Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

My confused SN and others

So....I am hoping that my SN behaves a little better next year.

This is what I was expecting:

{{gwi:443976}}

This is what I got. Just a "smidge" different. Now, I realize that the blooms at Keukenhof were grown under the ultimate conditions in preparation for the exhibit/competition, but this is not at all the bloom I fell in love with. Oh well....look at that pollen!! And...I found stigmas on 2 of the blooms (they run along the edge of a petal and are 3-lobed!)

{{gwi:452317}}

{{gwi:452318}}

{{gwi:452319}}

{{gwi:452320}}

Here are a couple other blooms from tonight!

{{gwi:452321}}

{{gwi:452322}}

Comments (9)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

No offense but.... ewwww! lol I see the potential tho ;)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Just a tad bit messy, but the color is good and all that pollen, and are you going to try and cut the stigma before you self it or not, Save some of the pollen, it may do well on Exotica, which gives healthy seedling, and with the veining on both SN and Exotica, you may create some beauties. My SN hasn't bloomed yet, and unfortunately my Exotica fell victim to the NFB Maggot and all I have is a golf ball size bulblet, so I won't be ble to make that cross. Good Luck with whatever to do...
    Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Kristi, the coloring is really beautiful though the petals are a bit crumpled. I see potential too!

Alana

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I may save some pollen, but don't see the need to self, as I would get all the background plants that contributed to "this". You know...when you self you aren't likely to get anything that looks like the parent plant. I am really disappointed in this bulbs performance. Very sad...

I will save some pollen to put on singles, but I have pretty much stopped selfing. If it happens accidently on anything, I have committed to saving those seeds for Mariava for her exchange for heifers.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Kristi

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I think selfing some plants could generate wonderful results such as "Pink Floyd" or "Exotic Star", while they wouldn't look like the parent plant they could hold some very wonderful characteristics of them.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh,
    Most likely you would get blooms that look like what went into the hybrid (and of course those contributed characteristics too the hybrid so they would "hold some wonderful characteristics of them"). You could get blooms that look nothing like the hybrid, but as my Gordie self showed. You can also get blooms that resemble the hybrid, but you can not refer to them by the name of the hybrid, they must always be referred to as a "self".

It's all a game isn't it. When Jodi was on the list we got into this discussion and related it to breeding dogs. Our hybrids have a lot behind them (but they are basically registered crossbred) and if you breed a pekeapoo to a peekapoo you will get puppies that look like pekinese and others that look like poodles and you can get puppies that look like neither and not the parents or you can get puppies that look just like the parents.

Interesting thoughts!
    K

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Kristi,

Is "Pink Floyd" self fertile, do you know? There is speculation that it is possibly species, if it's selfed this will answer this question. This obviously would create a clone of H. doraniae if it were a true specie.

Hans and I were speaking about "Exotic Star" which selfed could improve bloom count and since it seems nothing more than an F2 it would more than likely have many resembling characteristics of both parents *papilio and pardinum more than likely* which sounds like it could have amazing potential. Many of the "Exotics" I think would be wonderful to self as the breeding lines are less than diluted! Think of the cybisters, could you imagine the progeny of the selfed babies?

Now selfing the large Dutch hybrids I agree would be nothing but a waste of time as these are for sure a toss up as the hundreds of years of breeding behind them would generally create different reds, oranges and the occasional hybrid resembling H. vittatum.
    Where is Jodi? Is she still a member of this forum?

Josh

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Merry Christmas Josh,

I think that "Pink Floyd" is a diploid hybrid. As such, it is most likely self-incompatible.

-B

• blancawing
    13 years ago

P.S. I think the probability of cybister hybrids being self-compatible may be much better because H. cybister is a self-fertile species.

P.P.S. As far as I know, Jodi has not posted here since the inception of Super Gardeners.

-B

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz