Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beetle_2007

Two new bulbs:)

beetle_2007
12 years ago

Hi Everyone:)

Gosh....it seems like forever since I've posted! Hope you all are having a Wonderful time , getting ready for Christmas, and of course, with old and new bulbs ;)

Cutting to the chase lol, I just recently ordered Misty, and Exotic Star:) One is opening as of this morning,and to me, it looks like it might be ES!!! [fingers and toes crossed] Here are the two pics, when it fully opens, there will be more [whether or not they are true to what was ordered]lol!

{{gwi:452444}}

{{gwi:452446}}

Comments (16)

• haxuan
    12 years ago

Congrats, Beetle. I'm so eager to see the blooms.

Xuan

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Xuan! I know its a tad early, but I can't help imagining the stripes on an Exotic star :) Its been many years since I purchased any bulbs. my collection is ok, but not all are healthy enough to flower.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Both are beautiful varieties, and I'm sure you'll be pleased! Can't wait to see them open! :-)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

So far I'd say you're right on track for 'Exotic Star' ;)

WOOHOO, it's a beauty, enjoy it!

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awwww, Thanks Jodi and Josh! Both are real healthy bulbs, but the soil appears to have those pesky fungus knats :( I'll try the three in one spray, and hope for the best:)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Beetle,

I would also think about switching to a gritty mix, Jodi suggests a recipe by Al on the container garden forum. I haven't tried this mix but it's a very strong one and I would recommend you to try it! I use bark pieces, large perlite, smaller charcoal pieces and a small amount of humus. My plants thrive and I don't have to worry too much about rot or fungus gnats!

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Josh,
    Most of my collection "16 or so] are in a gritty mix.:) It seems they do so well, I don't know where the little flies came from, but hoping the spray did them in! If not, I will give everyone a transplant into new mix. these are the Lovely Exotic Star,... in this mornings light:))

{{gwi:452448}}

{{gwi:452450}}

{{gwi:452452}}

I LOVE her!!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

She's a beauty!!

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

:) Thank you! Just an odd question here.... I know there is Papillio in its parentage, does anyone know what makes up the rest?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Good question..I'd like to know too if someone has a theory...

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Hi Guys,

Hippeastrum 'Exotic Star' I'm sure is an F1 hybrid of H. neopardinum and H. papilio. The growing pattern also suggest this as all three have very similar growth. There is some suggestion that H. lapacense is a parent but I disagree as this is primarily red with no pink speckling that gives 'Exotic Star' its charm!

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention, the progeny of H. neopardinum and H. papilio is incredibly similar to 'Exotic Star', I could barely tell them apart!

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Wow, you really are on to something Josh! I looked up neopardinum, and it totally could be the other part of ES:)) Very pretty flower too!

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Beetle,

A friend of mind made a the cross of H. papilio and H. neopardinum and it was identical. Before I saw his cross tho I was almost positive that this cross was just that, H. neopardinum x papilio.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Lovely outcome, Beetle! I like Exotic Star!

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning:),
    Thanks Josh and Jodi, The second scape flowers, are opening, and the other bulb [Misty ,I hope] is just starting:)
    I forgot how nice it is to have a bulb or two flowering around Christmas!

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator