Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustinj

10 gal planted tank

rustinj
20 years ago

I'm new to planted tanks, so I'm starting off small. So far, everything seems to be growing well. I have a simple yeast-based co2 system.

Image link:

Comments (19)

• wolflover
    20 years ago

It may be small, but it's absolutely gorgeous!

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks! I thought smaller would be easier to maintain, but it just means more water changes and much more trimming!

• sam_hurley
    20 years ago

Wow, that is beautiful.
    How long has it been established?
    What a lovely tank.
    Sam

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks, Sam. It's been going for about 6 months now and still growing strong.

• Bev__
    20 years ago

It's lovely......what is a yeast based co2 system?

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Bev,

It's a 2 liter bottle with sugar water and bakers yeast. The yeast eat the sugar and give off carbon dioxide. This carbon dioxide is directed into the tank for the plants. There is a lot of info on the web about making your own (try a "DIY yeast CO2 generator" search). You can find a little more info at the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: CO2 generator info

• jeff_al
    20 years ago

that's the way i like them, chock full of plants and a few fish to keep the plants happy!
    looks great.

• wvhagan
    20 years ago

Nicest 10 gallon I've seen.

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks!

You should check these out.

Here is a link that might be useful: aquascaping contests

• ladybug_guam
    19 years ago

rustinj:
    WWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!
    There are a lot of people out there that have been planting aquariums and haven't achived something as beautiful as yours. If this is your first one, I sure would love to see the next one you make!
    Congratulations!
    Ana :)

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ana,

Thanks for the nice comments! I'll have to stick to one for now...not much room in the apartment.

• edhall
    19 years ago

Nice tank, It's been 8 months since you posted your tank how is it doing now. Here is some more planted tanks for inspiration for you.

http://www.aquabotanic.com/contest2004/contest2004.htm

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ed,

Sorry for the late reply. It's doing better with more light and CO2, but it doesn't come close to the ones you posted :)

{{gwi:374068}}

• fairy_toadmother
    19 years ago

beautiful. i have convinced myself tht if i ever set up a tank again, i want to go with the co2 system and undergravel heating "wires." in the meantime, i look at everyone else's and dream.
    thanks!

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ha, I know how you feel...I'm afraid to scale up. Just stick with a small tank and see if you like it before getting too complicated of a setup.

Thanks!

• imaginators
    19 years ago

Well I used to have a 70 gallon tropical tank then moved out of the state and now i have 2 ponds. I do not want to get a big tank again. Alot of money went into that tank. I have 1 betta fish and thinking about getting a 12 gallon Neno Cube tank. Your 10 gal tank is so beautiful and it looks so natural. Are those living plants? How often do you have to do water changes and vacuum the tank? ]
    Theresa

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Theresa,

I'd prefer a pond any day. Yes, they are all real plants. I usually do a 25% water change weekly, and vacuum about once a year. I don't have any substrate for the plants, so they feed on all the waste that accumulates.

Justin

• fairy_toadmother
    19 years ago

confused. if you don't have a substrate, are they just weighted down? how do they stay so gorgeous?

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry, I meant no special plant substrate...just ordinary aquarium gravel. I guess that means the plants are feeding on the fish waste and aquatic plant fertilizer added every other week. I've been lucky in that I haven't had to worry about water parameters.

Sponsored