Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to chip bulbs

Posted by Devonfawn Az 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 22:42

I saw something on youtube today it was listed under "how to chip an amaryllis bulb", I tried to put a link on here but it wouldn't let me check it out tell me what you think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to chip bulbs

Looks like it's a solid method and easy enough as well. Ty for the share

Here is a link that might be useful: http://youtu.be/LAoIelfGWdg

o

Devon,
Anything has to be easier than the original chipping! I'll have to give it a look!
Thanks!
KB1

Hi KB2! My H. "George" is doing well. I'll let you know if it blooms this spring.

o

So this is the ebay Amaryllis man! Hmmm...wonder what he has for sale!

This method seems similar to the photos from China I posted a while back (a few months) but the bulb isn't striped of all roots, etc.

I would think this would be much easier if you turned the bulb upside down in a cup so that you don't end up slicing your hand! I like that he didn't stick by the symmetrical cuts. I was still waiting for him to slice his hand! Keeping the cuts apart seems like it would help with the success!

I like this man! Good common sense! Interesting to plant it in pure perlite and watering it with the fungicide. Hmmmm...wonder if a clamshell type container would work the same way the clingwrap does.

THANKS FOR SHARING THE VIDEO LINK!
k

o

if I remember right didn't they cut the bulb into a bunch of pieces leaving a small portion of the basal plate connected and then place that in some perlite with some water and breathing air into the bag to fill it up and sealing it. Would doing it this way help to keep the bulb more stable as it dies to create bulblets?

o

When I did it, I cut the bulb into about 16 separate pieces. This guy cut from the basal plate up, and sliced the bulb into about 20 parts but because the top of the bulb wasn't cut, it hangs together. He used pieces of toothpicks to keep the cut parts from touching so they don't grow back together.
K

o

I did this once just to try it. It's easy but does take time for the bulblets to grow likewise...just like seedlings.

o

It was pretty cool to watch him do this. I can see myself doing this with a clone from a crossed bulb if I thought the flowers were neat enough that I wanted to be sure that there were lots more bulbs in a shorter period of time.

o

Interesting video, thank you.

o

I just watched it too very interesting! It's the same premise as what happens when a bulb is attacked by the NFB; sometimes the bulb forms offsets and sometimes the bulb dies.
Here is a seedling that I pulled from my whiskey barrel this fall with a huge NBF maggot inside This particular seedling was so large I thought I'd give it a chance and in the process I lost the label. I squished the maggot out and sat it on top of the soil and here it is with at least 4 bulblets maybe more. Too bad I don't know what it is! Now I haven't the heart to get rid of it!
I'm wondering if you just drilled a big whole in the lower side of the bulb if it would respond like this seedling? I would think that damage is damage whether from a maggot or just an injury.

Donna

o

I have a new bulb with a similar injury. It is also sending out 4 offsets. Hmmm. Good idea!
K

o

Gosh, we all read and research so much it's hard to remember where we found the info, but regardless, somewhere :) I remember reading that one way to keep the parent plant blooming and propagate was to cut a section of the bulb with the basal plate then start the section cut-out as with chipping and replant the parent bulb (the parent will still flower). After reading this I wonder if you would not only have the section that was cut grow but also if this would cause the bulb to create bulbs around the cut? Has anyone tried this?

I know it is always recommended to start in vermiculite or pearlite,and I always wondered why. When starting cuttings or hard to start seeds I have had good results with sphagnum moss - nothing rots.

Anyway this discussion reminds me of why I love this forum - lots of sharing of information. We do this without making it seem that our way is the best way but rather "this is another possibilitly - another tool in our gardening bag". Thanks all.
-J

o

I am going to try his method with an offset of my first bulb from 1991. H. Candy Cane. It has no roots. And...I need to find my systemic fungicide!
K

o

Soaking it now...
K

o

Hey, that looks very professional!! Are you going to try this with one of your Gordies if you are successful???

o

We'll see...
I'd like to propagate H. Gordie more than 18 at a time. Since the mother bulb dies, I don't want screw it up. Still waiting for it all to pan out. We're talking techniques that result in about 10,000 bulbs, not 20! Everyone I've talked to wants to be the exclusive distributor, etc. Complicated business stuff. I'm sure it's the same in the rhododendron world.
K

o

Kristi,

I noticed that you didn't keep the roots that was the basis of the position of the cuts in the you tube video - any reason?

Also, sounds like a promising venture with the beautiful H. Gordie - good luck!
-J

o

This bulb didn't have roots. This is an attempt to salvage. I sprinkled the bottom with rooting hormone.
K

o

Good luck I'm excited to see it work

o

I planted it in perlite, watered it with the fungicide, and put it in a gallon-sized zip top bag. Think that should do?

o

This is what I did for my Little Devil. It wasn't doing too well and had lost all it's roots so I un-potted it, cleaned it up and cut it into four wedges. After letting it dry for a day or so, I dusted it with rooting powder/fungicide and planted it in a seed starting mix. Instead of covering it with plastic wrap, I used one of those clear 5" deep plastic plant saucers as a tent to keep in the moisture. For we nosey folks, it's the best of both worlds cuz you can look at the progress without having to re-attach the plastic wrap all the time. I use this method to germinate my clivia and most other seeds and I never had a problem. Here is a picture of Little Devil's progress.

Warm Regards,
Fred

o

I am tempted to do this with my Komoriya "Yellow Gorgeous" which has not produced leaves or roots since it arrived in early August. Deciding to do so is like a game of chicken. It is gradually dwindling in size, but I keep thinking I should wait just a little longer before I decide to intervene.

o

I have a Komoriya bulb that has no roots and dwindling to nothing. Guess we really have nothing to lose!
K

o

so can I assume by putting the plastic bag / ziplock bag over the container with the cut-up bulb in it, does the container not have holes in the bottom of it.

o

Hi Devonfarm,

The container should definitely have holes in the bottom of the pot. The plastic film or clear cover (over the top only) is there just to provide a humid and warm growing environment, kind of like a mini greenhouse.

Warm Regards,
Fred

o

I'm so sorry I meant to say Devonfawn. It's been a long and exhausting day with a very loud Italian family.

Warm Regards,
Fred

o

My pot has holes. The amaryllis man said to cover it with cling wrap, but I figured a big zip too bag would give the offsets room to grow.

When it did the real cuttage and twin scaling I kept the vermiculite in the dark. Did you put your pot in the dark or light?
K

o

Well, it's been exactly 3 weeks since I cut this bulb up.
I pulled the bulb out of the perlite just to see what was going on. The bulb is growing a leaf.... silly bulb! Underneath, there are the starts of at least 3 bulbs and I see more between the layers. The cut pieces are even growing roots. The toothpick pieces have fallen out. The cuts are dry and aren't growing together. Hmmm. I'll try and wait til Feb 7th to check it. I'll post the results.
K

o

I was thinking about your experiment is it Feb. 7th yet.

o

no....patience grasshopper!
:-)

o

After reading your posts , I tried to chip an Hippeastrelia Durga Pradham , with the same technique , in perlite , without growing hormon. First I covered the bulb with a plastic bag , but as new leaves were growing I had to remove it.
5 weeks later :

chip photo ChipngDurgapradham28012014.jpg

o

Wow... That was fast!!! Mine has about 10 bulblets, but still no leaves. What kind of light is yours getting?
K

o

Wow, that is great. I look forward to doing that sometime, but for now I need to find a way to get fewer Hippies, not more!

o

how did the mother bulb do, did she send out any leafs, roots or did she give up the ghost. And what was the ratio of cuts to bulblets

o

First of all, many thanks to Devon and KB2 for posting the link, which I just watched.

Bonjour Beatrice,

Your results are fantastiques! When it comes to cutting up my bulbs, I have been a coward. I am going to have to try this technique.

Congratulations!

Meilleures salutations,

Blanca

P.S. Pour l'instant, je dis juste bonjour. Je t'enverrai une lettre ou un courriel quand je serai capable.

o

Kristy : mine doesn't have much light , barely enought to grow , but it has botton heat as there is a growing light under the shelf. How ddid you install yours ?
Devon , the mother bulbs were very healthy initally, I applied hot water treatment in prevention as I usually do before repoting plants for killing eventual bugs, and they are sending leaves , certainly because this method doesn't destroy the central part of the bulb, maybe it is a chance for feeding the young bulbs during their growth ? I don't know.
 photo P1285796.jpg
The mother bulb developped new roots too.For the moment it seems that there is more or less one bulblet / cut , but it isn't definitive .
Did you tried the technique too ?
I realling wanted to multiply this variety , so I have to thank you for the link !

Chère Blanca , je te dis à bientot pour plus de nouvelles .

o

I didn't try, at the time I was just glad to get my bulbs back in the ground. my home had just finished being rebuilt from a fire. hopefully they bloom this next season then I'll pick one or two to try it with.

o

So, lets say you want to get a few offsets from a strong healthy bulb, but you don't what to cut it all up and sacrifice it. Could you cut a small bit off the edge of the basle plate, to encourage just a few offsets?

I'm thinking of a controlled recreation of Donna's situation, but without any bugs or diseases.

What do you all think?

K:
Looking forward to your experiment update on the 7th!

Matthew
Indiana.Matt

o

K:
Any updates?

o

If offsets are forming, they are taking their time and starting from the far inside layers. A bit discouraged, but not giving up yet.
K

o

Well, here is an update on my no-id seedling that was "chipped" by the NFB. It is doing great, I really wish I knew the identity of this bulb as I rarely loose tags. I guess I will have to see this one though to see what I am going to have so many of!

There are 6 or 7 bulblets. So Matt, you might want to try your injuring the bulb thought. You might take an apple corer and core out a piece going into the center of the bulb near the basal plate just the way the NBF would.

Donna

o

I have to admit, the bulb that I started out with wasn't doing great. If you look at the original photo with the basal plate that looks like it's been scrubed with steel wool....that wasn't my doing. So, perhaps this bulb was struggling and then I sliced and diced it!!! If I get 1 offset I'll be happy! I think cutting an otherwise healthy bulb would produce better results. I was just trying to salvage the bulb.

IF I LOOK REAL HARD, I think I see some bulblets forming up in the layers. I have never used perlite for this before; I've always used vermiculite.

K

o

Cutting th central growing area might stop the leaves growing up as I did in the recent thread 'propagation by chopping bulbs in two' posted on Feb 4th

I can't wait to try this technique again this spring, so I'll make it a larger scale experiment and see how they develop over the next 12 months

This post was edited by HippieZep on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 14:28

o

I was feeling a bit discouraged by my chipping experiment, so decided to dig up the bulb, clean it up, and really look at what was going on underneath. After doing so and realizing that I was not looking closely enough previously, I see that there are no fewer than 12 new bulbs being formed within the layers of this bulb. Some are quite large, but I just hadn't looked closely enough, as they weren't that obvious and the perlite was sticking to the bulb, obscuring the new bulblets. The addition of bottom heat may have helped (thanks Lena).
K

o

That's great news,

o

And you saved your bulb , great !

o

This is a great thread! This winter was extra cold and I've lost most of my bulbs because they were outside. Next year I plan on starting over. If I had a bulb to propagate, I would join in this experiment! -Tina

o

I think the bulblet inside is putting a leaf out through the top! Look between the slices, you can see a good sized bulblet. Leaf isn't from the mother bulb. Thanks again Lena for suggesting bottom warmth!
K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 10:34

o

That's really a funny experiment. My bulb is developping the same bublets inside , I don't know how many they are.
I began to fertilize , I don't know if it is a good idea but I am afraid all those bublets will die of starvation. Do you fertilize Kristi ?

o

Not yet, but suppose I should start with weak MiracleGro.
K

o

Updates please!!

o

Mine has 3 leaves coming out the top from bulblets and many bulblets of all sizes growing withing the bulb and between layers. It even is growing roots.

I am just not used to using Perlite. I am much more used to vermiculite. I'll post a photo soon.
K

o

I repoted mines today :

there were many small bulbs growing all around the mother bulb , and even below the bulb.

I divided one bulb in 8 parts , tiddy a little the old scales and repoted in small pots , I left the second bulb intact for comparison.

o

Beatrice,
When did you start yours?
Kristi

o

Chère Béatrice,

WOW, WOW, WOW!

Your results are simply amazing.

I congratulate you on your success with this technique.

Cheers and warm regards,

Blanca

photo KissTulip.gif

o

Wow! Look at all those gorgeous roots!! You sure have the right formula for chipping!! I think if I wanted to chip a bulb I'd send it to you and let you do it!! ;-)

What brand of fertilizer do you use?

Donna

o

My little bulb is doing ok. I think it's progressing slowly as it was in bad shape to begin with. There are now 4 leaves out the top, a few coming out the sides, and there are roots. I think adding the bottom warmth 6 weeks in made a good difference.

Beatrice's bulb and offsets look so well ordered. Mine is a real hodgepodge!
K

o

Kristi do you have yours growing in perlite? At least it survived.

o

It is in Perlite. I am going to quit pulling the poor thing up! Now that it has roots, it needs to stay put. I added a little potting mix and sand into the top inch of the Perlite after I took this photo.

It's not doing as great as Beatrice's, but it was dying before I tried this.

My next 2 subjects will be 2 rotting expensive imports, in an attempt to salvage something.
K

o

I've been reading various forums for over a year, but this is the first time I've written anything. I want to chip some bulbs in the next couple of days using the technique/s mentioned above. I have a couple of questions. Can you give me the names of two or three systemic fungicides. I live in a small town in Texas and can find fungicides but no mention on the containers as to whether, or not, they are systemic in nature. My other question is what kind of light to provide the chipped bulb. Do you think south light close to a window would work? I'm guessing it's ok to starting using bottom heat right from the start. Right? Thank you for your help. As soon as I figure out how to upload photos, I'll post a few.

o

Bulbmaniac,
I'm in Spring...where are you?
Kristi

o

Hi, Kristi,
Thank you for responding. I'm so excited about getting to know other people who love amaryllis and gardening. I live in Columbus---basically halfway between San Antonio and Houston. I used to teach in Spring I.S.D. What a small world it truly is!
Nancy

o

Nancy,
My local Ace Hardware ordered some fungicide for me. I don't remember the brand. It was less than $10 for the container of concentrate. Definitely said "systemic" on the label.

I'm going to chip another bulb tonight. I'll post the brand later.
Kristi

o

The brand I got from Ace was Green Light Fungaway. It clearly said systemic, and I didn't have to buy a gallon!
Kristi

o

Thanks, Kristi. I'll look for that at a local farm & ranch supply. I appreciate your help! Good luck with your chipping experiment.
Nancy

o

Sorry for answering so late , and thank you for all your comments , but I am afraid the good results are a coincidence with the variety of the bulb, an hippeastrelia and not an hippeastrum , and the fact it was very healthy . I have to try another bulb for comparison.
Do you think the time of the year has an incidence ? is it feasible with a growing bulb ?
Donna , I have a classic gradual realise fertiliser 10.11.18 , I can't find miracle grow in france.
Kristi , I started mine in december a few days after viewving your pictures. What kind of bulb did you choosed for your new chipping ? a growing one ?

o

My December experiment was an offset of the first Hippeastrum I received as a gift in 1992. It was an old Ludwig hybrid. It was in bad shape with no roots and looked to be failing. In an effort to get at least 1 offset, I tried this.

Last night I repeated the experiment with a bulb from afar that has never had roots, the bulb is about the size of your thumb with a basal plate nearly 1" thick!

I sliced the basal plate, chopped the bulb into 1/8ths, inserted toothpicks, soaked in fungicide and planted in perlite. I am not going to disturb it. When cleaning it up, I saw that there is a red hole going straight down from the neck....so, we'll see what happens. The thicker part of the bulb showed no red.
K

o

Good luck, Kristi!

-Blanca

o

Good luck and lets hope it has a will to live

o

Well...the latest vic...I mean experiment (on the very small imported bulb)....just plain rotted! Guess it was a goner from the start. Expensive waste...

Meanwhile, here is H. Candy Cane. An offset from the first Hippeastrum I got in 1991. It had not roots and was just existing. This is the one I sliced and diced in December...many offsets!
K

o

Is it possible to reverse the order of entries? I have to scroll all the way to the end of the postings to read the latest one. Does anybody know if reversing order can be done?
Thanks,
Nancy

o

Nancy, it's not possible...it's just how the Garden Web forums work! The original post is followed by all the responses. A bit like reading a book....
K

o

Hi, Kristi,
Thanks for the information about posting. I did find the systemic fungicide and will be attempting to chip 2 Gervase bulbs this weekend. Your Candy Cane bulb/s look so healthy. It looks like you've got the hang of it. I'll post photos of my bulbs when there's something to share.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here