Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few New Zealand pics to share

Posted by bluebonsai101 6a PA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 20, 09 at 20:47

Hi All, I'm just sitting around watching a movie so thought I'd fiddle with pics so I could post a few!!!

This is from the Petrified forest at the south end of the south island where the petrified forest is only visible at low tide:
Petrified Forest, Catlans, NZ

I totally love tree ferns and these were on a walk to one of the falls we saw:
Catlans, NZ

McLean Falls in the Catlans:
McLean Falls, Catlans, NZ

Purakaunui Falls in the Catlans
Purakaunui Falls, Catlans, NZ

Nugget Point:
Nugget Point, NZ

Dunedin Botanical Garden:
Dunedin Botanical Garden

The Southern Alps:
Southern Alps

Me at the Moeraki Boulders:
Moeraki Boulders

And a beautiful Protea at the Christchurch Botanical Garden:
Proteus Christchurch Botanical Garden

If you want to look at any other pics I've posted several on my PhotoBucket site below (I hope) :o) Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Dan's NZ PhotoBucket pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few New Zealand pics to share

Great photography, Dan! I love the Protea, it's just gorgeous.

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 3:37

Stunning photography, Dan! The falls and the ocean shots are fabulous! The Protea is way cool!

I'm constantly amazed at the beauty our planet has to offer... those boulders are fantastic, and the prehistoric look of those tree ferns... oh my!

Thanks for sharing your trip!

o

Fantastic photos of your NZ trip.

Thanks for sharing.

o

Dan,
When did you go to NZ? Did you go to the north Island too or just the south? I went 3 years ago and can't wait to go back!
Kristi

o

Haven't made it there yet. These pics make me wanna go book a flight.
Tally Ho!

o

Dan, great pictures! Did you add much to your "want list" from the Botanical gardens? Those boulders are amazing - look like cookies I just baked, so perfectly round.
Alana

o

Glad you liked the trip through my eyes!! I was not really a tourist in the truest sense since I was there on a William Evans Visiting Fellow award from the Univ, of Otago....had to actually work with my colleague in the lab and visit the south island on weekends, evenings!! I would love to go back and see more, but I had the best of it since I had dinner with my friends every night at their house in Dunedin and got a personalized tour of the points we went to. The country is so beautiful and so diverse.....to be able to drive from the beaches of Christchurch through the southern Alps to the rain forest's of the west coast in a single day is amazing!!

The botanical gardens are stunning and HUGE, but of course. like most botanical gardens most of the plants are imports rather than natives. The plants from South Africa do amazingly well there because of the climates being similar and the wall of Clivia around 100 feet long must be stunning when in full bloom!!

I'll post a couple of more pics for those that did not look at the album:

This is Sandfly Bay so named because the wind blows constantly and keeps the sand in your face!!
Sandfly Bay, NZ

Here are a couple of NZ Sea Lions having a tussle:
NZ Sea Lions tussling at Sandfly Bay

A couple of additional Protea that were blooming at the Dunedin Botanical Garden:
Proteus, Dunedin Botanical Garden

Proteus, Dunedin Botanical Garden

This is a Maori meeting house......you can not enter the grounds unless invited, which of course I was not :o)
Maori meeting house

And for the bird lovers out there here is an awful shot of an Albatross......this is the only place in the world where they nest on an inhabited island so it was worth the trip on a boat around the front side to see them in flight :o) Dan
Albatross

o

• Posted by patann Z5 AnnArborMI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 14:58

A million thanks yous, Dan, for making the shortest day of the year so pleasant. Wonderful of you to share.
Pat

o

That was the hardest thing to get used to while I was there....Nov. 20th until Dec. 16th......the days were soooo long because they are so far south 45 degrees latitude and of course they were heading in to summer........wish we could have long days like that all year :o) Dan

o

Have to add onto Dan's post as the scenery going into autumn in NZ was spectacular! I only did the south Island in March. I didn't focus on the spectacular and unique plant life as I was too busy ooohing and aahing over the scenery!

Here I am in front of the Franz Josef Glacier (it was raining):
Photobucket

And here is the site of my bungie jumping:
Photobucket

A view on our way to the Fox Glacier:
Photobucket

The beautiful blue of a glacier-fed lake:
Photobucket

And...a statue to honor the contribution made to New Zealand by the working sheep dog:
Photobucket

And...my friends herd of deer (they farm them like beef)sorry it's out of focus...they were running:
Photobucket

Mt. Cook from the air:
Photobucket

THEN OVER TO AUSTRALIA (or back to OZ since my trip started there)....and some wildlife:

I think this is a Lorikeet at my pal's birdfeeder:
Photobucket

Two sulfur-crested cockatoos that also visited:
Photobucket

And...me at the Dingo preserve holding one of the tamer pups that they use for education (the owner has several pairs [they mate for life] in hopes of re-introducing them into the wild in an area where they will not interbreed with domestic dogs:
Photobucket

Hope you enjoyed my contribution to the trip to a "far off" place....19 hours by plane, non stop!
Kristi

o

Awesome Kristi!!! I have to say, I kept asking my friend why the deer do not jump the fences (they are way to low to keep them in) and become a pest species like the rabbit, various weasel family members, possum, etc., but they apparently are domesticated enough that they stay put until time to become a meal....go figure.

I really wish I could have gone to Mt. Cook, the tallest mountain there, but just no time with the experiments we were trying to do and it is a rather long drive.....many people go only to see a mountain enveloped in clouds I'm told so it is wonderful to see it from above!!

My oldest daughter is going to do a semester abroad in Brisbane, Aus. in 2011 so we need to make a trip to see her I think :o) Dan

o

Brisbane was great when I was there in '88 for the World Expo (new name for the World's Fair). If you're going...do the east coast starting in Cairnes and work your way down!
:-)
K

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 22, 09 at 10:24

Just incredible, you two! Thanks so much, Kristi and Dan, for sharing your visits! Wonderful scenery... and those Proteas are a little too interesting, Dan! Don't get me started! ;-)

Australia and NZ both have so much to offer... I often wish I could travel! Awe inspiring views... just awesome!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here