Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning aquairum decor?

Posted by gemstoneminpins (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 06 at 11:01

i recently gutted my 10 gal. and the fake coral decor is covered in black algae. i've scrubbed it with a toohbrush and its still not comming off. any ideas? i don't want to put it back into the tank unless its clean and i really don't want to buy new ones unless i have to. advice?
Bri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning aquairum decor?

Soak it in a bleach solution, 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Scrub again. This could fade it somewhat but "should" kill the algae. I have heard that some have had no luck with this, but that could be because the algae came back because the source wasn't eliminated. They just cleaned the ornament to be recovered by the algae. Just to make sure it is a "black" hair like algae? or BBA Black Brush Algae

o

i dunno if its hair algae... looks like someone dry brushed black paint on the coral. its all over my blue peice and my yellow peice but i've got an arch that is drab in color and i didn't notice any algae on it. algae isn't picky about the color of its surface is it?

o

Is it possible its just a chemical reaction with the color they used to dye it or the paint? Sometimes your water can have high element levels in it. Manganese will stain things black for one. I guess is it stained, or a type of slimy or fuzzy growth?

o

important thing about using bleach. After dipping and soaking in a bleach solution, rinse well and let air and SUN dry. The sun will take care of ridding any remaining toxic properties of bleach.

o

I would toss it out not worth the effort to clean.

Keith

o

Keithgh,
'I would toss out not worth the effort to clean'

Sounds like some of the stuff in my fridge! haha

o

When I had a fish only marine tank I would take the white coral out and bleach it clean with almost half and half bleach and water and soak it overnite. Then I would rinse it a bunch of times in clean water and then soak overnite again in freshwater with a bunch of chlorine remover added. Bleach is basically made of chlorine (chlorine bleach) and will dissipate with the chlorine remover. Left my corals bright and clean and never lost a fish.

Lee

o

Hi, just to let you know I tried the toothbrush thing for quite some time on that tough black algae -- never really did the job. I don't like to use bleach -- had a bad experience with it, even after letting some plastic plants "air out" over a week long.... So now I use a finger nail brush cleaner that I bought at Walgreens. It has short, hard bristles, and is pretty cheap. It works GREAT !!! My plants look better than new, and I don't have to scrub them hardly at all. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here