Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

o
Let's Get Acquainted!

Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 17, 09 at 21:29

In recent months, we've had several new members join us here in the Hippeastrum Forum. So we all can learn a little bit about each other, and get acquainted, as it were... I'd like to suggest doing again what Cindee started over a year ago! She began a "Who Are You?" thread, and it was a huge hit! We all had fun and learned a little about our fellow posters!

So... everyone find a photo they don't mind sharing, and in a 100 words or less, tell us a little bit about yourself! What part of the world are you in? What are your hobbies? Tell us about your family and pets! Or anything you'd like to share!

I'll start... although, I don't have current photo as of today, so I'll see about getting one taken.

I'm a 48 year old stepmother of 3, grandmother of 3, married to a fabulous Hippeastrum/Orchid enabler! I live in Central Illinois, in the middle of corn country!

My hobbies include collecting and growing Amaryllids, roses, and gardening of any kind... jewelry design, flower arranging, and consuming chocolate!

My husband and I are semi-retired canine breeders, and we currently have only one pair of Olde Bulldogges, Huck and Maia. Quite a switch from a full yard of over 40 American Bulldogs and Oldies!

I'm a confirmed coffee-holic, and I'm up all hours of the day and night. I have Lupus, and both my husband and myself are partially disabled... he, from an industrial accident, and myself from a fairly recent auto accident.

Life has been filled with ups and downs for us, but one of my main sources of joy is coming here to share my Hippis with my Hippi friends!

Who's next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's Get Acquainted!

GREAT IDEA! At age 62(almost) I remain a busy guy. I'm a bit scattered in interests. Iris, hemerocallis, crinums, and hippies are the big ones.I hybridize with all, and I am truly enamored by the "new" cybisters (Myers, Osselton, etc.). Have a small greenhouse as of this year, and already dreaming of bigger and better.
I live in the Heartland, and was close enough to the OKC bombing to see the leaves fall off the trees. > I still work but hope for early retirement in 2010. I've traveled this continent, but dream of seeing Hawaii, and Guetemala....and Costa Rica...sure why not??>
Despite 2 very major surgeries for cancer (stage 4 at this time) I remain vibrant, hopeful and able to run a mile in 10 minutes!! Long term...yea that's me almost 20 years....you go guy....LOL > Sorry no pic, but I look like Santa minus the beard. Have a Lab. Ret. pup who is now 7 months and a true Marley!! I have had a life of both privelege and hardship, and grateful for every moment in this world, as well as the people who wander in and out of my life. By the way the name Sonador is taken from the movie DREAMER, for indeed I am....God Bless!!

o

Jodi, great thread. I started a thread on another forum while ago like this one. BIG HIT!!!!

I have a grown daughter and a son, 3 grand daughters. Married to a wonderful person but does not share same plant passions as I do.

We live in Sub tropic SW Florida.
We have 3 very talkative parrots named Sunshine, Rainbow and Gator.

My hobbies are collecting Amaryllis, Hoyas, Tropicals, traveling, grand kids & family. Not necessarily in that order. HEHE

I am blessed & fortunate with good health and good friends everywhere.

I am an early riser, go to bed early to rise early.

I really enjoy this forum very much even though I don't contribute whole lot.
Photobucket

o

Great idea! I'm a teen in Texas, who really loves plants. I especially like doubles and have three 'bingo' and an 'aphrodite' among other things. My schools has a garden and we have market stands every week.

o

Hi,

a good opportunity to introduce myself as well. I am from Germany, currently turned 46. I concentrate on Sansevieria, orchids, and recently Hippeastrum, especially the species.

All the best, Helli

o

Hello Everyone!

I've been on this forum for a month and I love it! i'm a fan of hippies, I have around 15 cultivars, that I will show you soon, plenty of them are blooming or will be in the weeks to come!

I'm a busy mom of 3, living in Switzerland! so excuse me for my broken english!

I really enjoy reading your posts and watching your pictures.

Happy holidays to all of you!
Therese

o

Hello all,
I am known both as AJ & Ashley; I am a 25 year old returnee to college. I am taking classes for my masters in speech therapy. I Moved from Arizona to Georgia for my program and lost my garden so I have a potted garden now. I have had a challenging adjustment to gardening in a different climate from Arizona.

I first became interested in Hippies when I purchased a box kit for my preschool class; we all fell in love with the Red Lion that grew. My youngest brother and I are in the picture you see.

I tend to collect hobbies I have and currently dabble in cross stitching, quilting, sewing, stain glass making, hippie and herb gardening, and crocheting. I dont have any pets, I call my plants my pets for now since I have been doing a lot of traveling, and getting any other pets would be difficult for now.

I am now giving my mother amaryllis bulbs and getting her interested in amaryllis. Unfortunately for me my most recent purchase of bulbs made its way to my Arizona address and my mother is trying to convince me that these bulbs are just another Christmas gift for her. :) Ill stop now.

AJ

o

Wonderful meeting all y'all and since I hae already told y'all more about myself that you ever (really) wanted to know, I won' burden y'all again here. My collection of named and species hippies has increased again as my GF in GA sent me 2 bulbs of 'Trentino' as a Christmas present! I also order a replace for 'La Paz' from Easy to Grow Bulbs that should be here today! The last official count was 40, not sure what it is now. That is just the named bulbs as there are 4 community pots of seedling, close to 70 strong not counting any pups the H. striatum seedling has already rolled off! I have some were between 8 and 10 new to the collection bulbs that are either blooming or showing buds and 4-6 more in the basement light garden that are about ready to bring up. I brought 2 or 3 out of cold storage and have potted up 3 new bulbs so far and will be potting up 3 or 4 today.

I can tell you I have been "gardening" for a good 50 years since I do remember growing sweet potatoes in jars as a youngster and even planting one out in the garden (w/help from my Day)when I was perhaps 10 years old. We actually had a very good harvest from that singe water grown vine. Now I only grow the ornamental type Sweet Potato Vines. I have even harvested seeds from the purple leaved variety and will be planting them in the spring (the cutting I had taken died on me).

I am addicted to growing plants from seed or cuttings or both! I also love trying to see what I can hybridize and grow from seeds.

Sorry, no pix of myself and the cat doesn't know how to operate the camera!

Here is a link that might be useful: MT WEIRD ART

o

• Posted by ryan820 z5b Denver, Colorado (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 18, 09 at 10:31

Wow we DO have a lot of new members here!!!! This is great! And good thinking Jodi-- always good to share, especially with the fine people this forum seems to have (and no, I'm not being funny-- I love this place!).

I've been posting here since... oh Lord... sometimes in 2005. Is it really almost 2010?

Anyway, I'm Ryan, I'm 30, I live in Colorado and I'm addicted to plants.... oh... this isn't that kind of meeting ;o)

I focus mainly on hippeastrum but loads of space has been taken up my orchids this past year-- mostly phals. But when I'm not spending the 5 minutes I have for my plants every other day, I'm either at work or...

...taking care of this little girl...and taking loads of photos of her cute little parts...

... because she's growing up so fast and who much like the beautiful blooms we all grow so carefully, she's growing up so fast and needs to be loved an appreciated as much as possible, here...now :o) *single tear*

We spend a lot of time doing things like this... because I am addicted to her laughs and giggles.

Anyway, lots of other things make me who I am but this seems to be the highest points :o)

Merry Christmas all--

Ryan

o

Hi I'm Donna and my husband and I live in a small coastal town in Massachusetts. We live in a fairly thickly settled neighborhood and have 1.5 acres......Filled to the brim with plants. My Husband and I (somewhat) are Rhodoholics (rhododendrons) having around 700 plants, various sizes around the yard. We also belong to a rhody propagating groups that meets once or twice a month in Rhode Island. Great fun! We also do a little amateur hybridizing with rhodys and we along with a small group of rhody enthusiasts hold a yearly auction down at Heritage Plantation on Cape Cod and auction cuttings of many of the rare plants that are growing in the wild woods around Heritage. All the proceeds go to them and we have folks that come from 6/7 states along the eastern coast.

I also love hydrangeas and I propagated close to 100 plants of different varieties this summer and they are all siting in cold frames until next year. I plan to give most of them away and luckily our rhody group will take just about anything. Hydrangeas root like weeds so using the word propagating really doesn't apply.

I have always had about a dozen or so hippies and have just this year really branched out! I think I may have close to 50. My husband is very helpful in moving the heavy pots around since I can't do much with 2 herniated discs in my neck. I used to lug all the heavy trays of rooted rhodys and now all this falls on my husband. Without his help this hobby would be inpossible. I just love all the beautiful flowers it warms one's heart and when I go to sleep at night I see either rhodys, hydrangeas or hippies, depending on the season!

We have a cat that adopted us several months ago and we later found out that he had been abandoned twice(!) in his life. Toby is a very big boy is over 15 pounds and he seems to know that I can't pick him up, he is a lap cat! My husband and I are in love with him! He brings us much joy.

Both of us are new to computers. only a couple of years as you probably guess with my trouble posting pictures!

I love this forum and the people on it! Such a source of encouragement and information.....I guess I can blame you guys for this newest addiction! Well I guess that's enough rambling on and by the way I am 62 and hubby is 65 and the vet thinks Toby is 6-8 years old

Donna

o

I'm a lurker, but will step out just this once! Jodie, I'm in IL, too. Originally from Moline, now in Aurora. I'm 52, kids are grown. So now we have 4 little dogs, 2 cairns and 2 ratties.

We bought our house in 2008 and I'm having fun filling the back yard with roses, clematis, daylilies, liliums, and others. It's a small yard and quickly filling!

Checking out gardening groups, I chanced upon a co-op for amaryllises in 2008. I bought 6. All bloomed; I put them outside for the summer. I bought 6 more this fall. All are still alive and in various stages of growth, dormancy, budding, etc. So I'm here to figure out how to care for them and (maybe) get them to rebloom -- for years to come! ;-)

Judy

o

I am Noni, otherwise known as LizaLily or Liza. Will hit that magical 64th Birthdate in a month, the one where I can access "Senior rates" at many events, LOL. My hubby is thinking of retiring but I am not ready to give up the cut flower business yet that I run with my best friend. We raise all our flowers organically, cut and arrange them and sell them at 3 street corner stands, as well as subscription bouquets and special events floral work, like weddings. I got into Amaryllis when I read that they made good winter cut flowers, and that gives me a good excuse to have as many as I want :-) Now it means I REALLY need that greenhouse or I won't have room to start my annual flower seeds this spring....one thing just leads to another, LOL.

Questors Girls

Here are our two Gordon Setters, Pup Shannie (Xi'an), and Teenager Josephine. They are a constant source of amusement and love to say the least! The little one, Shannie, I co-own with my son and her future is to become an assistance dog for him, to help live independently with the congenital neuromuscular disease he was born with. We adopted him at age 6 and he is a wonderful companion to me now at age 26. He is the tail end of our big family of adopted and home made kids.

This summer our oldest son got married. This pic was taken at the wedding, my son cutting a slice from his cake for me. THe cake was made by youngest daughter and decorated with flowers form my garden.

WEDDING CAKE FOR MOM

o

Hi all, I'm Alana. I've been living in NC for 15 years - part of my southern migration. I really do love the warm weather and hope to make it further south one of these days. I find myself with extra time now that the kids are grown and gone (off the payroll as a friend says) and I like to garden mostly on my deck where the deer can't eat everything, though I do fight them for a few pieces of yard. I work here in Research Triangle Park for a software development company and when I'm not working I'm usually off watching car racing with my family. I'm usually the one taking pictures so there are very few of me alone, so I'll post one of my dog that we adopted from a shelter a few years ago. He had a tough life before he came to us and he's still learning to trust. (That's a muzzle scar you see.) Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a great New Year! Alana

From 09 / 10 hippi season

o

I have been growing amaryllis for 17 years, ever since I got a Candy Cane bulb from my best friend, Michelle.

Peppermint bulb - gift in 1992

Its done well in spite of 25 years of neglect. I have amassed a collection of over 85 named varieties and made numerous crosses last year that I am patiently waiting to mature and bloom. I set up a little greenhouse to overwinter all my bulbs.

Photobucket

I make my crosses very thoughtfully with careful consideration of color and form. I was able to rescue a nearly obsolete antique hybrid Hippeastrum bulb and register it with KAVB this year as "Gordie".

close up of found bulb

I am looking forward to attending the Keukenhof Amaryllis Parade on March 19, 2010. Aside from the hippis I have many other hobbies.

Photobucket

First and foremost are my 2 Gordon setters (that's Stormy and her daughter Laka, who won a Best in Show (Specialty) this year), photography, scuba diving, stained glass, beading, and travel (I have been to all 50 U.S. states, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, South America , Australia , and New Zealand ).

Photobucket

I have just turned 50 and celebrated by going to Cabo San Lucas with my best friend (that's Ende the dolphin [with the rubbed spot on her chin], not Michelle my friend).

Photobucket

I am a medical writer by day (working hard to cure cancer), and a ______ by night (I dont even know what goes there!). Several people in this group are like family to me, as I have no immediate family. I am sensitive and passionate about matters that are important to meand care about living things in general.

Photobucket

Kristi
Spring, TX

o

Hi all!

I'm the "other" Ryan on here. I'm 34 and live in Mesa, Arizona (born and raised here!). Although I'll be making the move into the big city here very shortly, having purchased my first house in Phoenix just two weeks ago!! I lucked out and managed to find a small house on a BIG lot in the center of town. It's a blank slate, just dirt and a few weeds right now, and I can't wait to get started creating my vision for it.

I've been gardening most of my life. My parents gave me a little bit of dirt under the mailbox as a toddler to plant and it's only grown from there!

There really isn't much that I don't grow, or at least "try" to grow... but since we get so darn hot in the summer around here, I'm beginning to dabble in growing stuff indoors in the summer under grow lights. My "season's" are pretty much reverse from most everywhere else in the country. I put my plants outside in the fall and bring stuff in when summer hits!

I'm really into growing edible stuff. I currently grow grapes, nectarines, peaches, plums, apricots, grapefruit, lemon, banana, pomegranate, blueberries, as well as the usual veggies.

I don't have kids of the two-legged variety, but plenty of the four-legged kind... about 8 cats, a dog, a turtle, loads of koi and goldfish, and in about an hour I'm adopting a rabbit (long story!).

Career-wise, I do accounting for about a dozen construction companies here and in Nevada and California.

It's great to see so many new folks here on the forum! I've only been on here for a little over a year now, and truly cherish the wonderful friendships that I have made so far. I look forward to getting to know more of you in the coming year.

Phoenix Ryan

o

This is fantastic, Jodik, I keep wanting to ask questions!

Hello all,

I live in Melbourne, southeast Australia, and moved here from Sydney about 12 years ago. I'm 48, not that numbers matter, and married to a wonderful man who appreciates gardening/plants, but is not really 'into it'.

Gardening has always been a part of life, following mum around to 'help' (what patience she must have had) and helping out when preparing flowers and fruit for market. Hubby and I rented for many years, and carried pots, cuttings and seed from place to place to place until just over six years ago when we bought our first house.

We're about 20km (12 miles) from the city, with a small house on a decent sized block for our suburb. Owning the house - and garden - has been fantastic, and I'm progressing through different 'fads' while exploring the wonderful world of plants. So I have a few collections - and love it! I really enjoy hard-to-find plants and bulbs, especially older varieties and species. My collections include penstemons, liliums, euphorbias, lots of salvias, lots of bulbs and, of course, hippeastrums.

Apart from gardening, I love reading and have in the past also had fun with spinning and knitting, painting, basket weaving - I'll get back to those when time permits.

I take lots of photos but not of me - and I was going to wait until a new masdevallia opened to include that, but it's taking sooo long!

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 19, 09 at 5:14

Wow! I'm impressed with all these great bios! Welcome to our newcomers... and Welcome Back to our regulars! It's so good to "see" everyone... and thanks for participating!

This is me just a few months ago... it's a crummy shot, taken on my husband's camera phone... at the doctor's office, no less!

Photobucket

I was a little fatigued that day... I look so haggard in the picture! The only other recent picture of myself shows me "gesturing" to the photographer, if you know what I mean... so I decided against using that one!

I've been gardening for as long as I can remember, and gardening indoors since I was a young teen. I originally got into Hippeastrum bulbs about 10 years ago, when I just had to have the boxed kit containing the same name as my American Bulldog, Minerva. We called her Minnie, for short. Minnie passed away a couple of years ago, but Minerva the bulb goes on, and was recently separated from her first large offset.

This is the "real" Minerva... Minnie for short... now deceased.
The Real Minerva

And this is Minerva, the bulb that blooms every spring, reminding me of my beloved Bulldog...
Photobucket

A few years ago, I came here to ask a few cultural questions, and the rest, as they say, is history! This is my online "family", and I treasure all the wonderful friendships I've made.

I found Hippeastrums and their culture to be so fun and easy that I began collecting them... and I thank everyone here for their patience and generosity in helping me to become the indoor gardener that I am today! My Amaryllid collection totals well over 75 different varieties and types! I live in a small jungle!

I'm finding this thread to be so very interesting and fun! It's a great opportunity to learn a little bit about all the newcomers, and a wonderful update on the lives of everyone I already "know"!

Rocky Mt. Ryan, those are heartwarming pictures of Daddy's Little Girl... she's just adorable! Any plans for a little brother or sister yet? ;-)

And Phoenix Ryan, I'm so glad you're getting your own little piece of gardening paradise! You must be reeling with all the gardening design possibilities! Great fun!

Kristi, your pictures are always so fabulous... you do have fun! And the always gorgeous Gordie (and Gordies)... I'm so glad you saved this one for posterity!

Lizalily, always a pleasure to see you and your family!

Jan, you look so elegant! I always love your garden photos!

Alana, cute little guy! I know he's happy, and fortunate, to have you in his life!

Donna, it's nice to learn a little more about you!

I'm so glad to "meet" everyone who recently joined us here! Thanks so much for sharing a little bit about yourselves and your lives... it's nice to have a little bit better of a mental picture of who we're all talking to!

Sonador, iluvneps, Helli, Therese, AJ, Rebecca, Judy, and Clancy... it's great to have you join us! And you lurkers, please don't stay hidden in the woodwork! Join us often! We love to hear about and see everyone's lovely bulbs and flowers!

Rebecca, your artwork is fantastic and colorful! Not weird... more abstract! I like it!

Judy, it's nice to hear from someone who understands the strange weather here in Illinois!

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone... but just in case I have... a big Welcome! It's a pleasure to meet you all!

o

I'm Tally otherwise known as Tally HO!, makes it easier to remember and people don't call me Tammy or Cynthia. It's my real name, not short for anything.

I live on Galveston island Texas with my co-gardener. I've been gardening as long as I can remember. I asked for a willow tree for Christmas when I was 5.

Living on a sub-tropical island presents it's own gardening problems, overbearing heat in summer, rare freezes in winter, monsoon rains, droughts, salt spray, constant wind, hurricanes.... I grow mostly tropicals as they can handle the weather, most of the time. Everything is outside, mostly planted in the ground. I drag a few plants in once or twice a year but for the most part they are on their own.

Hurricane Ike flooded our yard with almost 4' of water for 12-48 hours. We evacuated the day before it hit, waves were splashing over the Seawall and streets were flooding at that time. I was the only member of my family to escape flooding in the house, it came 2" from being inside. We couldn't get any news, phone lines were down. My sister saw our cousin being rescued by fire truck on CNN. She had 3' of water in her second story, my Aunt had water to the roof, mom 3' and my brother had 9' in his elevated house. The first news we got showed the Balinese room, Hooters, Murdochs destroyed and then a report the high school behind the house had 4' of water in it. Since we were between these we feared the worse. The city made the situation unbearable by refusing to allow the RESIDENTS back on the island for over 2 weeks. Don't say FEMA to us, its a 4 letter word! The roofers set our house on fire doing repairs from Ike. Everyone I know was displaced. The island is still a big mess. My current hobbies include painting, caulking, waiting on electricians, plumbers, windows, carpenters, etc., installing flooring, scrubbing....LOL!

I'm addicted to plants and collect among others, hippis, crinums, cactus/succulents, weird plants, gingers, brugmansia, pink flowers, vines, palms....OK, I'm just a junkie!! My other 1/2 is into bonsai and anything that attracts butterflies or, well, he's a junkie too. We're both rock groupies having never met a rock we don't like. I met him at a plant swap. We have plants growing everywhere, there is no grass, plants on the roof of the porch, the neighbors porch, the alley....

Tally Ho!

o

Tally, you really need to post some photos of "The House that the Plants Ate"!! email me and let's make arrangements for lunch in the next couple of weeks (Th-Sun)
:-)
Kristi

o

Hi: My name is Linda, a camera shy 57 yr old wife for 33 years a mother of two adult aged childeren. I work full time as a RN nurse. The outside garden is cared for by my husband which is also his job for some clients. My hobbies include some small beadings items knitting and growing indoor flowers. We only have four amaryllis bulbs and a ivy a realy tiny tiny tree and some other kinds of flowering things. I also enjoy reading this forum and seeing the lovley pictures

Thanks for letting me say Hi.

o

Sat, Dec 19, 09 at 23:05

Tally, I've been through the agony of a house fire, too, so I know how devastating that can be... but I couldn't imagine adding a hurricane to that... I do hope your home and lives can get back to normal. I'm sure gardening helps in the grand scheme of things.

Linda, welcome! Please join us more often! We'd love to see photos of your bulbs and other blooms! I'm also a beader! Unfortunately, my eyesight is starting to fail, and working with small Delicas and other seed beads is getting more and more difficult. Luckily, this year's styles include chunky beads and stones!

o

Hi Linda! I'm a RN also, currently working in posion control.

LOL! The house that plants ate! That is a pretty good description of the house. I gotta do the photobucket thing I guess, I just figured out how to get them on facebook.

Jodi, between being laid off <2 weeks before the hurricane, the hurricane, the fire, the plumber flooding the house on Friday...I'm tired of disasters! But it could be worse, noone is being treated for anything right now, my sisters house was on the Dover (DE) homes tour to great reveiws, mom is hyped up on steroids and cooking up a storm-yeah fudge!!!, my brother DOESN'T have a brain tumor, we all have jobs, the other brother gets to move back to his house.. The sun is out! AND WE HAVE HEAT IN THE DOWNSTAIRS!!! I'm so excited about the heater. The amaryllis are blooming.

It's all good.
Have a great day everyone!
Tally HO!

o

This has been a great thread to read I must admit!! While I do not have a lot of Hippeastrum, I do enjoy seeing everyone's pics of their incredibly well-grown plants!!

As some of you know I'm Dan, am 48 now ( I remember when I thought that was ancient) and have lived outside of Pittsburgh, PA in Gibsonia for the past 14.5 years.

I guess I first became interested in plants when young and saw some bonsai at the local nursery where I grew up in Vandercook Lake, Michigan. I tried to grow one then with my dads help, but failed of course!! I also grew a small veggie garden then even though I hated veggies...the rest of the family liked them and I liked growing them. I still have a couple of bonsai, but mostly grow Amaryllids (although very few Hippeastrum), Hyacinths (Ledebouria, Drimiopsis, etc from South Africa), aroids (Amorphophallus, Arisaema, Dracontium) and some caudiciforms from various places around the world. My incredibly lovely wife, Cathy puts up with my nonsense with a sense of humor when I bring up a plant to show off that she has no clue why I like it :o) I'm guessing I have 500+ pots in my ceramic garden, which I'm told is excessive, but everyone here can understand :o)

I have been very blessed to have 3 lovely children, now 19 (Caitlin), 16 (Emily) and 12 (Daniel) as well as 2 cats and 2 tortoise. My job as a professor has allowed me to travel a reasonable amount to prattle on about my research and the family has been able to come on many of these trips which makes everything more worthwhile as everyone here has indicated :o)

This pic is a couple of years old now, but hey, when you get to middle age you want to shave a couple of years :o)
Ulmus sp.

o

Sun, Dec 20, 09 at 13:36

Wow, Dan! What a great looking picture! And you don't look so bad in it, yourself! ;-)

I'm sure I've told you, but you're the main reason I got interested in Amaryllids other than Hybrid Hippis! And no, your collection is not excessive! Mine isn't quite that large yet, but I'm working on it! My family thinks I'm nuts, too... but they not only put up with me, they enable me!

This is turning out to be another great "Who Are You" thread! Thank you to everyone participating! :-)

Tally, I often remind myself that somewhere, someone has it so much worse than I do... and I'm grateful for what I DO have... my great family, my wonderful friends, my canine companions, and the ability to garden and enjoy Mother Nature. I am fortunate, indeed!

o

Tally, it's amazing you are able to remain in good spirits with all you've dealt with recently!! I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that 2010 is much more calm and relaxed year for you!!

Jodi, great to finally put a face to wonderful words of advice you provide on this forum! Great idea to start this thread so we can all get to know each other better. And you are quite right, I've got so many ideas for my new yard, I have no idea where to start. But I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Dan, that bonsai is absolutely gorgeous!! Wow!

Thanks to everyone who has shared so far. Can't wait to read more.

Phoenix Ryan

o

I'll tell you, with all the great posts here I've almost convinced myself to get a few of the cybister hybrids.....I actually tried to buy a 'Chico' 3 years ago and it ended up being who knows what which put me off again.....maybe next year!!

It is always fun to hear about others experiences/lives so that you know who people are when they post......and if it enables others then all the better!!

I've had that elm bonsai for around 16 years now....collected in B'ham, AL when I was a member of the bonsai club there....no branches and no roots.....it wanted to live and I hopefully helped it along its path to survival :o) Dan

o

I am a 66 year old mother of 4, grandma to 4 and great-grandma to 1. Divorced many years ago, I raised the kids alone. This is me with my great-granddaughter
Photobucket
Although, I always had a few houseplants, it wasn't until I retired that I really started gardening seriously. I took the Master Gardener course at my local extension office and met lots of people with similar interests. I garden outside as much as my physical health allows.
Photobucket
I also enyoy photography, reading,crocheting, and lurking on this forum. I have one cat, around 16-17 years old. She was a stray who adopted me, so her age is only a guess.
Photobucket
I've had her since 1994.
It is great to meet all of you from whom I have learned so much this past year. Happy Holidays to everyone.
Bev

o

There's no greater feeling than when a cat crosses your path and decides you are trainable and that they'll stick around a while ;-). Great to get to know you Bev!

As they say... "Lord, grant me the strength to be the kind of person my dog THINKS I am, and my cat WANTS me to be!"

o

Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 4:16

I agree... it's wonderful to put faces to names, so we can see who shares our hobbies and passions! I've learned a lot from all of you, as well!

Isn't it funny how our pets choose us sometimes, and not the other way around? Out of her entire litter, Maia was the one to choose me! I didn't have a choice... I had to keep her! And the funny thing is, she chose me extremely early on, when she was very, very little!

Great cats, people! I so wish I weren't allergic! We have barn cats, though... so I do get to interact, as long as I wash my hands and don't touch my face! I'd be an itchy mess of hives, otherwise!

Bev, your garden shot is beautiful! A great-grandma... wow! That's so great!

Dan, I have a feeling you could turn any pathetic plant into a beauty! That bonsai is gorgeous! And huge... how do you move it around?

Ryan, working from a blank slate can be both daunting and tremendously fun! I'd begin by choosing a general style or feeling... and let the garden evolve from there. A word of advice, and I'm sure you already know... invest the work to properly dig and amend your soil... you'll be glad you did! And get a compost bin/pile started as quick as possible! :-)

This is one of my favorite garden shots, taken last May...
May 10-17

It'll look different next spring... I moved the birdbath and put in a rose... Betty Prior, to be exact! I can't wait to see how it looks next year!

Thank you, all... this is loads of fun! I love learning more about my fellow Hippi lovers than just what Hippis they have!

o

Dan! How are you? I got a mix for aroids from you, they loved it and by the time they went dormant it had broken down to a thick rich black compost the other plants loved. Unfortunately none of them survived Ike. I need to get with you about getting a few. Have you ordered from overseas lately? VERY nice bonsai.

This is a lot of fun!

I tease Jodi about her mix and I'm eating sticks and twigs for breakfast. Go Lean Honey almond flax crunch. I swear it's the same stuff I use for kindling. I am SOOOO jealous of her iris in that picture. I could almost live in the frozen north land to grow iris.

BTW Jodi have you seen Hardwired? OMG!! We watched it last night. You have got to rent it if you haven't. Corporations run America.

Cute baby Bev, what ferry are you on? Love the garden it's gorgeous.

When people mope and moan around me I just laugh and say, let me tell you what happened THIS week! You can't just lay around and feel sorry for yourself that gets you nowhere. The fire was just another blip in the road. Eventually the house will be finished and look great, it didn't burn down and we have HEAT!! I'm a real weenie when it comes to temperatures. I left Skagway Alaska when mom was in the wreck and it was 33, landed in Houston 114. I prefer Houston. My mom is almost always in a good mood and happy so that has to be where it comes from.

Tally HO!
"I'm not really happy, it's a chemical imbalance"

o

Ryan, I think my Kitty has me trained--my kids think I have her spoiled! We get along just great. She is part Siamese with big blue eyes and a sweet temperament.

Tally, the Ferry is on Mobile Bay, going from east to west. I live in Mobile so I am intimately acquainted with the hurricanes. Ivan hit us pretty hard several years ago.
I love your quote I'm not really happy, it's a chemical imbalance" and my garden helps keep me balanced!

Photobucket

Jodi, I don't feel like a Great-grandma, although if I had to take care of her for any length of time, I'm sure I would. They are in California, so not many chances.

I have enjoyed this thread and getting to know all of you.
Bev

o

Didn't Camille come into Mobile bay back in the 60's? At least we don't have to deal with feet of snow every year. Ivan was the terrible wasn't he?
Tally Ho!

o

Tally,

I was a very little girl during those times. We lived between two rivers and by the bay in what used to be wetlands.

Camille was forecasted to come into Mobile Bay. Due to where we lived, we always evacuated for hurricanes, so we were safe. However, my Dad was a shrimper. He took his shrimp boat to Mississippi to ride the storm out.

Camille hit Mississippi hard. We worried that my Dad did not survive. Later, he told us stories about how he tied his shrimp boat to pine trees on both sides of a small river and ran the engines as hard as they would go. He and the boat made it through that hurricane.

During Hurricane Frederick, my Dad once again decided to ride it out. He with his shrimp boat and my uncle with his. Frederick was weird. The bay flooded, the boats over what is normally land, then the water was sucked out of the bay. Both boats were left high and dry on land. It took some time for us to be able to return home to check on them. Such relief, you will never know when we spotted our cousin on the little dirt road and he yelled, "We're okay! We are alive."

After that experience, my Dad said that he would never do that again. Indeed, during the next hurricane, he evacuated to my new home which was safe from flooding waters and a whole lot better than living in a hotel with many families stuck in a small room listening to the pounding and the howling of winds, wondering what would be left when everyone returned home.

No one really knows what they can be like, unless you have lived a lifetime doing your best to survive them.

Ann

o

We weren't going to leave for Ike, the city didn't issue an evacuation, our mayor went on TV and said to "hunker down". It was forecast to make landfall as a 2, then as a 5, then a 2, you know the drill. But it kept getting bigger and bigger, water was coming over the Seawall, my brother had water in his yard on Monday. We left Thursday around 2100. The west end was already flooded. Good thing we did leave. My brother would have stayed at his house and they would have had to ride out the storm in the attic with the cats. Mom had just had another surgery and would have been at her house with 3' of water. We would have lost the vehicles. I vowed after Hurricane Alicia never to stay again. The couch slid from one side of the lr to the other with me sitting on it! But after the disaster of evacuating for Rita we swore never to leave again. The city issued an evacuation order at noon on Thursday. That was too late for many. I lost several friends that lived in Bolivar. That place was flattened.

My Uncle used to ride out every storm in his shrimp boat. In Carla he ended up on shore in North Galveston bay. Noone rode out the storm to my knowledge here on the boats, that area was very hard hit, several boats were sunk, some thrown up on land and a couple smashed to bits. Boats were everywhere when we got back, the highway was lined with them. That and dead animals everywhere, there were about 20-30 dead cows around the UTMB campus and there was a dead horse, cow and pig on East beach that finally rotted away.

Hopefully we will never have to go through such a bad storm again in our lives. Our population is down by 30-50% depending on who you talk to and more leaving every day.
Tally HO!

o

Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 12:28

I always wish I lived in a warmer climate, but even though we have some frigid winters, we don't have the natural disasters that befall the southern coastal states, or the earthquakes that befall the west.

Tornadoes are the only real disaster to hit this area, and the odds of being in the immediate path of one are odds I can live with. Cold weather is good in many ways... it kills viruses and bacterias, culls the weak and sick in the wild, and we do have many plants that need a cold dormancy in order to bloom.

We watch the News in helpless horror as hurricanes make landfall, and though we gather items to send south in the aftermath, it never seems like enough.

I might be considered a tough country gal up here in rural farmland, but I have to give a lot of credit to southerners... you guys and gals sure know how to ride out Mother Nature's wrath, and keep those smiles! That takes a lot of gumption!

Tally, I recently watched "FOOD, Inc." ... not to be missed! The same message comes through loud and clear... America is run by corporations... he who has the most money runs the government, and the men and women who used to be called Statesmen are now just puppet politicians. Greed for money and power has taken over everything.

My Mom used to eat those "sticks and stones" breakfast cereals... like Grape Nuts... until she really read the labels and figured out they weren't so good for you, after all! Tally, I know you tease me about my "sticks and stones" mediums, but don't knock it till you've tried it! :-) I swear, they really work! And I'm pretty sure we could find a mixture for you, too! :-)

Bev, I always say that age is just a number... but some days, I feel really high up in those numbers! I'm a 48 year young Grandma, with tattoos and piercings... I'll never fit the norm, anyway!

Keep it going... this is great! :-)

o

Hi there,

I'm also mostly a lurker here on this forum, and have mostly the commonly found hippies in my small collection. I'm very appreciative of how generous everyone is here. I'm 56, and have done lots of gardening in lots of places having grown up in Ohio, lived in Denver, Tempe AZ, Buffalo NY, Spokane WA, Flagstaff AZ, San Diego CA, and now Spearfish SD. So I really like to hear what people are doing in places all over the map. Here I am canoeing for my 25th anniversary.

Indoors I have cacti, some african violets (Did you know that the world's teeny-tiniest amount of african violet seed can turn into 45 violets in a short time? My astonishment at this happening is where my screen name came from) I have mostly things that bloom in the house that can put up with is being cool and dry, and things that can rest in the winter inside like calla lillies. I have three vegetable gardens, some fruit trees, raspberries, and flowers around the front of the house. I have a xeri garden out on the corner boulevard.

And here is the only thing that grows outside here that is anything like an amaryllis. They were growing under the lilacs and never bloomed, so I moved them out into the sun and two years later here is what I got:

The encouragement, information, and general good cheer is like a tonic. Thanks everyone.

Barb

o
RE: Let's Get More Acquainted!

Oh--I forgot to mention that I volunteer at the local shelter, so I really appreciate all the photos of people's animals. I have two dogs from the shelter, and mostly volunteer in the cattery as my husband is allergic and I can get my cat fix that way.

Barb

o

Me!
Look it's me!! The day after I cut off all my hair. We're on the garden tour. The pink is extensions for breast cancer, I did everything I could that month for cancer, hair to locks of love.
Kashi is good stuff. But I do think you could use it in your medium! I can't really knock mediums, I grow everything in sand, you can build a sandcastle in the backyard.

We lived in Kansas when I was a kid, drought, heat, blizzards, tornadoes-1 hit the house in the country, one jumped the house in town, school was destroyed, Kansas is prime tornado country. I can't handle cold weather. I like heat, lots and lots of heat. Like a lizard.
Tally HO!

o

Jodi, I try to count my blessings every day. I am so thankful for my good health - never had a major illness or involved in a serious accident. Now there are just the usual complaints with an aging body. I guess you could say, I am in the "norm" category if there actually is one. I have no tatoos or piercings (only my ears)!
Barb, I, too, have lived in several states, but my gardening was put on hold til I retired. Now there are so many different areas I am interested in: hippies, orchids, sanseverias, some succulents and in the Spring I am continuing to build on the butterfly garden I've started.
Photobucket
Bev

o

Howdy y'all. Patrick here. Photo from last year eating shave ice near Kona.

Photobucket

After retiring from US Navy Deep Sea Diving, I now work and live just south of Houston Texas where I wear a lot of hats working for a small, aggregates type, company.

"bluebonsai" (Dan) and I seem to grow a lot of the same stuff. Trying to downsize my collection, I think the snow and freeze helped with that :O
54, Divorced, 2 college kids, 1(scaredy cat) guard cat.

o

It is so nice to put faces with the names.
Love everyone's photos!!!

o

Lots of fantastic pics of everyone's garden beds......makes me wish it was summer again!!

Jodi, you may have noticed the guy next to that bonsai is pretty good size.....he can lift it with an incredible amount of effort, but not for many more years I'm sure!!

Tally, what are you looking for in terms of aroids? I haven't imported any aroids from overseas for quite some time and after many years many of mine decided my climate stunk......I could have told them that a long time ago!! If you would like some good ol' Am. konjac or Sauromatum venosum or some offsets of Am. albus I always have lots of those....just send me a note!! I still have many others, but they rarely if ever offset in my zone with the short seasons.

There are many times I wished I lived in a more hospitable climate, but I must admit, the one thing we do not have is any really serious weather.....rarely tornadoes, too far from anywhere wet to have hurricanes, and we do not get the snow that many on the east coast or further north in the lake effect zone get......of course, our outdoor growing season is about 3-4 months long which is a bummer!

Pat, I envy your ability to grow so many spectacular plants outside.....that would be awesome....except for the heat and humidity of course :o)

Kristi, that swim with the dolphin must have been awesome.

Such a complete measure to meet you all :o) Dan

o

Hey y'all! :)

I'm Katherine, known as Kate (which rhymes with "late" as well as describes my post on this thread). I'm 21 (whoo!) and I go to college at Spring Hill, the Jesuit College of the South :). I am an Accounting major, Finance minor and I'll graduate In May then it's off to grad school at home (Chattanooga, TN). Plants (bamboo, to orchids (phals), to hippies) are my most recent obsession. I LOVE making jewelry (NOT making "beads" as some say) out of Swarovski crystal beads. I also crochet and scrapbook when I have time.

I also... am a night owl ...love reading anything I can put my hands on... have really weird pet peeves (shoes on furniture, people who can't drive, reindeer antlers and a nose on cars)... am a noncompetitive gymnast (once a gymnast, always a gymnast)... LOVE the Olympics, as well as sweet tea and Country music (c'mon, what's better than a good ol' down home song from the heart with a little banjo pickin'? haha)

I have quite a few hippies now...
2 Red Lions (both rescued)
1 Apple Blossom (rescued)
1 "Unknown" (hasn't bloomed yet)
1 Supposed Piquant (we'll soon find out)
2 Seeds with leaves
10 Seeds that will hopefully join in growing leaves

Also...
2 Phals (dunno the types yet, I'm working on it...)
2 Lucky Bamboo stalks
4 Bulbs of Paperwhites that should get growing here soon
?? Alyssum seeds that are growing like CRAZY
5 Spruce seeds that are working on growing

o

Hallo!

I'm Carl, native to the Ruhr Area, the big megalopolis of Central Europe, now studying in the more rural North-East Germany.
Things work a little different here on a university compared to the States, my field of study is landscapeecology and I really began to get interested in plants with my first botany lectures. I've always had some plants but left most of the work in the garden to my father, now I regret this a bit.
I am going to have a small allotment together with a couple of friends in my university town. My main interest are still Hippeastrum and especially breeding with them.
I have seedlings from may 2007 that hopefully are ready to bloom when they get out of the cellar in January, more seedlings from this year will hopefully withstand the care of my flatmate who looks after them for the winterholidays.

Apart from that I don't have much to tell, music is another big interest of mine. I usually like strange and for most people straining tunes. And for me music needs to be fast and out of the common. ;)

o

Ike knocked out power in Ohio for almost 3 weeks and killed people all the way to Canada. You are never too far for a hurricane. A huge hurricane hit the New York area in the 30's I think.

Pat do you ever come our plant trades? Mercer or Galveston county? If not you should. It's a lot of fun. Mercer is twice a year and Galveston County is in the spring. Yadda organizes a Ft.Bend trade late summer.

Dan, all my aroids died. I was really surprised. A lot of the konjacs, etc. were in the ground. They were just about to go dormant. All the ee's and philos died also. But the amorphs really surprised me, I thought the bulbs underground would do fine, the hippis did and most other bulbs survived. But we were just surprised as to what did survive. Every norfolk pine on the island made it, they didn't fall over, lose branches or have any damage.

betonklatz my musical taste has always been loud, heavy and fast. Headbanger stuff. Never was a fan of Karen Carpenter or that genre of music. That and good 'ole Texas music like Delbert McClinton, I'll howl along with it.

It ain't the heat, it's the heat AND the humidity. Ya gotta be part lizard to live in this area. Which explains fur coats in 60 degree weather.

Tally HO!

o

Hello (beachplant) Tally several years of being an RN has bought me to many places, worst part was working with addictions best part delivery rooms. Thank you for your contributions to our very demanding field.
Me on the forum
My Amaryllis will be opening very very soon so I have to figure our how to add pics and get some new ones for next spring. As it is there are lovley gardens in here your all nice people for making the room for them in here. Most of my time was spent staring at the dwarf tree and glancing at that handsom man beside it, I am glad you stay in good shape you look just like the dwarf tree, very healthy and in great shape. There is no doubt I do like dogs I use to call my husband " the pit bull" as he knows his master well enough now I need to call him something different, he talks with his eyes alot a habit from recon.

I hope our seasons "As I see it." Helps you to get to know me a little bit better.
Our summer: You're not going to beat the Cape. You'll be lucky if you can even book a room. I recommend you try not getting to lost in there many beach front views only to end up driving past there very many and very colorful Hydrangeas trying to find that room, cause the bed and breakfast places often have real good food.
For autumn the state of Mass doesn't even rate second best when it comes to outdoor leafy colors we are a wee bit shy of second best. I won't be saying where the better of them are though, I do have a pretty good idea of where number one is. We have a two hour more or less head start on the quick driving Cape Cod departing seasons traffic as they do empty out quite quickly not all my little secrets are going to be shared.
I don't dislike our cold and snowy winters. The added charm of white laying on the pines while holding the branches down as the red colored bird tries to eat the ice in the bath after snacking on the hips. The sounds of the children that go sliding down the freshest hills of snow, the ducks that can't really skate while stumbling acrost the pond. I think we can call a tie for first place in snow. I will wave a white flag and I do hope they see it and hands for the Rocky Mountain areas expressing my final thought. "You guys can keep it as deep as you want it and as long as you want it. " Which only brings us back to spring which is in some of the pictures in there own lovley way.
We as neighbors, Take turns with the vases as we bring them to church we try to look out for each other in our own formal way. Yes we do paaahhhk dah caaahhh in HHaaavaad Eyaaaad cause we don't like to drive in Wooosssttaaahhh

Re-spell: We park the car in Harvard Yard cause we don't like to drive in Worcester <<< it's kind of important to say this right if your ever lost on the cape and is also my sence of humor.
God Bless you all
Linda

o

Ackkkk....electricity is in and out. I was trying to search for Cindee's post of "Who are you?" but can't find it. If anybody get's lucky to get it, can you please post a link of it here?

Save the oldies like me (LOL) from posting pics again. Thanks!

Anyway, this is the "latest of me". My first grandbaby,
Summer Carlyle
Photobucket

o

I've been a nurse for almost 29 years now. Started out at Shriners burns, then to UTMB SICU with lots of rotation to the BICU/PACU/NICU/ER then went to OR (mostly burns). Moved to Hawaii and worked the OR there. Came back to Texas and did agency nursing bouncing between OR, ICU, PACU, ENDO, ER, floors...no L&D or nursery. Went to pain management, loved it, got laid off-consultant said hire LVN they are cheaper, went back to poison control. Worked on a cruise ship in Alaska for a summer. Had a job with Silversea Cruise line but my mom was in a bad wreck so I came home instead. Usually if I'm your nurse it's not a good thing! You're probably gonna make it through my shift but you are in a bad way or I wouldn't be your nurse, I always got assigned the sickest of the sick. Trauma was my forte. Blood and guts. I'm still not used to being on the phone all the time. Or having patients TALK! LOL!
Tally HO!

o

• Posted by patann Z5 AnnArborMI (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 22, 09 at 21:44

Oh, Maria. How very precous. I wish I could have one of those! There are two great names for your next two hippes: Summer and Carlyle.
pat

o

Maria, Your prescious little one gives me a severe case of Grandmother envy!

o

Oh Maria- what a lovely grandbaby!
Thanks all for such nice info and pics! I have pics of flowers and rarely download them and NEVER do so for myself, I'll have to change that maybe.

I'm Sally, 44yrs (don't consider myself old one bit!) I have worked with the elderly for sometime and don't truly think you're old 'til 90. (and then you deserve to be prideful over it!) I'm a nursing student (listening to all you RNs) grew up on a farm 10 miles from the Canadian border, and currently reside in the city. I garden inside all winter and outside all summer.

Right now I'm on break which is lovely, although I work too. For some reason my hippies which are sposed to be sleeping are putting up scapes! I put mine into dormancy in order to have space. I do have a slew of hippie babies, some quite large which I am growing under lights.

I started growing hippies seriously in 2004-2005 (my winter lable) and pollinated/planted in 2005-2006. Last spring I got my first blooms from pretty unimpressive crosses- excellent nonetheless! I have a huge space problem, and I have alot of plants! I put my hippies outside all summer and always get blooms on my old plants. I am lucky not to have the nasty bulb fly here (yet!). I do have problems with the microscopic tarsonomid(sp?)mite and neem and imidacloprid made no diff. I intend to experiment with hot water baths over my school break as a harmless method (I hope) of eradication. Kristie was kind enough to give me tips and I will share successes and failures here.

My boyfriend and I have 4 cats between the 2 of us. I love everyone's animals and kid-pics! Isn't Rocky Mountain Ryan's baby just adorable too!!

Oh- I live in Mn and am soooo jealous of those who live in the south for their gardens. I have always liked the north woods and the isolation, but I'm seriously thinking the south would be the place to garden!

o

Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 4:34

Insomnia strikes once again... a good chance to catch up here, and maybe add a little more about my life.

First... Maria, Summer is awesome! What a sweetheart! Being a Grandma is the best! :-)

I'm so glad to "meet" you all! And I'm really having a great time reading the updates and afterthoughts! Thank you for expounding on initial posts!

Although I haven't had a chance to travel outside the US much, I've been very fortunate to see most of the 48 contiguous States as a semi co-driver... My ex-husband and I were owner-operators, and I saw the USofA through the window of a big rig! And what a country it is! We have the best of everything within our borders, including mountains' majesty complete with icy winter roads... huge cities with the tallest buildings and the worst traffic... relaxing beaches, painted deserts, amber waves of grain in fields as far as the eye can see... and every other vista one can imagine!

The advent of the internet brought the world a little closer together... made it a little smaller... and now I have friends all over the globe... including Germany, Viet Nam, Australia, Canada, Great Britain, and other beautiful places! I would love to visit many of those places some day!

Tally, you and I have more in common than I would have guessed... I love your pink locks! I have blue, hot pink, and red hair dyes just waiting to be tried out!

My musical tastes run the gamut from heavy metal to rap, and I love the blues... my favorite music is the 80's Hair Rock... you know the stuff... Def Leppard, Guns & Roses, etc... I'm listening to "Staind" as we speak... I love my Ipod! And I love that my son filled it with such great music for me!

Pat, that's a great picture... you remind me of Sam Elliot, one of my favorite actors! My ex was Navy... USS Truxton, WestPac during the early 80's.

I've done so much within my lifetime... from milking cows on a dairy farm to directing traffic as an auxiliary Police Officer, and a little bit of everything in between! It's been a helluva ride! I was born in small town USA, lived in the big city for a short time, and came back to the country! I love the slower pace, the wide open spaces, and the opportunity to have the animals and gardens I love.

My life's biggest challenge has been raising three stepchildren... and what a rewarding challenge it was/is! Not right away, mind you... those rewards didn't come until the kids were grown and began having children of their own!

This is my favorite "Grandma" picture... me and Bryce, my daughter's son, taken a couple of years ago... I just love spoiling the little ones, and what better way than with a little yummy chocolate!
Yum!

Besides the current litter of pups, we have just the two Oldies, Maia and Huck... the days of a large yard filled with American Bulldogs and Olde Bulldogges totaling over 40 are over. Sometimes, it's good to be retired... and here I am, retired, and taking care of a huge kennel filled with Rhodesian Ridgebacks! It's part of our rental agreement.

I'm actually very fortunate to live where I do... after the house fire, we ran into a lot of red tape and BS, and lack of enough funds, preventing us from rebuilding... and so, we took up an invitation from a very old and dear friend to come move in and be caretakers of a large country estate.

There are horses, goats, peacocks, ducks, chickens, dogs, cats, a kennel and barn, and a separate hunting lodge overlooking a large creek. We occupy the upper floor of the main house... a one-room apartment with four large window alcoves and cathedral ceilings. We have a partial kitchen, and access to all the downstairs amenities.

I take care of the kennel and do all the gardening/yard work, and Larry keeps all the electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and technological items in good working order. It's a great situation for a partially disabled couple.

On days when I have trouble getting out of bed, and I'm feeling sorry for myself, I just think of the fact that under different circumstances, we could be homeless. Without our wonderful circle of steadfast friends and family, we could be just another statistic.

And then, my thoughts turn to all the wonderful, generous friends I've made right here, in this Forum. Without the encouragement and generosity of so many, I wouldn't have become such an accomplished indoor gardener, and I wouldn't have the fabulous collection of bulbs and friendship plants that I cherish so much!

Yep... my life has definitely been Blessed... I am fortunate, indeed!

You'll forgive my rambling, please... insomnia is one of those things that gives the mind time to wander... I hope I haven't wandered too far! :-)

o

I am a 56 year old history professor and have been growing amaryllis for about 26 years but our 1/4 acre west coast garden with red cedar, ferns, hosta & rhododendrons take up most of my wife's and my gardening time.

Photobucket">

We wish that our grand daughter took up more of our time but she lives across the country in Toronto. We do fly there as often as we can (we're leaving for there in less than 48 hours!) but....

Abby

Abigail">

Back to amaryllis. I have approximately 20; grown mostly under lights in our basement but I am doing some in the greenhouse now as well.

My collection includes an old Orange Sovereign bulb that started it all 26 years ago when a student in the first class I ever taught gave it to me. My collection is not very exotic: Red Lion, Apple blossom, Giraffe, Orange Sovereign, Picassa and several unamed white varieties from supermarkets. The collection is growing, however, and currently I am looking for the darkest red variety that I can find.

One thing that I enjoy is giving to family and friends the same potted bulb every year, just as the flower scape is starting to emerge, and then taking it back to care for it after flowering, getting it ready to return again in winter. I do that with about 6 now and people really seem to look forward to getting their amaryllis every year. In one case it has happened for nearly 10 years.

I have enjoyed lurking on this forum, learning a great deal and occasionaly contributing a question. Thankyou to the generous contributors such as Jodi & Maria. BTW, I recall reading long, helpful contributions from a man in Germany. Was his name Hans? Anybody know what happened to him?

Bob

o

Thank you all! This precious little one is looking like she's going to have a "Fussy First Christmas". Currently teething and just had her shots today. Ughhhh!!! I can't stand those needles being poked into those tiny legs. Can't wait to see her rip out her first Christmas gift's wrapper and then taste em'. LOL!!! Precious...

Nice meeting you all and I wish you all the joy of the season and a blessed 2010!!!

o

I remember who you are talking about. I haven't seen him posting for awhile. It might have been Hans.

Nursing is a different profession. There are a lot of rewards and a lot of just plain stupid crap involved. It's a 24 hour profession with little regard to your personnal life. The administrators always talk a good talk with "magnet hospitals" etc etc. but the fact is as a nurse you work your posterior off, get little respect, OK salary and you give up a lot. On the other hand you always have a job and blood doesn't bother you.

My hairdresser, that sounds so funny coming from me!, put the extensions in when she cut my hair. First haircut in over 12 years. Usually the stuff is lucky it's been brushed and is pulled back in a ponytail.

Tally HO!
Tally HO!

o

Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 17:43

Welcome, Bob! I'm really interested in the "gift that keeps on giving" idea! I could do that for my daughters (in-law)! That's a great idea for people who like flowers, but might be too busy, or just not the gardening type.

Tally, my husband has been my hairdresser for as long as I've known him! He does all the coloring, but I do go into town to get it cut. There are a lot of thankless jobs out there, and I think one of the biggest is Nurse. Mom would be right up there, too!

There's nothing quite like a baby's first Christmas... your family will have so much fun, Maria! In our family, Christmas is for the children... they're the ones who get all the gifts... we don't buy anything big or extravagant for the adults... just for the little ones!

I do believe you mean Hans... he hasn't posted in quite a while. I miss seeing all his seedlings and his pretty flowers! He's quite knowledgeable, and I always read his posts, learning a little more. I hope I didn't chase him away with the way I tend to ramble!

A Happy Christmas to All!

o

What a great idea, Jodi. Ive really enjoyed reading this thread.

Ryan in Phoenix, congratulations on your new home. How exciting! After seeing the Maguries order spreadsheet, I had a feeling you were an accountant.

My name is Jennifer. Im a 37 year old house wife whos hoping to start a family soon. (Why did we wait so long!?) Before staying home, I did internet development and data maintenance work for a law firm then a publishing company. I grew up in the country with livestock and learned to garden from my grandmother who lived next door.

For years, I was a typical amaryllis consumer who tossed bulbs onto the compost pile after blooming. A co-worker suggested I try to re-bloom two Apple Blossom. Last year I posted the pictures here because I didnt know their ID, developed a bad case of chad, and now Im one of you. Current bulb count is 12 (with more loaded on Santas sleigh).

Im fortunate to be married to an adorable, easy going, extremely handy and hardworking gentleman. We live in west Cleveland, in a neighborhood with many Arab businesses and neighbors. Since October, Ive been studying Arabic and can write/recite the alphabet and carry on simple conversations. Our lot is frustratingly small but it has improved my container gardening skills. This summer, I picked up freelance landscape work by volunteering to maintain two flower beds at a busy intersection near my home. People began asking for business cards. Im blessed with a sunroom, currently filled with brugmansia, peppers, lisianthus and amaryllis. There are dormant fig trees in the attic.

Heres our Boxer, Panda - an 8 yr. old walk-a-holic who shows no signs of slowing down. She enjoys getting my goad by hurdling seedlings that are being hardened off and pretending to eat house plants.

Below is my dear husband and myself vacationing in Snowshoe, WV. Wed like to buy land in WV (somewhere quiet and pitch dark) where we can leave our newly refurbished camper which is currently taking up precious container garden space.

Just a few of my favorite garden pics

Hope all of you have a very blessed new year!

o

Jennifer, Love your planted pots! THe one with the silver and white is wonderful!

INteresting to see how many of us have an adored doggy who must be shared in pics too (She said, with her laptop on top of a Gordon Setter sleeping in her lap!) Something about growing things as our companions!

o

Great to meet you all...and Jennifer, love the dog, although I don't know what "hurdling seeds" means. Guess I need to get out the dictionary!!

Jodi...great idea to start this thread (har har har - inside joke between the 2 of us). I think it's good to know more about the people that you are conversing with, debating, and advising than just their screen name!
;-) (that's me winking at Jodi...)
Kristi

o

AAAAAAAAAAgggggggggggggggggghhhhhh
Excuce me folks I can't even find my diary the house is full of stuff and with the addition still being built still doesn't help me at this point. I make suggestions I get a hush and end up with a new pot to put ? WHERE ? who knows who cares at this time Add to that the seasons hussle and bussle and WHERES the room. He won't even talk just that hush I am keeping my eyes on the prize thou should I love him ? YESSSSSSSSSSSS I give up on even bothering him right now, best for me to just stay out of his way. I know he has been though worse than this befor. As soon as things get hard at my work I just think of him and what he's doing right now here comes my overtime cause I dont even want to go home At the end I am going to love that kitchen and dinning room and a supersized craft room. Yes I admir the male eye candy too Yumm we got a few around , Thanks for letting me vent out a little. Off to wash my hair after I weave and trun here and there I am sure I will make it.
Now that I am calm I want to wish you all a very Merry and Joyous Christams
See you all after the New Year I need A week for sleep but I am sure he will wake me by busting the wall down
The lesson I learnt I will never never ever respond with " I want to see it all" when responding to him ever again

PS excuse the typos please I am just do darn tired

o

"betonklatz my musical taste has always been loud, heavy and fast. Headbanger stuff. Never was a fan of Karen Carpenter or that genre of music. That and good 'ole Texas music like Delbert McClinton, I'll howl along with it."
Tally, I don't know of these. I'm interested in nearly all genres of music, I usually find some few artist I really enjoy everywhere. But the music I still listen to the most would be the bulk of different punk styles.

Linda, if you still need help getting images to show up, here's the thread for you. It may be somewhat overfilled with posts, but your questions will can probably be served there best ;)

Bob: Hans still roams the internet but he's not as active as he used to be.

I left most of my plants at my parents when I moved out because I at first couldn't take care for any of them but my seedlings that didn't do well at first. Last winter I finally bought a lot of the varieties I wanted for a long time now. My collection is now the following:
White x red seedlings x14, Orange Sovereign, Minerva, Supreme Garden ~x8, Sydney, Amputo x3
Seedlings from this year: Minerva x white, Sidney x SG, SG x Sydney, Sydney x Amputo
The bulbs that haven't bloomed jet (but that may open their flowers before I'm in my flat again) are: H. reticulatum, Picotee, H. papilio and Emerald.

I'd love to share but I can only send pollen or seeds. If you'd love crosses of the following, I'd like to pollinate them for you.

o

Merry Christmas everyone! Or the holiday of your choice! I'm at work until 11pm saving the world from..whatever..
We have tons to eat, mom sent us a bunch of cookies and candies, our secretary just brought a pie and oriental food, administration brought us a basket of goodies.

Have a great day everyone.

Tally HOHOHO!

o

Blue Line help: here is my first practice. If all works well this would be my hair after being in the shower

Click this twice

And his real motivation for the additon ( he wishes too.) Continuing with our lives together. We're 33 years married we where also highschool sweet hearts. During our time together we have a few collections, some of it is just junk and if so it is going. Our house is paid for including the new addition. As it is the house has been busting out of the seams for a while now we realy do need the added space. (Men and there toys where do they find the time) The two adult childern still live at home Daughter 24 Son 19. From me if your a young man intereseted in making me a grandmom I would say yes in a country second. I fairly need to remind you I have a pit bull/ x recon USMC for a husband and she is daddys lil girl. So much for me being a grandmom which is not why he is going to get that new space either. I am still the master of my dog. Nursing news There where 3 new Christmas babies in my hands last night all in very good bouncy baby health :)
Thank-You for the blue line help betonklotz I am crossing my fingers.

o

Jennifer, Panda is a real cutie, and I LOVE the name!! :-)

Living in such a harsh summer climate forces me to do a lot of container gardening as well (so I can move them into shady spots when Mother Nature leaves the heat on full blast!). I'm going to have to rent a moving truck just to take all my pots over to the new house! Heck, it might take two trips! LOL

Tally, I love Delbert McClinton! I, too, love all types of music... country, pop, rock, alt., classical, jazz... you name it, I probably like something from each genre. The internet does a great job of helping obscure artists develop a following. I drove Santa nuts this year trying to find some very random CD's that I was hoping would be left under the tree for me.

Phoenix Ryan

o

Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 12:16

Welcome - Welcome - Welcome! And the very Best of the Holiday Season to all of you... whether lurking, coming out of hiding, or joining us every day! I'm so happy to meet all of the new members, and very happy to see our regulars all joining in!

Yes, I'm exceedingly glad I started this thread... and it's a great time of year for it, too! (A wink and hug for Kristi!)

Great to meet you, Jennifer! As a huge fan of the Mollossor Group, I like Panda very much! My husband and I have spent the last 30 years or so deeply involved in Performance American Bulldogs and Olde English Bulldogges... not to be confused with the English Bulldog, which is a genetic mess, as far as I'm concerned! The only small breed we ever worked with was the American Tunnel Terrier, a go-to-ground vermin hunter, not unlike the Rat Terrier, Jack Russel, or the Patterdale.

I love your plant photos! Especially the silver and white arrangement and the picture to the far right... what is that? Is it a Hibiscus? It's very cool!

Welcome, Newbud! It sounds as though you're going through the typical excitement and melee of building a home addition... but extra space is always welcome! I wish I had more, myself! Being crammed in a one room apartment with a husband, dogs, and all these plants is certainly challenging!

Music... I can listen to almost anything... except country! That's where I draw the line! ;-) But seriously... hard rock and heavy metal are favorites... rock ballads are awesome, if not outdated... and I can even tolerate Insane Clown Posse, my son's favorite music!

On the way north right before Christmas, we listened to whatever radio station would come in... driving through the middle of nowhere... and we heard our first Christmas song of the season... Winter Wonderland. It was extremely nostalgic, and we just smiled at each other... memories of a simpler time...

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas... or whichever Holiday your family celebrates... and I hope for a good 2010 filled with love and happiness... and lots of Hippeastrum blooms! :-)

o

Howdy all!!!!
Just stopping in quickly to see who and what is new around here. Miss you all, I'll catch up once I get this working thing down pat again! It's been a few years but I'm finally working in the nursing field after going back to school.
Also house hunting again, yep giving up the gardens they are just too much work with our schedules the way they are. Spent 5 years getting them to the point of gorgeous and now giving it up for just grass to mow and a few antique perennials I'm taking with me after sterilizing them!!! To many vermin around this side of town. I'll also be losing my sunroom, so my house will have plants all over it again. I hope Chase can survive that! We've put an offer on a home with almost 12 acres of forest that will stay that way, it has a patch of lady slipper orchids and who knows what else, the feds know about them so they will stay untouched forever and the property abutts conservation land so no building there either!!!

I'll keep you all posted. One more great thing about this is...I may finally get my small greenhouse because space will allow. Wish us luck.

o

Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 20:15

The best of luck, Chaz! I'm sad to see your beautiful gardens go... you worked so hard to get them that way! But on the other hand, I can certainly understand your reasoning.

And you know... with 12 acres... you could slowly spread out a little... and let small garden areas evolve. Shade gardens are very lovely! I could picture a few well placed Hostas and other shade perennials delineating the forest edge...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you... I hope you get the house of your dreams!

Getting back into the swing of working... especially a nursing job... will take a bit of time. But I'm so glad you're accomplishing the goals you set! That's so awesome!

o

BUMP....let's get this one going again (hey...have to try!). If you are new to the list, read through and meet us, then add yourself to the bottom of the list!

Welcome to Garden Web!!
Kristi

o

I'm Lena -----nen from Finland, very much in the beginning of hippie-growing; in the years passed I had one every now and then, around Christmas, and that was that. Have loved them always, though.
I wanted to grow orchids but it turned out to be too difficult; during the long winter months they would have needed more light and more everything... And then I decided to give the hippies a go. And they like me! And I love them! What a comfort and a source of energy they are to all of us; my husband is just as crazy about them as I am.

I live in south of Finland, in a small village in the country, surrounded by corn fields and woodland. Here's the road that goes by our house -
Photobucket
and Esther is there too, she's our lovely nine-year-old. Photo was taken in winter 2011.

October 2012, in the woods nearby, Esther and "the baby", 8-month-old Tessa:
Photobucket

Our yard in the summer -
Photobucket

Thank you all for a great forum!!
_IGP4864-copy6201_zps77d408e5
Winter 2011-2012

o

Lena,

Thanks for the lovely picture perfect postcard photos!! And, it looks like you live Paradise!!
It's really great to meet you!!
Your dogs and your flowers are beautiful and I'll just bet your hubby is handsome too!!

Donna

o

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this group but not new to growing hippies and stuff. I'm 50 and I live in Cambridge with my partner Arlen and our kids (Kitty - Fluffernutter & Woofer - Piccolina the Dachshund). I'm confirmed plant lunatic (that's just few more steps than a plant nut). I have lived in Cambridge since 1967 and I don't think I could remember a time that I didn't have bulbs, hippies and other plants in my life. I credit my Grandmother for passing along the green thumb gene to me and my Dad as well. I think the "addiction" has only gotten worse as I've gotten older, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm very blessed to have a wonderful grapevine covered patio that most of my plants can enjoy their summer under and a heated sun porch that holds "most" of them for the winter and space has run out a long time ago!!! The picture attached is of my partner and I (I'm the one on the right) and the othe one is of the kids.

o

I have yet to figure out how to send multiple images.

o

Awwww..Your kids are adorable and I love both of the ties you guys are wearing!! The look on Piccolina's face says it all.. living there is pure heaven!

o

Hi Donna,

Thank you for the wonderful words. I really enjoyed reading through this string and learning all about the folks on this forum. Life really is good!!!

Warm Hugs and Regards,
Fred

o

Lena's email made me miss the snow, so I thought I would post an updated photo from earlier this year in Iceland. THAT and we are expecting a freeze in Texas in 4 days and I have to take down the old greenhouse, put up the new one, trim and move 300 pots this week. I think by Monday I'll need a back massage!!
;-)
Kristi

PS...see Northern Lights in next post!

o

Had to post this. Lena....can I come visit you so that I can see these again!!!!!

I was so lucky to see the Northern Lights 3 of the 6 nights in Iceland (March 2012). The other 3 nights it was too cloudy!

I want to see them again...they are amazing!
K

o

Great photos Kristi! And you're very welcome to visit us - and this goes to all of you!! - anytime! :D

We do see the Northern Lights here. I remember one winter in particular, when was it, 2000-something anyway, it was like there would have been a dome of lights above us, ever-changing... I'll never forget it, it was a truly out-of-this-world experience.

o

bump

o

Hello, I'm Xuan (s-w-a-n) from Vietnam.

I've been a poster at this forum since this post was up but didn't know why I missed it :)

Xuan

o

Xuan,
Good to see you here! Can you tell us more about yourself?? How long you have been growing hippis and...your love for seeds!! Some of your photos of your garden are amazing. Always good to see your posts!
Kristi

o

Hello Kristi

I have actually been attracted to growing hippeastrum since Christmas 2006 when I was given an Orange Sovereign bulb. So it's merely seven years now :)

At the beginning I could only buy local species like Apple blossom, Orange sovereign, Red star, Vittatum...etc. For the last couple of years, a group of friends and I have enlarged our collection with join orders from Royal Colors and Edensblooms.

I also have received seeds from Ann and Donna and seedlings from Maria, Jodik on this forum, too. My collection is truly...international! :)

I grow my plants in a different climate than most of yours and I have to "force" them in order to induce blooms. Right now I have about 30+ bulbs sleeping to be wake up for Lunar New Year celebration in early February 2013.

The photo shows the bulbs sleeping in the fridge :)

When the bulbs wake up and bloom, I will surely share photos.

Xuan

o

Hi,

I am kavitha. I love amaryllis. I buy them every year and lose so many of them. I am a mom of 2 little boys who keeps me busy all the time.

Here is my collection few years ago. I made them bloom all at one time. From that year, I planned to have at least one bloom anytime.

I love indoor plants and tropical fragarent plants. I have started my yard with native plants. I do veggie garden too. I will take photos of my collection and upload photos.

Photobucket

o

Love this photo!! Where do you buy most of your bulbs?? They look really great. You say you lose many of them every year...do they rot or___?

I have to say....the varigated clivia in your album is AMAZING!! When it blooms...if you have a spare seed or two!! (hint hint)!! Or....where did you get it (you and I are both in zone 8).

Kristi

o

Kristi,

I have ordered clivia on eBay from china (lovablechina). I still have the mentioned clivia, but not as good as it was. It hasn't bloomed yet. If it sets seeds, I can definitely share with you. I do have clivia mulan Daruma, which flowered this year, last year and before. I should have last year's seeds. If I don't find them, I can share this year's seeds. I used to have good collection of clivia too. I still have one regular variegated, 5 variegated (the one you have mentioned), fukurin, mulan daruma. My kids and dogs pull the plants out of pots. Surprisingly I don't find the plant anywhere in my yard once they pull the plant out of the pot. Whenever my kids see me pulling the weed in the yard, they wants to help me and pulls the plants from pots. If I think of it now, it's a very sweet memory, but at that moment, I get so mad at them.

I had 2 little kids (3+ years old & 1+ year old). Since last 3 years I am busy with them. I am not getting time to do much to plants with little kids,dogs and job. I do have huge collection of tropical plants. I have left my bulbs outside during the winter. Only few of them survived. This year again I have got few more. I order them from johnscheepers and easytogrowbulbs. They both are very very good source. I get really good size bulbs. Hopfully from this year, I don't lose any of my plants.

You can see my plant collection in one of the photos in the album. Now that whole area is full. Now there is no place for any other plant. All the kitchen counters are full, bathrooms are full. Still wants to have more plants.

o

Bunti...you clearly have CHAD!!
1) Compulsive Horticulture Acquisition Disorder ...or on this list...
2) Compulsive Hippeastrum Acquisition Disorder!!
Welcome to the group!!
;-)
Kristi

o

Kavitha,

That photo you posted of all your amaryllis is just amazing!! Congratulations..hopefully your little darlings haven't yanked them all out of their pots and you still have a few left!
I seem to remember the name "bunti" did you post sometime in the past or maybe I saw it on the clivia forum.

Please feel free to share your pictures of your amaryllis as they bloom for you this year, we would all love to see them!

Donna

o

Wow... nice to meet everyone new, or relatively new! Boy, did this thread bring back a lot of great memories!

Wonderful photos, everyone!

I'm so ashamed... I need to make more time to come here...

Kristi, you look so happy and you fit in so well, whether swimming in Cabo, or braving the cold in Iceland! I don't know how you manage! :-)

I've really missed you all... I've just kind of been slowly falling apart physically, and can't manage as much in one day as I used to. I've been following politics a little closer, reading up on our global climate, and mourning the loss of my giant Minerva bulb and her equally large daughter.

Anyway... enjoyed this thread brought back to the surface... it's so neat to look back, even a couple of years, and for me and my poor memory, it's a great thing to reread! Thanks!

o

I am a Fl. native, 84 yrs. young in good health. I live in a mobile home park with a small yard. I have many Amaryllis, lost many of them this year to NBF! waiting to see how many I have left after cleaning & treating them. I am now using systemic treatment. I also have a number of Orchids mostly Catts & Dens. I also grow some veggies. I do all my own gardening, love it!! I have mostly lurked here but have enjoyed the many helpful posts! Looks like I am the oldest one here!!!

o

Welcome Rene!! Age is just a number!! There are several mature folks on the list! You have lots of experience and tips to share.

Bayer makes a good systemic granular for NBF. It's a multipurpose product that includes fertilizer.
K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 11:09

o

Bayer is what I am using now. I treated,soaked them with a systemic all purpose liquid to kill the maggots.

o

Sounds good. Sorry that you had NBF. Hate to jinx myself but I haven't seen one buzzing around since I started a religious regimen each spring. I hope they gave up on my yard and moved on!!
K

o

I would NEVER guess that age, Rene! You look positively young and glowing! :-)

I'm very familiar with NBF... and now use a systemic on absolutely everything in a pot, and in some areas of the gardens... though zone 5b isn't conducive to Amaryllid growth in the garden unless I want to dig them every year, and I just don't!

Welcome!

I guess I'll have to dig up a more recent photo of myself... I'm usually the one behind the camera taking the pictures at family events, so I'm not in a lot of them.

Welcome to all newcomers! It's good to have everyone here! :-)

o

Thanks Jodic, I don't feel old either! I think have the NBF under control, it sure was disapointing!!

o

I'm very glad to hear you have it under control, Rene... my NBF experience came as a total surprise, as I grow 99% of my bulbs indoors! I'm thinking it came in either through an open window, in a bulb I got from somewhere, or... who knows for sure?! It was devastating, though! On the up side, it forced me to realize that my collecting was out of control... and I have since scaled back quite a bit.

I'm all of 51, but I feel ancient many days. I have lupus, and permanent injuries from an auto accident, and live in chronic pain. But I'm still alive, and I have a lot to be thankful for. Gardening keeps me moving, and my grandchildren and family remind me how truly lucky I am. As far as I know, this is the only known photo of my husband on the net... he's rather shy... this is us with our eldest son's two children, Abby and Caleb. We were all camping the weekend this was taken, just this past summer.

Photobucket

o

Pretty darn beautiful for 51!! You look great and your grandkids looks irrisistible and, your hubby looks very happy!!

Donna

o

Thanks, Donna! And I had huge bags under my eyes that morning... from a late, but very fun night around a big campfire for my son's Birthday party! Yes, the Grandkids are the apples of Grandpa's eye... and it sure shows! Family is the most important thing, and we treasure the time we get to spend with them!

o

Hi Everyone...gosh ...been forever since I posted on here [so not new, just tardy lol] Amaryllis kind of got taken over with orchids, but I still have most of the special ones :)
My Daughter took this pic this fall, and the two beautys are Zoe, and Kiki, Japanese Akitas.

o

Hey, Beetle! Nice to see you! Beautiful picture! I take it you work your dogs... but can't recall if you compete... I've got a very poor memory!

I keep drooling over orchids, myself, but it's way too dry where I grow to attempt more than the two I've managed to keep alive! I have a mini Den and an Ansellia that still show some green. I'd have better luck with cacti, I tell ya!

So, tell us about your orchids! What types are your favorites? Inquiring minds want to know!

This is Rosie, one of Maia's daughters... and my bed buddy! She's not as undershot as the photo makes her look... normally, there's just a single snaggle tooth sticking out! I can't get near her with the camera, though... she won't just sit normally, and I can't sneak up on her!

Photobucket

o

Hi Jodi,
So glad you are back! :) Your Rosie is Adorable, her smile ,so Sweet! The pups are definitely trained, but no shows for them.My one dog Zoe, just celebrated her 12th birthday. The 'pup' Kiki [red and white fuzzy one:) turned two in Aug. In Akitas, every now and then a long coat is born, and although she is every bit as well bred as her littermates, a long coat is a fault:( Hubby and I just Love her to bits and maybe one more Akita will find their way to our place LOL .

Orchids have gotten to be a real Passion with me, and the Cattleya is one of my faves:) Also the slipper type [paphs and phrags are so cool :) both types are so easy to grow. I have two catts in bloom, and wake up every morning with the beautiful rosie, floral scent:) Must admit it was hard at first,to get them to rebloom, but then Jim built me two plant shelves in the south windows, and now, they bloom every year, Its Wonderful:) I've got a couple [he he]pics in the orchid forum, but am sharing the current bloomers here on my Fav forum:))

o

Here's my Cattleya that blooms this time every year. Fills the back porch with sweet perfume!
Kristi

o

Beautiful orchids, both of you! Oh, how I wish! With hubby and his electronics and computer equipment, the humidity has to stay lower than I'd need for orchids like those! They're just wonderful... thank for showing them!

Beetle, in the world of bulldogs, which are non-AKC, aesthetics like coat length are not a fault. We're more interested with what's under the hood, so to speak, than the paint job! Temperament, balance of drives, ability, heart, etc...

I think your dogs are both lovely!

I've actually heard that certain catt crosses in orchids can tolerate a little drier home environment, so I'm always keeping my eyes open for something in that range. I've got a great east window, but I fear the south is too cold in winter, being in a stairwell over an outer door.

One of these days... I'll finally get to a place where I can create the right environment for the things I really want to grow... I'm hopeful, anyway!

Finally! Caught her napping yesterday!

Photobucket

o

' aesthetics like coat length are not a fault. We're more interested with what's under the hood, so to speak, than the paint job! Temperament, balance of drives, ability, heart, etc... ' :) of course in the Akita world , all of this is important too. as well as dignity, courage,and even temperament. And I've read, , the pups with long coats, often have the best confirmation :)

Yes you could grow and probably bloom a Catt in your conditions :) Unless your window was freezing, a Cattleya can withstand a bit of cool temps. [and drier, as you know:))

Your Rosie is so Sweet [always loved brindles]....actually, the Japanese Akita can be brindle, only four colors allowed ...white ,sesame, red and white and brindle :) Sorry to ramble Jodi, I know we are both die hards for our breed of choice LOL.

o

Thanks, Beetle! Yes, she thinks she's the queen! LOL!

As I'm sure I've mentioned at some point, we do not deal with AKC, UKC, or any of the mainstream registries when it comes to dogs. The bully world has its own registries, and I believe black is the only color an American Bulldog cannot be. There is no such thing, though breedings have been tried. Faults are few... but as a working breed, more things are involved, as you know.

Rosie is an Olde English Bulldogge, not to be confused with the AKC English Bulldog... which we consider to be generally a genetic mess. Rosie's breed is a recreation of the Bulldogge of old. Again, very few faults are noted... as long as the dog remains within the general parameters set by the standard. Rosie is considered a mid-sized working breed, with a majority of qualities found "under the hood".

Yes, we do love our dogs! LOL!

I've got my eye on some of the mini-catts, for orchids... something in the Bl or Blc family... "Yellowbird" is supposed to tolerate dry conditions nicely, I've heard.

o

I much prefer Rosies look, to some [I guess they would be English ] She seems to have more stop, and nicer look to her face :) Our dogs are considered a large working breed. I hav'nt tried, but they can be trained to pull ...sled, or skijoring. Kiki has a dog pack, and we took a few zuccinis to my daughter down the street :) Really good for draining excess energy lol.

I,ve seen Yellow bird on line. That one might just be a great one to start.....evil smile inserted. Some times , you can find Catts in grocery stores. I found a real beauty several years ago, Chocolate drop, Towering Inferno. Wish you luck searching for them :)

o

Thanks, Beetle! So do we... she has much less of an over exaggerated look to her, better breathing and no sinus issues, good lung capacity, the ability to reproduce naturally, etc... and she's agile, quick, relentless in working ability, and basically has all the qualities we look for in a mid-sized working bully.

I would imagine, much like Rosie, yours love to get out and run, burn off some of that excess energy!

When our kids were really little, the old man used to hook up a small sleigh to one large American Bulldog to pull the kids around in the snow... they loved it!

I keep looking, but the groceries around here don't carry much beyond Phals, the occasional Oncid, or Cyms... and I think a lot of folks just enjoy the blooms and then pitch the dying plants. I've yet to see a Catt offered, but have seen a few Dens... so who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky one day! Thanks! I'm always looking!

o

Bump!
Seems like there are a few new members. Please introduce yourself!
Kristi

o

Good morning to all of you, I'm more of a lurker. I really enjoy reading the past posts for the wealth of information and knowledge they hold. I consider myself a newbie to the form especially when I am reading some of the past posts and see that a lot of you have been on here for many, years, I read about the many different crosses your trying about the successes and the failures, about the years of waiting to see if a particular cross paid off and you got the desired traits from 2 flowers into 1 flower and I find that a little intimidating.
now that being said I would like to thank everybody for the help given to me in the past, I have been playing with these wonderful flowers for about a year and a half now and I love them they are enjoyable and at the same time quite a frustrating. maybe I should of started this off a different way, oh well, my name is Devon I am 33 and I live in mesa arizona I have 7 children all under the age of 12. A beautiful wife and 3 a english mastiff, if I'm not at work, out hunting or camping then its wrestlemania with my boys. I have been mistaken for a hobo, Santa, and more recently Bob Ross, it's a hair thing. when this I first joined the group and I read about CHAD, I thought you guys were just being funny but now I know. So if you would all help me out with my new found addiction by sending me 1 or 2 flowers that would be great j/k. once again thank you all for making this site what it is and I will do my best to join in on the conversation.
my wife threaten me if I put a picture on there she didn't approve of she would kill me it's an oldie but a goodie

o

Hey Devon...welcome!! Let it warm up and I'll send you some Lima offsets! We'll see what else I can send...I have some potentially pretty awesome seeds in pods, so you can have the fun of "wait and see" like the rest of us!
K

o

Hi Devon, Your wife is certainly beautiful, no doubt about that! In the future I'm sure I can spare a few bulbs of this or that to send you but for now the weather on my end is too cold. I'm sure you can grow yours outside in the ground so there is no limit to what you can have and grow!..Donna

o

Hi everyone,

What a nice thread. It's great to be able to put faces to names, and to learn a little more about each of you.

I'm Amanda. I'm an old-old timer, posting thoughts and questions about Hippeastrum on the GW bulbs forum before this forum existed. (We had to walk five miles in the snow, uphill both ways, in order to post back then, and all... ;) )

I always appreciate the inspiration, advice and camaraderie on this forum. I've had times of posting quite a lot here. Various life events have kept me away from the forum, and my plants, for a year or more, now, but I'm very happy to be back--and with a seedling (Exotica x Blossom Peacock) about to bloom for the first time. Although I don't know how frequently I'll be able to join in the conversations (life is still having those darned events), I'm looking forward to being on here more than I have been over the past year.

I live one town over from Amaryllis Fred, with two very fluffy cats. I grow my hippies in a small, urban condo, and on the roof of my building in the warmer months. I've been growing these plants for a while--20 years or so. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd have a lot of trouble but I might pick aulicum. I also grow aroids and a few other tropicals indoors. I have a tiny outside garden, too. It's just waking up: Hellebores in bud and the first snowdrops blooming today. So exciting.

You can read a bit more about me (and see a picture) on my blog, if you're curious. It's not a gardening blog, but if you scroll down a couple entries, you can read more about my budded hippie seedling.

Thank you all for making this such a good forum to visit.

Amanda

Here is a link that might be useful: Amanda's blog

o

Hi everyone,

My name is My. I live in Richmond, CA. I recently got interested in planting bulbs after ordering a bunch of hyacinths and tulips from Van Englen, then I found out about Amaryllis bulbs and this friendly and informative forum and have been ordering a bunch of bulbs from Eden Blooms! And yet I still browse Ebay for amaryllis seeds haha. I guess I just contracted CHAD :) The flower's beauty just took hold of me again. When I was 10 or 11, my brother and I had a small garden with orchids and ferns, but my treasured pet was this red amaryllis. It was the world's most magical flower that went along with an awesomely long Vietnamese name "tứ diện hướng lan," meaning "orchid facing four directions", although it's not an orchid.

Anyway, I'm 30 now and have 2 supremely inventive bunnies, Abungadi and Peter, who find every which way to get in my garden (they learned to high-jump over, chew holes or use their weight to press down the flimsy fence and also skip up chairs and table to get to the plants on the windowsill). I have many casualties in the herb and chard departments, but they are too cute, so I can only smile and bring them more food :) Well, thank God,they're not interested in my new amaryllis bulbs (poisonous for them anyways). So it seems that the Amaryllis clan and the bun gang will coexist peacefully for another day. On the plus side, I have an overabundance of bunny poop pellets, high in nitrogen contents and phosphorus, which makes an excellent fertilizer and attracts earthworms. If anyone wants some, you're welcome to pick up these bunny droppings for your garden.

I'm a bit nervous and excited each day when I come out and check on the little scapes showing on my newly planted bulbs. I hope to learn more from everyone here on how to take care of amaryllis correctly and hopefully do some crossing in the future :)

o

Hi My and welcome to the forum!

Please don't hesitate to ask question and post pictures of your blooms, as we all love to see everyone's pictures.

Your bunny is just adorable and yes the bunny "pellets" are a great source of fertilizer, lucky you!..Donna

o

Dear My,

Please add an email to your page so I can send you a private email re: some offerings.

Welcome to the group.

Kristi

o

I used to be a lurker here but have been posting lately and I thought of introducing myself. My name is Lily, I am married and mother of 2 girls. I have been growing hippis since 2008, just a few years compared to a lot of you out there. It all started with the box kits from HD and Walmart and it grew from there. I am also an avid gardener, growing hostas, irises, peonies and lilies. A Lilium enthusiast and I do some hybridizing in summer. I also grow them from seeds.

I am looking for San Antonio Rose to buy or for postage, if anybody out there want to share. :) SAR look like she will be a great hippi mama!

Photobucket

o

Thanks for the welcome, Donna and Kristi and hello to Lily, too!

o

Lily, please email me off list... Use the email on my page!!
Kristi

o

Bump.
There are several new people posting and this thread is a good way to introduce yourselves and also to learn a bit about others on the forum.
K

o

Update on the prettiest flower in my garden...

Summer with Yoya's flowers - April 2013

o

Oh, Maria. Summer is growing up beautifully, and it seems in the blink of an eye.
You are so blessed!

o

Beautiful little granddaughter! Beautiful Bogota! (?) Lucky you!!

Donna

o

Hi,

I think I missed this topic!
Well let's start from the beginning. My name is Robert, I'm almost 26 (my birthday is in July) and live in small, charming town near Cambridge, England with my friends. I come from Poland, but I'm half German. I moved to Uk since I don't have a family of my own and I pursued the dream to find a better place to live so I finished college, worked really hard and learned English since I was 5. I have a quite happy life now, surrounded by warm and kind people.
Amaryllises were for me as long time as I remember a thing of interest, something distant and hard to see. But I really first got myself into this love and passion this year. In January I had been been diagnosed with symptoms of melanoma, which is skin cancer. And to fight the depression and to somehow occupy my mind I bought a poor, half frozen bulb from a local street market. One of the last two the had after Christmas. Few weeks later CHAD attacked and I got another 14 bulbs.
Gardening and plants was always my love, probably something I have after my father who was a agriculture specialist.
My doctors said it's a good idea to take care of such plants, it takes mind of problems and the blooms are a wonderful gift.
Recently I had a surgery for mole removal and biopsy. And now I'm waiting for any news from the hospital. Besides the plants I'm in great love in literature, history, photography, science, music and much more. When I can I draw and write. My biggest dream is to finish and publish a novel.

And I'm really happy to be a part of this forum :)

And this is me :

o

And since my laptop burned last year and I need to use a tablet, I can't post multiple pictures in one post, so I'm so sorry if someone is annoyed with all the separate posts. But please see below my Picotee, and Minerva which just started to bloom.

o

And so on...

o

Hi Robert,
So nice to meet you!
Our plants, flowers and friendships have helped so many of us through difficult times. I am glad to be a part of this forum and so glad you have joined us :) I have enjoyed reading your posts as well as your photos. So don't stop!
-J

o

Hi Rob, and nice to finally meet you!!

I/we all wish you the best of luck with your health issues, we're all pulling for you and, we're go glad you've joined our little group!!

Don't worry about the single picture posting, others do it too and now I know why!

Donna

o

Dear Robert,
Welcome again! It's so nice to learn a bit about everyone and to put a face with a name! You don't happen to live in Debden, Newmarket, or Saffron-Walden do you? I have friends there and know what a lovely area it is. Enjoy your current and future blooms and the group can help you to ensure blooms next season as well.
Kristi

o

Hi Kristi,
I actually live in St Ives which is in opposite direction. It's a small town surrounded by fields and lakes (there is more that 50 lakes here). It's where Oliver Cromwell used to live :) And the first pocket calculator was made ;)

o

Bump!
There are so many new people posting on the forum....let's get acquainted!!
;-)
Kristi

o

I have to laugh....(HAHAHAHHA!!!) when Donna posted her intro, she had 50 bulbs and I probably had 100. I don't know about the number Donna has, but I know it's in multiples of 50 now, and I have exceeded 700 (estimate)....!
;-)
Kristi

o

I have posted infrequently on here since last year but did not introduce myself (IIRC).

I'm mid-thirties, live in Brooklyn NY with my husband. I've been unemployed/underemployed for the last 2 years about and turned to gardening and plants to fill my free time. When it got too cold to work in my small backyard, where I am trying to make a Japanese-inspired shade garden under the trees and grow lots of annuals and perennials in pots on the sunny patio, I wanted to have something to adore indoors. I saw Amaryllis in the local hardware store and remembered years of seeing them in the holiday catalogs as a kid and bought two, a Red Lion and a Minerva.

The Minerva never grew roots and now I know it was because I over watered and kept it too cool, but both bloomed and the Red Lion lived to be put outdoors in Spring. Since then I wanted to find a white, and searched online until I found Picotee, or what I thought was Picotee but may be President Johnson. Waited all summer until Fall and ordered it and now I am trying to pollinate it and planning to try crossing and growing some for my family members.

Brief personal info - work in international higher education/admissions, BA in Japanese, MA in Teaching ESL, lived in Japan multiple times with my husband (studied there in college together when we were just dating too) which is where I had my first chance to "garden" on our Tokyo balcony, have an identical twin sister, love dogs but don't have any currently, and am a little worried I might catch CHAD from this forum. :)

Everyone here is so helpful and nice. Thank you!

o

BrooklynBonnie...
Or Dear Bonnie (assume you're Bonnie!),
Just put both names on that plant label for now. I think it's like H. Picotee due to its small size, but there are options!

H. Moscow is a beautiful large, flat, white and H. Alfresco is a lovely white double that is scented!

I think you might already have a very mild case of CHAD.
K

o

Hello everybody!!
I'm Ana, 38 years old, stay home mom with three kids, step mother of three, ages 14,13,12,11,4 and 2. I live in Phoenix Arizona. I got hook with hippeastrum last year when my hubby gave me a bouquet of lilies and I went to HD to get some lilies bulbs and saw the hippeastrum bulbs and grab three instead, and the rest is history, now I have more than 65 bulbs growing in containers, so I can move them around, summer is very harsh in here, I also have some seedlings growing too, guess I'm addicted. ;) I also want to star growing hippeastrum species, and the famous Worsleya Procera which I wonder how it'll do in here? I also grow some veggies and phals orchids. I enjoy this forum very much, reading new and old posting and drool over all the beautiful pictures that get posted in here! and adding names of hippeastrum to my I want list!
Ana

o

Dear Ana,
Welcome!! From 0 to 65....sounds like a sports car!! Good for you!! You are in good company!!

Have you thought about a shade cloth for a summer growing area? Houston typically is about 15 degrees cooler than your temps, but we have the humidity. Maybe a morning watering to allow for evaporative cooling during the day would help cool things down. If Arif can grow them in the Pakistan summer heat, you can succeed in Phoenix!!

If you are interested in a Worsley Procera (year-old), let me know and I'll send you Dan's email. He still has many available and mine are thriving, putting out 2 new leaves in about a month.

Again, welcome and thanks for taking a minute out of your busy home life (6 kids!!) to introduce yourself!
Kristi

o

Dear Kristy!
Thank you for your warm welcome!!
I will work on the shade cloth next summer, since we don't really have humidity over here, watering in the morning sounds like a really good idea!
Yes!! I'm very interested in a Worsleya Procera, it would be great if you can send me Dan's e-mail, so I can contact him. (It would be a great Christmas gift for myself :)) so glad yours are thriving.
Thank you Again!
Ana

o

Ana,
I sent you an email through the forum.

I think the morning watering would be ok as it would allow the water to evaporate through the heat of the day. I water mine (automatically) at 4 AM, so that they are dry by nightfall.

Kristi

o

Dear Kristy!!
I got your e-mail. Thank you for the info!!
One question. The final dot at the end of the e-mail address I don't include it? Right? Because when I do, it wont send but if I don't it will send, I hope I did it right. Sorry for the dumb question, still learning about computers
Thank you
Ana

o

Hello I am Julia and have been lurking on and off for years. I have also been growing amaryllis the boxed kind from Walmart, Lowes and the grocery store for years.
I have four children ages 7 to 17, am a girl scout and boy scout leader and also 4h cub leader. I work part time as a Nurse and when not dealing with the above mentioned activities I talk to my house plants and f\the fish in the aquarium.
I love amaryllis because of the gratification of the flowers and have gifted them many times. I have a 21 year old nephew that was upset after several years of giving him one could not find one for his Birthday So after that year he received on every year until graduation.
I have earned so much on this forum and am now scouting to find named bulbs at reasonable prices.

o

Hello I am Julia and have been lurking on and off for years. I have also been growing amaryllis the boxed kind from Walmart, Lowes and the grocery store for years.
I have four children ages 7 to 17, am a girl scout and boy scout leader and also 4h cub leader. I work part time as a Nurse and when not dealing with the above mentioned activities I talk to my house plants and f\the fish in the aquarium.
I love amaryllis because of the gratification of the flowers and have gifted them many times. I have a 21 year old nephew that was upset after several years of giving him one could not find one for his Birthday So after that year he received on every year until graduation.
I have earned so much on this forum and am now scouting to find named bulbs at reasonable prices.

o

Ana... no period (that was the end of a sentence!)

Julia, welcome! If you are looking for lower prices, after Christmas most sellers have sales! Just realize those bulbs have been sitting in cold storage a little longer than most!

Kristi

o

Hello
This forum has been a gold mine for me.
I received a large group of amaryllis last fall from friends who were moving onto their sailboat. They bloomed pretty well last winter and looked great during the summer with healthy foliage on the front porch.
Now that I am more critical and educated, I have re-potted them all (fast draining mix with turface and pine bark). I found Narcissus fly larva in 3 or them (which I actually enjoyed extricating in with my water pic). And of course I had to buy more, as the addiction sets in,
Thanks for all of great information!
I am also a daylily addict, with over 100 named varieties.
Betsy

o

Hi Betsy!! You and Donna are neighbors!!
Glad we've all helped fuel your addiction!! Keep collecting!
Lovely blooms!
Kristi

o

Hello everyone,
My name is Jesus Ortiz I'm 23 years old. I live in sunny south California and I love it. My passion to grow plants didn't start as a passion. It used to be my chore to water the plants and pull out weeds. I then learned to love my chore. I saw how rewarding and beautiful it was to see your garden full of blooms and the different aromas that came along. all those compliments that came along too lol. as I grew older I loved it even more. I now grow several different kind of amaryllis hippis and I also love brugmansia I have about 15 kinds and I also love plumerias I have about 10 and I love camellias also have about 10 and I also love roses I have about 10 aswell. I love too many plants lol I am barley getting into adeniums I have had 1 for about 6 months and I love it and when I found out there were double flowering adeniums I was on a mission to find some. which I did but am waiting till spring or summer to put in an order. recently added 3 more adeniums but are noids that I bought at a flea market and can't wait to see them flower. Anyways yes I love growing plants also like to have indoor plants throughout the house. This year was a very tough year for me. several things happened to me and my family and gardening took my thoughts away for hours when I worked in my gardens it relaxed me and was a great way of therapy for for me to release stress. I am greatful that God has given us such great gifts for all of us.

This post was edited by jesusortiz2691 on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 1:43

o

Pics

o

Hello Jesus,

What a wonderful story and I agree that it is totally a gift from God. I have been saying that to my family and friends for years. We are just vessels and a higher power inspires us.

Very Warm Regards,
Fred

o

Welcome Jesus,

Yes, flowers are wonderful to lose our thoughts in when bad things happen to us or to those we love. Hopefully the coming year will be better for all of us but if not, we can still enjoy our flowers.

Donna☺☺

o

Hello Everyone!
I've been quietly lurking, only popping up for advice whenever catastrophe strikes. Thank you everyone for all you guidance. My name is Chinh(33yo next week!), I live in Redwood City, CA with my husband and a brood of bulbs. He is an extremely patient, loving man to put up with me through CHAD. I'm a flight attendant, however these days I'd much prefer to stay home on scape watch. I like to knit, and gardening. My Google searches are always of wool and bulbs. It's finally so nice to meet you all and to put faces to names. I can't wait to see what the blooming season will bring! Hope to one day meet local Hippie lovers!
CHEERS!
Chinh

o

Welcome Chinn!!

If you get down to Modesto/Oakdale, call Jean as she still has a Papilio with your name on it. She also has some day lilies to give you! Since you knit, I hope you are on Ravelry!! Add me to your connections there...I'm Holeymolee!

Kristi

o

Thanks Kristi!! Will definitely keep that in mind!
Chinh

o

Hello!
I mostly have just been lurking on here, but now that I have Hippeastrums again you might see me posting more often! I'm 25, was raised in Florida, and then moved to central Illinois for school. I'll be heading out to Washington in about a month to start my career! I've been gardening since I was 6, and growing Hippeastrums since I was 13, and still remember my first 'Red Lion' box kit. I never had seen a flower that huge before! I was hooked after that. Last year I was hit hard by CHAD and got 8 bulbs on sale. After some failed cross-breeding attempts with those hybrids, I sent my collection down to Orlando when I went home for 6 months. Sadly, almost all of my bulbs caught HMV down there and had to be destroyed =( What I found noteworthy though was that Papilio and 'Half and Half' were immune, and that Papilio couldn't take the harsh Florida heat, but 'Half and Half' thrived. This as well as the loss of my collection got me hooked into some serious breeding interest! Now I have 11 hybrids, 13 species, and 6 more species on the way. My goal is to collect all 91 recognized species...sometimes I'm a little too ambitious! I have everything growing indoors because of the harsh winters here, and did some experiments with Tapla's soil mixtures and the lighting conditions used by, um, 'covert indoor gardeners,' to create a nice controlled environment that all of my bulbs enjoy. I also have a lily breeding project I'm planning to start next spring, but that will be outdoors because I have a very sweet kitty who lives with me. I'm also interested in writing, chemistry (got my degree in it), and tinkering with just about anything that can be taken apart. Hopefully if my breeding efforts are successful, I'll have pictures of my new hybrids to show you all in a few years!

Picture is of me with a Aplinia hainenesis I grew from seed that is about 1 year old.

o

Welcome Rythen! Glad that you jumped out of lurking mode into posting. Nice collection you have going. 13 going on 19 species - congratulations! Did you start these from seeds? And growing an alpinia from seeds - I thought they were grown only from rhizome - learn something new everyday here. Well, again welcome and I hope you keep jumping in and posting. Sounds like you will have a lot to share. - J

o

Thank you for the warm welcome, JS! The species I have currently were all obtained as bulbs, but 4 of the newcomers will be started from seeds from Mauro! I'm hoping to someday come across either a bulb or seeds of H. brasilianum, because that species is known to be fragrant, and fragrance is recessive in Hippeastrums. This makes introducing the trait to hybrids difficult to say the least! And Alpinia are not true to seed - my seeds are most likely from 'Pink Perfection' x self. But they grow readily from the seed in a germinator, and the plants are very vigorous. Wonderful houseplants for sure. Might be something I can offer to trade after my next trip to Florida this Christmas and I gather some tropical seeds again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here