Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found In Lake...Are They Guppies?

Posted by Marisha_1973 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 05 at 20:25

This is the only "OK" picture I could take, I don't have a great camera for taking aquarium pictures. But the female is in the foreground and the male is in the back.

Image link: Found In Lake...Are They Guppies? (28 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found In Lake...Are They Guppies?

They look like Gambusia to me. A livebearer native to North America

o

looks like a molly or platy to me

o

If they are tropicals that were recently released in a lake in your area (Oregon, from your profile?) I'd think the water would soon be too cold in the lake if not already so, and they wouldn't survive those cold water temperatures through the winter most likely? I can't tell you what fish they are for sure, but I think if it's a case of someone releasing an "exotic" species thinking they'd survive anywhere where there's fresh water, and they're not to bright.
On the other hand "exotic" fish in the wrong places here in the U.S. can pose serious problems for our native wildlife and aquatic life especially!! What's the name of those "exotic" fish that are really a worry to environmentalists since they've been found in several locations in U.S. lakes and evidently those can leave the water on occasion and move a fair distance over land to the next bit of water or even rivers?? I'd say walking catfish, but I'm not sure it's the same species?

o

Does the Dept of health in your area release mosquito fish every year? Sandy

o

it looks like a female guppy to me...i just started rasing them so im no expert....

o

the fish you were talking about that leaves the water from time to time is called the snake head and are banned from the US now not to say that arent here.

o

they are mosquito fish. A live bearer like mollies and platty's and great for a pond with koi keep mosquitos down and provide food for koi with their fry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here