Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstropic

Hippeastrum H554

jstropic (10a)
9 years ago

Taken inside without flash. The first scape had some damage on the tip which you can see in the flower It has a second scape starting so we will be able to see if the flower shape changes. Its a pretty little thing and I like it :) - J

Comments (33)

• Fred Biasella
    9 years ago

Hi J,

I agree...and I think she would look really nice in my collection. LOL Seriously though, she is beautiful. Is this your own creation? What are you going to call her?

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Fred,

This is one of Royal Colors limited offerings this year. I think this one is still available. It is a really small plant and so - cute!! Might be a good choice for anyone thinking of breeding smaller hippeastrum as her light yellow color offers a blank canvas. Anyway, I think she's going to be one of my favorites this year - J

• gryffin
    9 years ago

This makes me excited about mine! No scape yet, but several leaves.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Since it's unnamed, do you think this may be H.Honeybee?

• Fred Biasella
    9 years ago

Oooooh I like that. That would save me yet another order to RC.

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

Jody, I have a mislabeled H. Tango in flower right now that I'm wondering if it is H554 instead. I didn't order one this year so I'm trying to ID it. Mine is much whiter than your picture though.

Is H554 really, really small? This one is tiny. The one scape is only 9 inches tall, the other 7 inches and the largest flower is less than 2 1/2 inches at the widest.

Can you or anyone ID this one or have a different actual photo?

Thanks!

Nancy

9 years ago

I have blooms coming too, so will post as soon as the open.

K

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, If the colors in your photo are accurate, then I think it is different. I now have four of these so I'm almost an expert lol. All of them flowered with yellow leaves. The only other small limited flower I have is Torrone which was very small - see picture below. Could that be it?

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I'm thinking the scape on H554 was about 15 inches (similar in size to Baby Star - I know this as they were flowering at the same time :) ) The scape on Torrone was much smaller.

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

Well...now I am really confused. Here is another photo I took today. Some flowers have faded but you can see that it has 6 flowers per scape.

I had a Torrone that flowered earlier but now looking at yours and the pictures RC had, I'm not even sure that one was correct. The scape was very tall and while the flower shape is similar, mine was totally white. It didn't have any of the pale pinkish-peach that was on yours or the RC site. The flower was on the smaller size but the overall plant and flower wasn't tiny like the other one. I wasn't impressed with this one at all. Here was my Torrone:

Soooo...what two do I have??? lol
    Nancy

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, I think your Torrone is actually Torrone :) Some of my flowers were all white and some had a barely noticeable pink tinge. The other one however, I have no idea! But I really like it and it shows potential to be even prettier next year after its developed some growth. Time for some sleuthing and others are much better at it then me lol

9 years ago

Maybe we can arrange a trade! My Terrone didn't survive its journey!

K

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

Thanks Jody! Whatever this little gem is (we know it's not Tango, La Paz or even La Pango lol), I am really getting attached and would love to know what it is. It is so cute! As long as there is going to be some sleuthing going on...***heads up Kristi***...here is a picture I took today so you can get an idea of the size. It is next to a medium height Pajama Party.

Kristi, a trade may be possible this fall if I can remember where I planted it. ;)

• Peridot
    8 years ago

Hello,

I have bought a H554 from
    Royal Colors last year too, and I'm surprised that your flowers were
    so small, probably because initial rooting at that time?

How are your bulbs now?
    Have you scapes on them yet?

I bought my H554 in
    April last year, at the end of the season. It had a tip of a scape visible and
    half a dozens little bulblets. Sadly the scape withered away and for
    the next months nothing happens at all. Two month later another scape
    grow along with some leafs. And than another scape. And they grow
    tall! The first one surely 70cm at least.

Unfortunately the bulb
    shrunk some after bloom and never really recovered from it. The few
    bulblets which appeared were pathetic and fragile. The bulb hasn't
    come out of its dormancy as of yet.

How are your bulbs doing?

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Peridot, my H554 are just beginning to come out of dormancy. Like you, I was worried last year that they would become weak from putting so much energy into flowering, but they seemed to recover. The specials (from RC last year) dropped all their leaves in the fall and are just waking up now. At this time I only see leaves coming from the bulbs - no scapes yet, but at least they're waking up :). - J

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    8 years ago

Nancy, Your Pajama Party is lovely!!

• mitsukiwi
    8 years ago

Thank you Donna!

Peridot, all of my bulbs are planted in the ground and so far I have no flowers yet this year. Unfortunately, I kept very good records of bulbs purchased and when they bloomed but...I do not have a diagram of where they are all planted. :( So, I will have to wait for flowers before I can tell. Your pictures are very nice and I like your orchid too!

• catsandhippies
    8 years ago

Hi Peridot, I ordered mine in April too, it didn't look very good and aborted all three buds. Finally it grew leaves and roots, spent the summer outside and the winter on the windowsill of an unheated room where it still is. It kept some leaves and started to grow new ones and a couple of offsets a few weeks ago. Yesterday I discovered the tip of a bud so I'm quite excited now... Hopefully I will see its flowers this year!

