Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

A Holiday 'Splash' of 'Papilio'

Well, my Papilio (from Ebay) that bloomed last year and gave me my seedpods has blessed me again with flowers..this time it has 2 stalks one blooming now and the other coming much later. I also have another different plant from a different source that will be blooming for me for the first time also, and I'm hoping that I can cross the two plants and maybe end up with Papilio seedlings..am I correct? And, what do you think about putting Jewel's pollen on Papilio?

Anyway, here is my first set of flowers...

{{gwi:451429}}

and Splash which has huge fragrant..yes.. fragrant flowers..6 buds, only 4 came out at one time though. The flowers are really long lasting and very festive looking. I ignored this one time and time again when I ordered online and stumbled on one in a local nursery, and well you know the rest. I recommend this one and my husband just loves it!

Donna

{{gwi:451430}}

{{gwi:451431}}

Comments (13)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna,

I have two different H. papilio clones that are blooming size and both have been self fertile! I know that some aren't, is that correct?

These are very beautiful pictures, you've captured the true beauty in papilio that many can't, the green hues and beautiful picotee lined edges ;) Wonderful job!

"Splash" is absolutely beautiful! I'm not one for doubles but I had to have this one and the bulb is the largest I've ever seen measuring at 40 cm! I can't wait for the bloom assuming it's correctly labeled :)

Great job Donna, I LOVE viewing your pictures ;)

Josh

• ryan820
    13 years ago

Well I can tell you my Jewel x Pap attempt failed-- didn't try it the other way around.

Great photos BTW-- thanks for sharing.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I can't wait for my Papillo to bloom. I bought it last year from a nursery on line, it was so small. I hope it blooms this year. Barbra

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Greetings Donna,

Your photos are awesome! You are so fortunate to have papilio blooms. Alas, my Splash bulbs are not fragrant.

AND I send you a big thank you for the Rebel x self seeds!!!

Cheers, Blanca

• quail
    13 years ago

Interesting that some "Splash" bulbs are fragrant and some are not. Anyone else have a fragrant "Splash"? If so, may I ask where you got it?
    Donna, I got a Papillio (is it supposed to have one or two l's?). My husband really likes the look of the flowers, and they sound neat to me, too. So I figured it would be fun to have, even if it turns out not to be fragrant. Early Christmas present from my hubby :) (along with a Picotee, too!) Both Papillio and Picotee each have one leaf up so far...
    Michelle

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Congrats to the nice flowers! I love this Papilio!
    Hope, to get some flowers too!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Donna, your Papilio is gorgeous. What a great find it was on eBay! Did you give it a cold rest prior to blooming? Did it ever go dormant? I've got some one year old Papiios that are yet to rebloom so I'm trying different things with it.

Alana

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Everyone..! How luck I am to have this blooming for the Holidays, and with Splash and Jewel to boot!

Alana, no rest for this beauty, she grew outside all summer and put out 9 leaves..I have another scape coming on this plant also and there are 2 bulblets, one of which is quite large. I brought it in this fall and set it in our sunny bay window and have been treating it as a house plant, watering sparingly from the bottom about once a week with a weak fertilizer. And, I have another Papilio plant (from a different eBay seller) that is also sending up a scape... I'm hoping the second plant will be a little different than this one. This plant is huge!! The seedlings are very vigorous from this bulb also....I'm sure when she's finished bloomingshe will rest....

Merry Christmas,

Donna

• quail
    13 years ago

Donna, may I ask where you got your Splash? Was thinking that perhaps I'd be more likely to get one that was fragrant (given that Blanca says hers isn't).
    Thanks, andmerry Christmas all!
    Michelle

Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelle.
    I found my Splash in a nursery, I hadn't intended on buying one as I have lots of reds doubles. But there it was.. a big fat bulb, and well, you know the rest, so glad we bought it, it's been a favorite and the flowers really are quite fragrant and I can't understand why nobody elses are...? There are six buds on the first stalk but only 4 opened at the same time, and the flowers seemed to last quite a long time, but that might be because I had it in a cool bright sunless window while it was,(and still is) blooming. It's very Christmasy, and I will be relieved when it grows some leaves...Hope you can find one, and if not this year, then next year.

Donna

• quail
    13 years ago

Oh, that's right... I remember you mentioning that :) Neat find! I'll definitely have to look for one. And, if it turns out not to be fragrant, perhaps you'll have an offset to share by then :)
    Oh, by the way, my Blossom Peacock is getting closer to blooming. The covering over the buds is in the process of splitting open. And it has four leaves, and the daughter has one leaf!
    Hope your Splash gets some leaves soon, too! And, enjoy that wonderful fragrance some for me too :)
    Michelle

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

wow, that Pap. is a killer! i'm so excited to have 3 on their way! why did you decide not to give it dormancy when you brought it in? when did you begin and stop fertilizing it?

and, watering via the saucer>> did you have problems w/ rot that caused you to adopt this method or is it just a precaution? speaking of wet, have you found a local source for captan? Mahoney's does not sell it! weird huh?

thanks much,
    mindy

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mindy,

When I brought my Papilios inside they were still growing strong and still putting up new leaves..they wanted to grow and even grew one or two more leaves in the house. I just decided to let it do it's own thing, since it showed NO signs of wanting a rest. Last year when I bought the small bulb off of Ebay I had put it in my very sunny bay window and it loved it.. so, I put it in the same place and once again I could tell it just loved it.

When they were outside for the summer (all 3 of my Papilios) they were in 1/2 to 3/4 sun and I watered them from a hose from the top. And since we had the summer from Hell, they dried out right away so I didn't have to worry about rot. When I brought them in (I had read from several people on this forum that they like to be bottom watered) so I wasn't taking any chances on any possible rot and I cut the watering way down, and only gave about 1to 1 1/2 cup still with a dilute amoung of Miracle Grow, just enough to fill the saucer and they sucked it right up..just about once a week depending on how much sun they get. So they were kind of given the choice due to much less water (than when they were outside) to make their own decision as to whether or not they wanted to go dormant. They didn't. I'm sure, (as this plant did last year,)it will loose many of it's leaves after it's through blooming, and then I will probably cut down a bit more on the watering, but will still give it at least a cup a week with out the fertilizer. We'll see what happens. As last year, I'm going to try to pollinate these flowers. I have another stalk coming. I am in awe my the beauty of these flowers.

I have another different plant sending up a stalk also, also from Ebay... and I bought a Papilio a about 6/8 weeks ago from Kennedy's in Scituate and even that is even sending up a flower stalk.!! They had a whole box of them, wonder if there are any left...you might want to take a ride to Scituate.....

Donna

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm