Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two new bulbs:)

Posted by beetle_2007 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 9, 11 at 22:40

Hi Everyone:)
Gosh....it seems like forever since I've posted! Hope you all are having a Wonderful time , getting ready for Christmas, and of course, with old and new bulbs ;)
Cutting to the chase lol, I just recently ordered Misty, and Exotic Star:) One is opening as of this morning,and to me, it looks like it might be ES!!! [fingers and toes crossed] Here are the two pics, when it fully opens, there will be more [whether or not they are true to what was ordered]lol!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two new bulbs:)

Congrats, Beetle. I'm so eager to see the blooms.

Xuan

o

Thanks Xuan! I know its a tad early, but I can't help imagining the stripes on an Exotic star :) Its been many years since I purchased any bulbs. my collection is ok, but not all are healthy enough to flower.

o

Both are beautiful varieties, and I'm sure you'll be pleased! Can't wait to see them open! :-)

o

So far I'd say you're right on track for 'Exotic Star' ;)

WOOHOO, it's a beauty, enjoy it!

o

Awwww, Thanks Jodi and Josh! Both are real healthy bulbs, but the soil appears to have those pesky fungus knats :( I'll try the three in one spray, and hope for the best:)

o

Beetle,

I would also think about switching to a gritty mix, Jodi suggests a recipe by Al on the container garden forum. I haven't tried this mix but it's a very strong one and I would recommend you to try it! I use bark pieces, large perlite, smaller charcoal pieces and a small amount of humus. My plants thrive and I don't have to worry too much about rot or fungus gnats!

o

Hi Josh,
Most of my collection "16 or so] are in a gritty mix.:) It seems they do so well, I don't know where the little flies came from, but hoping the spray did them in! If not, I will give everyone a transplant into new mix. these are the Lovely Exotic Star,... in this mornings light:))

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I LOVE her!!

o

She's a beauty!!

o

:) Thank you! Just an odd question here.... I know there is Papillio in its parentage, does anyone know what makes up the rest?

o

Good question..I'd like to know too if someone has a theory...

o

Hi Guys,

Hippeastrum 'Exotic Star' I'm sure is an F1 hybrid of H. neopardinum and H. papilio. The growing pattern also suggest this as all three have very similar growth. There is some suggestion that H. lapacense is a parent but I disagree as this is primarily red with no pink speckling that gives 'Exotic Star' its charm!

o
RE: Two new bulbs

I forgot to mention, the progeny of H. neopardinum and H. papilio is incredibly similar to 'Exotic Star', I could barely tell them apart!

o

Hi everyone,
Wow, you really are on to something Josh! I looked up neopardinum, and it totally could be the other part of ES:)) Very pretty flower too!

o

Beetle,

A friend of mind made a the cross of H. papilio and H. neopardinum and it was identical. Before I saw his cross tho I was almost positive that this cross was just that, H. neopardinum x papilio.

o

Lovely outcome, Beetle! I like Exotic Star!

o

Good Morning:),
Thanks Josh and Jodi, The second scape flowers, are opening, and the other bulb [Misty ,I hope] is just starting:)
I forgot how nice it is to have a bulb or two flowering around Christmas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here