Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
e36yellowm3

Amalfi

e36yellowm3
13 years ago

I bought these Amalfis from VE this season - nice bulbs and surprisingly large. Looks like they'll be sending up 3 scapes each. Here's the first of them in bloom:
{{gwi:451892}}From 2010/2011 season

Alana

Comments (17)

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

OOOOOOOHHHHH, those are so PINK! I am really into Pink at the moment! It seems the antithesis of winter. I really really like these!

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

ALANA :)

I LOVE IT!!!!

I agree Noni, I am VERY into pink Hippeastrum right now!!!!

Where did you get this one?

• quail
    13 years ago

Is it fragrant?
    Michelle

• e36yellowm3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all. I like the pink too - with the contrast of the lime green throat it really offsets it nicely.

Michelle, no fragrance though - those Hadeco ones typically don't unfortunately.

Noni, I am into the pinks now too.

Josh, VE = Van Engelen. They sell bulbs in larger quantities with 3 being the smallest, but the prices are really good and quality is great. I kinda like the look of 3 of the same bulbs together.

Alana

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Oh Alana, How beautiful...I just love the way you always put more than one bulb in a pot, what a lovely show, and I agree a lovely pink is just the nicest of colors in the winter...

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Donna! I've got a Christmas pink theme going on with floating Camelia blooms in some bowls and these hippis ;-)

Alana

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Ohh, so beautiful and I love pink!

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

This looks very similar to "Neon Rose"!

I can't just quit looking at it!

• quail
    13 years ago

Too bad there's no scent. But I bet it is pretty :) Michelle

• e36yellowm3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is very similar to Neon Rose - that same very vibrant almost opaque pink. Neon Rose is a bigger flower and as PR will attest, it gets upwards of 5 blooms per scape. Do you have a Neon? My 2 bulbs from last year grew like crazy and started a bunch of little bulblets. If they continue to grow this spring I'll let you know ;-)

Here's Neon with Ragtime: {{gwi:451894}}From 09 / 10 hippi season

Alana

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Alana,

I do have a "Neon" :) The sepals are just starting to open! It's a huge bulb! I'm very excited, especially looking at your pictures, that is the best I've seen the flower displayed!

Alana, I've got quite a few things for you come this spring!

• e36yellowm3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh, you are so going overboard - hook, line and sinker, as they say!! It's fun to watch ;-) Reminds us of ourselves that first season we were bitten. Alana

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I think I've bought every bulb available this season, really! Well, minus "Blossom Peacock", "Tosca" "Sunny Prince" and "Flamenco Queen", those are my next order! ;) hehe

• ryan820
    13 years ago

Alana I love the color and shape of the flowers and once again you did a very good job of having the foresight to group plant these guys. Well done!

• tiarella
    13 years ago

I love this color! Did you order yours direct from VE? I bought a papilio years ago and it was a van Engelen. (it has yet to bloom!) I asked about Hadeco bulbs available from a local nursery and they said a local bulb dealer buys from Hadeco and then resells to the local nursery. This will, of course, add to the price! I wonder who has Hadeco bulbs available!!?? retail. So far, I've seen prices of 13.99 each and higher for a midsized bulb up to 24.95 for a truly large bulb.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I've bought hadeco varieties for 4.99 - 6.99 at a few different vendors, I did see one vendor on Ebay trying to sell a 16cm bulb for 24.95, 30.95 after shipping, absolutely insane!

• e36yellowm3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tiarella, yes I bought these from VE this season. They weren't too expensive and were quite nice sized bulbs. Last year I bought Hadeco bulbs from both Blooming Bulb and Van B and I wasn't terribly impressed with either. The ones from Blooming Bulb arrived practically blooming (hence the name I guess) and were smaller; the Rozettas I got from Van B were a mess. I swore never again to order from either of them. I was pretty happy with VE - good prices, quality product and really excellent packaging. I'm sticking with VE for the future.

Josh, that's amazing that someone would expect to sell a bulb for that much. I guess buyer beware applies.

Alana

Sponsored
More Discussions