Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdinthepalm

Don't remember these fish years ago?

birdinthepalm
18 years ago

There's a large aquarium which I enjoy , while visiting a local walk-in clinic and I especially enjoy these gold fish, though I don't remember ever seeing them in any aquarium store I've ever visited. They're about four inches long tops and don't seem to have grown much for the past couple of years, so they may be about their maximum adult or mature size. I love the color , but they're sort of stocky and that bump over their heads is sort of interesting. They don't seem very agressive , though I have a suspicion they're a chiclid, and there are also a couple of good sized Severums in the tank with them. Anyway, I guess I'd remember them , when I get my new aquarium, should I find them in any local store , but they may not be that easy to find?? I've seen Gold Severums pictured on a couple of web-sites and they're somewhat similar, but I don't recall seeing the head bump on those, and it's possible they're a cross between the Gold Severums and another chiclid??

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:374009}}

Comments (11)

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Yes they are a cichlid, some type of amphilophus I think. The Chinese restaurant near me has two big huge orange ones in the dining room. (no not to eat haha)
    They are very pretty.

• birdinthepalm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I must say it's hard to tell with some of those various fish how big they get ultimately on researching them, though some varieties can be surprisingly much larger than others of the same genus, as for the gouramis , which don't get especially big except for the "Giant Gouramis" which I unfortunately bought once not knowing it would quickly outgrow a ten gallon tank. Poor thing couldn't turn around in that little tank so it was "a trip back to the store" where I bought it. I guess they're a big food iten where they come from as well, in south China, Burma , Thailand etc. I'll look up the genus you mentioned and see, if I can find a picture under that genus, and thanks!!

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Those are parrot cichlids......do some reseach on these....they are a hybrid.

• birdinthepalm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's funny but , I did look them up under the name mentioned and found what I swear is the spitting image or at least more mature versions of the fish pictured, and they're listed under the common name of "Midas" cichlids.
    I could still be mistaken however, and there are features of other cichlids that they do have.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Midas cichlids is the name I found too. I am amazed how many different beautiful cichlids are on the market nowadays - they look so exotic.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Just realized Sierra's right about the parrot/hybrid thing. Sorry Sierra. They also look a lot like the Midas ones.

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

They look like parrot cichlids to me too... though I wouldn't claim to be any expert on cichlid ID's. If you ever come upon a tankful of parrot cichlids, prepare for a shock... they frequently display the most hideous deformities - no tails, other fins missing, eye deformities, and most frequently, mouth deformities. Some folks find this "cute", though.

• vaderbanger
    18 years ago

they are parrot cichlids a cross between a red devil and a severum
    they list them as aggressive but mine have never been because of the funny mouth. all they do is head butt the other fish lol
    midas cichlid is not a red devil, theres some debate but they are a seperate species. many of them are sold though that have been mixed, a cross between a midas and a red devil..so sometimes you dont know what you are getting
    midas cichlids get these huge humps on the head, like most male cichlids but the midas is the wackiest lol

• czar
    17 years ago

these are definatly parrot cichlids. i saw these quite often but hadnt paid them much atention for they were above my price range but i havnt seen them recently in stores

• james_ny
    17 years ago

Are the colors injected into these fish?

• fishman101
    16 years ago

yes the very bright colored ones are injected the "natural" parrots are either a dull white and black or a dull orange and black any other colors are injected.

Sponsored