 5th picture down, was this a cross or a self? If it's a self it's apparent that H. papilio had a part in the beautiful "Charisma"!

13 years ago

Hi Josh, My Charisma flowers were close to 5" last year, and I too thought those were small at the time, obviously they weren't..My bulb was a fatty that had 3 scapes, and it was beautiful.. as is yours. I'm sure your flowers will be substantially larger next year, when, as you say the bulb develops roots. Although mine had no roots either, I think the size of the bulb helped. I also had Temptation, which is similar to Charisma and I remember that the flowers were a bit larger on Temptation. Between the two, last year the vote around here was for Temptation, but it may have been where I had the flowers sitting..right on the kitchen window sill.

Donna

My Charisma..

{{gwi:451103}}

{{gwi:451105}}

and Temptation..

{{gwi:451107}}
    {{gwi:451110}}

They are both very similar, there is even someone on Ebay who is selling one of them under both names. It can get confusing...I do think they are different though...It appears that Temptation has more white, I think I like it a tad better, what do you think...??

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna,

Your pictures are amazing, I'm very fond of "Charisma", I've not grown "Temptation" but I can see slight differences, your lighting must be really good! ;) I see that "Temptation" seems to be a red on white where "Charisma" is a white on red.

Did you have any problem getting "Charisma" to root?

Josh

13 years ago

Josh, If I remember correctly, it did take a while for Charisma to root, but the worse offender was my Pasadena, it took at least 2 months after the second scape bloomed for it to root, I seriously thought I had lost it as it looked like a shriveled walnut..

Donna

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

{{gwi:451113}}

{{gwi:451116}}

Just a couple of my charisma, so far all correct ids!

• ryan820
    13 years ago

I have Charisma growing right now, and the scapes are a deep red-- the entire thing-- bud, stalk...everything. I've never seen anything like this! Its the same color as a pap's red, if that helps visualize. Is anyone else seeing that with their's?

DR

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ryan,

My "Charisma" has very red scapes, they're identical to "Sweet Lillian", I had a hard time telling mine apart before the bloomed!

Josh

• Echo_of_your_past
    13 years ago

Wow, they are all so breathtaking!!
    Sandra :)

I have a few Charismas....once I learn to post photos individually on this site (without posting my facebook album) I'll add them here.
    Sandra :)

Sponsored
More Discussions