Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palludarium 03

Posted by scott361 (scott361@netscape.net) on
Fri, Nov 3, 06 at 1:37

This is the simple filtration area! The primary job is to act as particulate filtration for the two pumps! The sand/clay layers are clearly visable and nothing was hidden back here. For my next project I will hide this area, although you can't see it from the front anyway. As this was still experimental, I didn't hide this or the colors developing in the substrate layers. I decided half way through construction, that I would build a huge one and I never really finished covering up some of the little ugly construction details!! Everything has been operational for several years now. Considering the pessimism that I encountered here when I first mentioned this a few years ago, I think that it has done rather well.

Image link: Palludarium 03 (39 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palludarium 03

Very nice. looks like a lot of work to set up.

o
RE: Palludarium 03

Actually James, it was very easy!
If you're interested, these are much more recent photos. The photos that I had here were old then.
(If you open the photos in a separate window, I have more scattered around!)
So, that was about a year ago. Nothing has really been changed.
All I do is add or remove orchids, feed the fish, clean the front glass, occasional water changes/new lights, etc.
That's it! The plants do have to be cut back or I'd never get any at the bottom. Otherwise, it's virtually self-maintaining!
I do have a new generation getting ready to take over as the parents age and die. So the population does fluctuate and the plants sent out runners.
Other than that...it's easy
Scott

This is about half of the tank! (100gal tank)
The water fluctuates between 10 and 12 inches. I'd like my next one to be far deeper and more usable land space!
IMG_3426
IMG_4846
IMG_4800

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here