I like your pictures! Was there any yellow at all or was it rather white?

Anja

• catsandhippies
    8 years ago

This years flower:

I would rather like to have more flowers and less offsets but I like. It's pale yellow without any pink or rosé in it. And it is more a trumpet than a mini.

• Fred Biasella
    8 years ago

Hi Anja,

It is very petite and pretty and has a delicate look to it, congratulations :-))) I wonder what the offspring would look like if you put some papilio or aulicum pollen on it and if it would retain the smallish growth pattern?

Warm Regards from snowy Boston,

Fred

• haweha
    8 years ago

It reminds me of "Trentino". Did it produce a hint of rosé on the segments?

• catsandhippies
    8 years ago

There is no rosé, it's actually more yellow than in the picture. And it's not very small, the scape is about 57 cm/22,4 inches high.

Fred, of course I will try some Papilio pollen (I put it on almost everything this year) and I think also Lemon and Lime (if it is L&L I have) and/or my yellow No ID. And maybe Spotlight or Tosca? Or a Cybister? What do you think? It looks as if I'm going to have only 3 opportunities.

Oooh, you still have snow in Boston? I'm so happy about our spring weather. I hope it comes to you too very soon!

Anja

• Peridot
    8 years ago

I'm sorry I haven't
    written on this thread in a while, I haven't noticed the last few
    comments here at all :-(

Mitsukiwi, thanks
    for your nice comment on my pictures! The orchid is blooming just now
    again :-)

Anja, that's
    wonderful, that you have this bulb as well! And it's great that you
    have a flower of it too! It's really a nice picture. I like the shape
    and the riffles of this flower, it's good to see it again. I wouldn't
    call my own flower back then yellow, more a nicely creme white, but I
    had mine at a north-east window, without much light.

I had 5 and 3
    flowers last summer. Three I selfed, which failed within days, two I
    dusted with my Clown (Toronto / Popov), which failed within weeks and
    two I dusted with Exotic Star, which took great and got me 60-70
    seeds and around 50 seedlings. They are seven month now and are
    growing on my windowsill here. So maybe you will have luck with
    Papilio!

And guess what? A
    few days ago I noticed a tip of a bud on mine too! And it really has
    much bulblets. I can count six of them now.

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Peridot, these photos are really nice, your Hippis seem to be happy!

I had 4 flowers on my first scape of H554 and pollinated them with Papilio, a mix of Lemon&Lime and my small yellow NoID, Sweet Lilian and Rosario. Papilio failed but the 3 other pods look very promising, they are small but constantly growing and the first (with the yellows) should be ripe soon. Seeds are goinig to be tiny I suppose.

What did you do with yours now? Did you try Papilio? And anything else?

I have another scape coming and will try Emerald on this for sure.

Anja

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

I looked up this old thread because I wonder what your H554 are doing? Do you still have it? Mine grew offsets like crazy last year and this is how it looks now:

Two of the offsets already have scapes. Maybe I'll have a pale Yellow Garden next year...

Anja

• berkeleysgr8
    7 years ago

I like plants that have a lot of offsets (so long as the mother bulb doesn't kill herself making all those babies)! I bought Yellow Garden and Striped Garden klisters and a San Antonio Rose this year, just because they all create a lot of offsets! I love your "forest" of H554 Anja! A blank canvas for some cybister pollen, perhaps?

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Well, I didn't pollinate it this year but I have some seedlings H554 x Rosario, Emerald, Santiago and Sweet lilian growing from last year :-)

Anja

• Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Hi Anja,

I totally agree with Tina, that looks absolutely wonderful. I currently have a San Antonio Rose growing in the same pot (for many years) and they're at the point of bursting, but I don't want to touch them as they seem to flower much better when they're crowded. I may just re-pot them into a larger pot but not disturb the roots. Another one that seems to reproduce like bunnies is Voodoo and I am waiting for mine to be delivered and guess what??? It's a smaller growing one just like SAR...I can't wait!!!

Fred

• bulbinabox
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Oh my, I love the misterious H554! I wonder how it will cross with Germa or H. frangatissinum?

• catsandhippies
    4 years ago

Maybe you can try this next year if you feed the babies well:-) As I told you I still have it and its many offsets but they did not flower again since I took this last picture.

• bulbinabox
    4 years ago

We should give it a try Anja! Also with Caramel

• Michael Lobo
    3 years ago

I have a h554 from Royal colours I got several years ago, Unfortunatly 2 years ago it bloomed itself to a point where it got so weak it almost died. it stayed dormant for a year and a half, and I thought it was dead, it put on 2 offsets that have suddenly popped out of the soil. I had it in the same pot as a dracaena palm and so never got around to digging it out.

Sponsored
More Discussions