Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paxfleur

H. Pasadena

paxfleur
15 years ago

A new one for me this season. I know Michelle (mymanga) and Elizabeth (elizabeth_jb) has 'Pasadena' in their collection. What do ya'll think? At first glance, I thought it was simply gorgeous but now that I look at it, the petals seem to be all over the place and not uniformed. I do love the color though. :o) My apologies to those of you all who have dial-up. :/

{{gwi:452426}}

{{gwi:452427}}

{{gwi:452428}}

{{gwi:452429}}

{{gwi:452430}}

Comments (16)

• larschar
    15 years ago

Personally, I love asymmetry. Thanks for sharing! What a wonderful bloom.

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Oooooooooo! I just love it. It's perfect just like it is.

• mariava7
    15 years ago

The red color is good. The red/white/red eye petal design is nice and prominent. It is however undecided if it wants to go double or single at this point. Give it some time to recover and hopefully the flowers on the second scape would be fuller and more symetrical like the pictures of Pasadena that we have been seeing.

I wonder how my Pasadena would look like Pax? Our Pasadenas came from the same source.

• paxfleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. :) I love the color of Pasadena and feel that it may improve on it's second scape *fingers crossed*

Maria -- your Pasadena will look wayyyy better than mine. With the high-class treatment you provide your bulbs, your Pasadena will probably blow my Pasadena to shame.:) So far mine has two scapes (one blooming, one still unopened); I usually have better luck with the second and third scapes so I'm hoping for improvement in the coming scapes. Otherwise, like one daylily hybridizer once said to me, "Never judge the flowers the first year. The blooms can be smaller, the color & form way off, and they can do things like bloom way down in the foliage. The 2nd year they look good, and the 3rd year they will blow you away."

Time will tell....please post yours when it blooms! :) How far along is yours?

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

I will be very disappointed if this is what my Pasadena looks like! The box shows a multilayer double like layers of petticoats. The color on yours are gorgeous but please tell me this is not what Van ENgelen/John Scheepers sent you!

Mine are so slow waking up that out of 6 I purchased and potted up several weeks ago only one is showing signs of growth and that one just the tip of a stalk. Since these were major gift items for my adult kids and special friends , I want them to be special flowers. (like I ordered!)

• paxfleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Liza -- If it makes you feel better, my Pasadena is not from John Scheepers/Van Engelen. However, if memory serves me right, Michelle (mymanga) ordered her Pasadena from John Scheepers/Van Engelen last season and she wasn't impressed too much. I too, was expecting the extravagant layers (like petticoats) but like I said, time will tell if Pasadena will improve. I would like to note though, my Pasadena is probably the worst case scenario in terms of performance (not sure if it wants to be a single or double). Have faith Liza, I'm sure you will be blessed with the Pasadenas you were looking forward to. :)

• mariava7
    15 years ago

My Pasedena is still snoring in the garage. LOL! I have unplanted newly purchased bulbs now in there...same temp. as my fridge!!!

• paxfleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL!!! I can't say much either though; I have a bunch of unplanted bulbs snoring away as well. :)

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Hi all,

I encourage you to be patient and give your Pasadena bulbs time to grow strong and produce their best blooms.

Here is a shot of one of my older mature bulb.

{{gwi:452432}}

Best,

Blanca

• belfair
    15 years ago

Blanca
    That is stunning! It is definitely worth the wait. Thanks for warming a cold morning with this beautiful photo.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Wow! Now, that's a beauty of a variety! I love ALL the photos in this thread!

Pax, yours has such wonderful colors, and I love Mother Nature's imperfections!

Blanca, what a beauty... patience is definitely something to be learned from Mother Nature... look at that coloration!

Man... you guys are really making me want to break down and get more bulbs!

• npublici
    15 years ago

I have over thirty Pasadena.I find it to be very variable.I have seen it as as single with ovaries, to a quadruple,with no reproductive parts. Most of the time it is fully double with one third layer petal in the middle. To me,it is never less than beautiful. The red is heavily saturated and the white is very white with no bleeding or speckeled areas.
    The plant is pretty consistantly strong and tall. It makes large bulbs and offsets new bulbs often. One to three a season,once the mother bulb is large,in this part of Florida. It is an excellent choice for breeding stock.It has a wide variety of genes,judging from its selfed seedlings. Del

• paxfleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wowwww....Blanca, that is one of the prettiest Pasadenas I have ever seen! :) I love how it does a figure eight in the middle and looks like angel wings. TFS -- it gives me hope. :)

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

OK, FEELING much relieved about my gifting Pasadenas! I figure most will return to me after the holidays, LOL. Just the fact that they are very variable means that what happens one year is not necesarrily what will happen next year. I am curious about its sleepiness though...all my other VE bulbs are sending up some beginning growth but of the 6 of these only one shows any sign of it and that just barely! I do hope htey will bloom sometime over the holidays with that gorgeous red and white coloring!

I am going to keep my eyes open for an Angelique when are in LA and San Francisco on our trip. IF I find Angelique I will buy several and have them sent home to pass on to those who are looking for them also.

• mymanga
    15 years ago

Yep, I was not too impressive with my Pasadena last year. This year I ordered some Pasadena from Netherlandbulb but the bulbs are still in my fridge waiting in line to be planted. I will post pictures once the old bulb from last year and this year bloom and we can compare if they differ . :>
    Michele

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I've put Pasadena on my "must have" list... it's just too beautiful to pass up!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions