Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Brenda May is a winner!

Noni Morrison
13 years ago

I am quite taken with Miss 'Brenda May',!{{gwi:452563}}, {{gwi:452564}},{{gwi:452565}}

Comments (18)

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Very stunning, indeed!
    Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Noni,

Now, you have me totally confused, Is it Brenda May or is it Shirley May, or are you just trying to confuse would be picture thieves!! My Shirley May is just starting to open and if it looks like yours I will be very happy! Yours is very very lovely.. Brenda or Shirley.....both pretty names anyway both worthy of a beautiful flower like yours to be named after them. So glad your freeze didn't get this one!!

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

How BEAUTIFUL!

• cindeea
    13 years ago

WOW look at the range of peach/pinks with that green throat! Beautiful!

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooooooppppssss! It is SHIRLEY MAY! I can't believe I did that! Blame it on mid winter confusion which should be a new diagnosis!

And I am not letting any old picture thieves take away my pleasure in sharing. Let the evil rest on their shoulders, black marks in their books of life!

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

She is a real beauty and really hufge! My one looks a lot smaller! But the pic is 2 years old.
    {{gwi:452566}}

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Oh wow - it is a winner! I love the colors - so spring-like (in what seems like the dead of winter in a freezing rain blanket in NC!).

Alana

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, my Maguire's Flowers seem to be bigger this year. Perhaps it is the extra light they are getting in the greenhouse. All have been a good size.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

oooh, never heard of this one before. So lovely.

this reminds me to ask- what is your experience comparing the bloom time of a cut flower stalk v.s. one left on the bulb- in the same lighting situation?
    thanks much,
    mindy

• organicstarbuck
    13 years ago

Beautiful....thanks for sharing!

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't find much difference in bloom time but I use a drop of bleach and a pinch of sugar in my flower water, and change it as soon as it is less then crystal clear. I have a cut flower business so I use the same techniques with the amies and cleanliness is of the utmost importance. Amies will last an amazing long time in water, but it does differ between varieties. The more substance to the bloom the longer they tend to last. I don't keep the ones that give up early.My breeding goal is toward good cut flowers in great colors or interesting and unusual color combinations.

• quail
    13 years ago

Is Shirley May fragrant? Sounds pretty.
    Michelle

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I doubt if I could tell if it was fragrant. Husband thinks there is "some" fragrance but he is not sure. I do not detect any but don't go by that.

13 years ago

Hi Guys, Hope you don't mind if I add my Shirley May that is now blooming for me with just 2 flowers, but she's a knock out! I don't detect any fragrance on her though. Mine seems to have an overly long stigma, wonder what that means...?

Donna

{{gwi:452567}}

{{gwi:452568}}

{{gwi:452569}}

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, yours is a lot redder! It hadly looks peachy orange at all. What kind of sun conditions do yours have? Mine was in the greenhouse but definitely not much winter sun on it, just growlights and winter murk.

13 years ago

Mine does seen a bit pinker, but it has several color in it peach, various shades of pink and even some orange. I think all three of these posted flowers have a little different look to them, Frank's being the peachiest! But I think yours has the nicest shape! Mine has had a miminal amoung of sun, have just been waiting for it to do something, anything..been sitting on top of an (old fashioned) TV.. probably the warmth of the television helped. Next year, they'll probably all be different again, anyway you look at it it's one gorgeous flower...I didn't detect any fragrance in mine.

Donna

• quail
    13 years ago

Hmmm, maybe this one's fragrance varies, either from bulb to bulb or from younger to more mature? I've had a couple bulbs of other varieties that seem to have done this. Even so, the variations in color sound interesting.
    Michelle

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I really like the colors in this one. It has had NO ugly stage at all, and all the color chages were lovely. Can't wait for the next time it blooms!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz