Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brugboi2003

My 55 Gallon

brugboi2003
20 years ago

Hi, Just wanted to post my 55 gallon tank, any suggestions??? :) Now that we have our forum, please lets see your tanks :)

Image link:

Comments (8)

• jderosa
    20 years ago

That tank is pretty empty.

What kind of fish are you interested in (fresh or salt water)?

I have lots of experience with freshwater fish - over 35 years. The past 20 years or so have been primarily killifish, and the past 10 have been primarily with South American annual killies, but I have bred a number of fish (catfish, barbs, danios, cichlids, tetras, rainbow fish, gobies and of course killies).

I was thinking of setting up a 55 in my living room with one fish in it - an African Lung fish. Very interesting, large, and lots of personality. But not very pretty, and it will eat any plants you put with it.

You could always plant the tank with valisenaria (corkscrew was always my favorite), and put in 12 bleeding heart tetras. These will get big (3"+), and are unbelieveably beautiful when full grown.

Let us know if you are into Fresh or Salt water, and what experience you have.

Joe 'now you got me thinking...' DeRosa

• brugboi2003
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I would LOVE a wierd fish, but what would a lung fish cost? Real expensive huh? :D I am a fresh watter person, tried salt for a while, but I am doing just fresh now :)

• owensgirl
    20 years ago

I would start by getting a background up (you know, define the space a little better) and some large pieces of driftwood, real or resin. If you go for the unique you could try a brackish water tank with a rope fish or do something else, say with a knife fish or something. My leanings are towards gouramis, african frogs, cory cats, and a nice school (my favorite are rasboras). Good luck!

• brugboi2003
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Humm, I am thinking of draining it, and just put up a small ten gallon with a betta, two clouded tetras (they are 3 or 4 years old now, still in the 55 gallon tank, and some tetras, and then get some orandas, and put them in a pond in the greenhouse :)

• hocky
    20 years ago

Thats a hige tank! You will have to put in one of those wild golden or red arrowanas which do not come cheap. In many countries they are banned. You have to feed them with live lizards, giant centipedes, baby or small frogs and basically anything. Don't put your fingers in the tank or you will be wiped out! They grow to 24inches long even larger if in a bigger tank.

• wvhagan
    20 years ago

Draining the 55 and putting in a ten gallon is like tading in a BMW on a Kia.

• jimkpaph
    19 years ago

Here is a photo of my 55 gallon tank. It has several breeding pairs of Tanganyikan cichlids.

{{gwi:374066}}

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

LOL WVH! well said!

Sponsored