Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
holow t decoration.stench.

Posted by the_man_fern (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 14, 07 at 1:50

hello
i have a 29 gallon tank that is 1 year old now about three months ago i put in it a hollow tree trunk decoration.

well i have always had a minimal nitrite level despite every other weekly cleaning and monthly filter maintaince bi weekly feeding etc. and when I lifted the tank hood i got a gaseous smell obviously from bad bacteria
i put two and two together and have realised that the tree trunk has no water flow inside it so the water inside effectively went stagnant allowing a perfect warm cosy hole for bacteria.

what i want to ask to confirm is will putting an air stone inside the trunk stop this gaseous smell and bad bacteria build up or is the hollow decor best left out altogether?

thanks
jamie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: holow t decoration.stench.

I am concerned about the minimal nitrite level after 1 year. Nitrites and ammonia should be at zero (I assume you didn't mean nitr*a*te). Is this a plastic/resin "made for aquarium use" log, or is it a real log? Is it open at both ends or just one? If it is open at both ends there should be enough waterflow without any other intervention. If it is closed at one end, yes, an airstone will create flow - IF that is what is causing the problem. If it is a real log, it should have been cleaned very well before adding to the system. Check this website - www.wetwebmedia.com. They have an ask the expert forum - they do require that you provide system details (water quality values, size, # of fish). I'm more concerned about the nitrites though, because nitrites are deadly to fish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here