Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snakoyd11

bettas in the early morning?

snakoyd11
18 years ago

Hi all.

I've been a member here for a while but I haven't had time to post recently. But I have a dilemma now! I have my bettas on top of my dresser underneath a desk light. I usually have that light on to keep it nice and cozy underneath it, especially on those cold, rainy days where its about 20° outside. But during the week, I'm usually awake at 5 or 6 in the morning, and I have to turn on the light. I usually turn on the big light on the ceiling so its not directly shining on them, but I notice in the morning that they have faded color and are kinda just blobbing around. Is it bad for them to be exposed to sudden light change like that? Is there somthing I can cover their bowls with if its bad for their health? Thanks in advance for any advice!

- snakoyd

Comments (7)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Sudden light can startle them, so make sure you have the top covered. A heater is best for keeping the water a stable, correct temperature. If in a bowl, Ihave heard some using a heating pad (I wouldn't reccomend that, but....). The fading could be a sign that the water is indeed too cold, or the fluctuating temps is a stressor. Stress can lead to color fading. Color fading is also an indicator that the fish is stressed and can soon become ill. Other reasons for color fade are age, however it sounds like yours are somewhat new (had them less then a year) and in small containers. Try to stablize the temperature at 77-80F. See if that helps. As for the light, maybe turn on the hall light first and keep your door open slightly, then turn on your bedroom light after a minute or 2.

• skygee
    18 years ago

I've never noticed colour changes in my bettas. Now with the cardinals, neons and pencil fish, they do fade out when the lights are turned out. It's rather alarming if you're not prepared for this when you turn the light on in the morning and wonder first if those fish have suddenly gotten sick overnight and they're covered with fungus that's hiding their colour... and then also I've wondered where all these pale looking fish came from (thinking they were extra fish I somehow never accounted for! LOL)

Blue rams, too, will change colours depending on situations. Like when they are being aggressive with one another. If on the losing end, they pale out and scoot away. On the winning end, their colours are more vivid.

But with Bettas - I've never noticed this with the ones I've kept. What colour bettas do you have?

• snakoyd11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No the temperature is ok, I've kept my bettas this way for years. They are in 1 gallon containers, not small bowls, it bothers me to see them in those little cups... but thats another issue :(

When I said color fading, it was more like their pigment was slightly paler just cause of the lack of light at night and it does return within about 5 minutes or so. As far as I know the light doesn't bother them, I was just wondering if it would be better to cover them. I haven't had any problems with this before, my fish have all lived long healthy lives.
    But its just somthing I was thinking about this morning. Doesn't hurt to be double-triple sure :)

The two that are under the light that I'm talking about are quite young, the crown tail doesn't appear to even be full size yet, though he could just be smaller overall. We'll see! These two I just bought about a week ago. So far, they are settling in nicely! And bettas really do have distinct personalities. The crown tail is the first male fighter I have ever had that is actually overall quite timid. It may just be he's taking longer to get used to really living and not just sitting there in that shot glass, but usually the guys are quite the show offs! Certainly his neighbor is, and the ones out in the living room are no less showy. I feel like I have a special one! Somthing different than the usual "I'm king of the world" attitude, although if he catches sight of his neighbor the timidness dissipates quite rapidly!

One more question, does this forum allow picture uploads? It would be nice to give them their 15 minutes of fame!

- snakoyd

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Somehow people can do it through photobucket , skygee probably can help you with that. Or, you can click "go to gallery" at the top of the thread listing board for this forum and post them there. I'm not sure why they faded, possibly different type of lighting in your room, or near your dresser. Fluorescent vs. incandescent or different intensity wattage or bulb color, don't know. As long as they are healthy thats what counts but its an interesting enough ? to persue the answer. If I find something I'll give a link. Along the lines of what skygee was saying, male african cichlids can brighten in color or almost completely change to being more colrful when the dominant male is removed from the tank. The next in the pecking order assumes the alpha male role and within 5 minutes its colors intensify, really cool to watch if you ever get a chance.

• Sarah_Bella
    18 years ago

can you see the vertical purple lines on your fish? If so then its a stress situation. If its just a little paler in the morning i wouldnt worry (im no prize in the morning either ;)) usually when the bettas are stressed out they become VERY VERY pale, they become void of almost all colour and have very pronounced vertical stripes.

I have a female who will put on her stripes when she wants food. shes sneaky... females are more prone to stress in my experience than the males are.

• skygee
    18 years ago

I was thinking along the lines of Sarah... just remembered about those horizontal lines that do seem more apparent with younger bettas that I've seen. I think it's actually pretty cool that fish can really change their colours the way they do.

To post a photo you have to have your photo file reside at someplace like picturetrail, photobucket or webshots. I think webshots doesn't allow you to post individual photos... you would need to link to the album.

To put the photo into the text you need to put in this script:

Of course you have to substitute what's within the quote with the http address of where the photo is. Also there shouldn't be any spaces between the and the type inside.

You cannot post a photo that resides on your computer hardrive. It has to be at an online photo sharing site.

• snakoyd11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks all

No there aren't any stripes, its just a little paler like you said (your no prize in the morning either, LOL ). It might be a while before I get time to create a page for photos but when I do I'll post the link to it. But I have to finish customizing my PC before that. Priorities first!!!! I should split my hard drive and have one half just for pics of the fish and the other critters! :) now THERE'S a good idea...

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner