Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hippeastrum striatum var. petiolatum -- Species From Brazil

Posted by joshy46013 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 21:09

Hi Guys,

Here is Hippeastrum striatum var. petiolatum blooming, it was collected in Sao Paulo State, Brazil.

It's very similar to the one Dan (THANKS) sent me last year, I was hoping they'd bloom together so I can cross them but this plant is self fertile.

I will add an entry on my blog which is below. I add entries of all the bulbous species I have bloomed since I started the blog, I add additional information about the plants as well.

www.fortheloveofbulbs.blogspot.com

Hippeastrum striatum var. petiolatum

Hippeastrum striatum var. petiolatum

Here is a link that might be useful: For The Love Of Bulbs -- Josh's Blog of Bulbous Plants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hippeastrum striatum var. petiolatum -- Species From Brazil

Very nice, Josh! I'm off to scope out your blog! :-)

o

That's a beauty Josh, I love her form, very beautiful and so graceful. I'm going to add your blog to Favorites so I can check in now and then..thanks,

Donna

o

Beautiful! Indeed what Donna says: graceful! And I'm going to follow your blog, thank you for the link.

o

That's a First Rate Blog Joshua. Fine work.

o

Pat, that really means a lot to me coming from you, really!

o

Hi Josh, Just goofing around so happened to check in and see this.....I have a ton of these blooming in my basement right now as well as striatum x blossfeldiae so if you have more that are going to bloom and want pollen I can send you some. I do not bother to cross mine for more progeny anymore as I have given away so many seed that I must have saturated the market for this little lady I would think. It is a pretty and very reliable bloomer isn't it :o) Dan

o

Dan,

It's a beautiful flower, I have selfed it as it's self-fertile and produces quite a bit of seed!

This one blooms twice a year at least, it's very beautiful!

I have updated this plant on my blog :)

THANKS DAN, I appreciate the offer.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: For The Love Of Bulbs -- Josh's Blog of Bulbous Plants

o

This looks like a great flower, I would love to have some seeds--Dan, the market is not saturated...

o

Can you post pix of the leaf bases? That is a key to ID for this one.

Thanks.
R.

o

Raydio,

I got this from the Doran collection so I'm sure of its ID. What are you wanting to see on the leaf bases? In lots of sun they have a reddish brown tinge to them. Currently there are no leaves.

o

I'm not questioning the ID.

I want to see the leaf shape-- re: the "petiolatum" designation-- as compared to other striatums' foliage shape. I have striatums that have narrow leaf bases, but not sure how they compare to the petiolatum var. (Which they could be I suppose.)

R.

o

Raydio,

The leaves on this species are quite wide, thick and shorter and have a very "shiny" or glossy appearance. In high light situations they have a red/brown base. I will post pictures once they grow but the best idea will be gotten from pictures during the summer months.

o

To reiterate what Johnsonm08 said "the market is not saturated" I too would love some seeds ;-)

Donna

o

I can wait, Josh.

Thanks.

R.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here